Ulster Scots hip hop.

comet

Blizzard is "Big snae".

I'm actually quite fluent in Ulster Scots.

The " big snaw " means the ice - age.

" Fernenst ye " means in front of you

" Fornenst ye " means beside you.

An aunt of mine and her sister conversed in this, but they never regarded it as a language.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Im upset that the language mine and your ancestors spoke, and my children still speak is compared with a load of made up $hit and that funding gets diverted into that $hit.

Not so, languages develop organically over thousands of years.
"ulster Scots" was made up in Nelson McCauslands kitchen as a money spinner in the wake of Good Friday.

You really are quite an ignorant person.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
The " big snaw " means the ice - age.

" Fernenst ye " means in front of you

" Fornenst ye " means beside you.

An aunt of mine and her sister conversed in this, but they never regarded it as a language.

Studies do show that many people don't consider the language to be a language, even though they use words from it.

ergo2

The lady in Brussels spoke well, but Ulster-Scots is not a language.

At best a dialect of English, spoken in a broad Ballymena accent

Blokesbloke

For the doubters that 'Ulster Scots' is a straight up legitimate language, get a load of Wullie Drennin and the Ulster Scots Orchestra, North Antrim's prime swingers in 'tha hamely tongue' with their latest hit 'the Lambeg Drum rap'.

[video=youtube;W-8n4PCI4Zw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-8n4PCI4Zw[/video]
Did any UK tax payer money fund this pile of ould shíte please?

former wesleyan

GDPR

Yon wee bit gowl, Dimps, scuttered his kecks and ran aff, so he did, when we cot him blootering.... :D

Blokesbloke

Even a dialect is pushing it ...
Its an accent - if that ...
Agreed. A dialect at best, though it's certainly an accent - if it wasn't an accent it wouldn't exist at all.

It isn't a language and it was "created" as a pretend language because a minority in the PUL community got píssed off that the Tea-Eggs had a real language to identify with and they didn't.

Though why they can't just identify with English, given they are British and English is the dominant language in Britain... well of course they did until there was some dough going for Irish, so they made up "Ulster Scots".

Of course they're only echoing Scotland there with their pretend "Scots" language, because the SNP has Scottish Gaelic but knows it's too much a regional and minority language (though at least it is a real language) to unite Scotland in some senses disunites it, so for the same reason they take English-with-a-Scottish-accent-and-a-smattering-of-uniqueish-words and call it language so they can be "different" to the English but keep speaking... eh... English.

The difference is that this kind of shíte comes from the SNP, who want Scotland to be independent and reject Britishness as an identity. So the rest of the UK expects that kind of nonsense from them.

If you're a Nordie Unionist, you're supposed to value the UK and not want an independent NI or a united Ireland.

Therefore adopting shíte SNP policies is a Very Bad Idea if you wish to maintain the union, because it pisses off even polite and mild-mannered small-c English conversatives like me, and doesn't even impress silly wet-knickered English liberals, most of whom will wet themselves over minority languages but all but the most deranged would see "Ulster Scots" for the sham that it is.

My advice to this mad minority of Unionists? You're British according to yourselves, and you speak English.

Stop pretending otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

darkhorse

Well, I've already pm'ed Socratus O' Pericles about setting up a saith cainty dublin language school. Contact me for job applications. Quango in the making...

GDPR

Agreed. A dialect at best, though it's certainly an accent - if it wasn't an accent it wouldn't exist at all.

It isn't a language and it was "created" as a pretend language because a minority in the PUL community got píssed off that the Tea-Eggs had a real language to identify with and they didn't.

Though why they can't just identify with English, given they are British and English is the dominant language in Britain... well of course they did until there was some dough going for Irish, so they made up "Ulster Scots".

Of course they're only echoing Scotland there with their pretend "Scots" language, because the SNP has Scottish Gaelic but knows it's too much a regional and minority language (though at least it is a real language) to unite Scotland in some senses disunites it, so for the same reason they take English-with-a-Scottish-accent-and-a-smattering-of-uniqueish-words and call it language so they can be different to the English.

The difference is that this kind of shíte comes from the SNP, who want Scotland to be independent and reject Britishness as an identity. So the rest of the UK expects that kind of nonsense from them.

If you're a Nordie Unionist, you're supposed to value the UK and not want an independent NI or a united Ireland.

Therefore adopting shíte SNP policies is a Very Bad Idea if you wish to maintain the union, because it pisses off even polite and mild-mannered small-c English conversatives like me, and doesn't even impress silly wet-knickered English liberals, most of whom will wet themselves over minority languages but all but the most deranged would see "Ulster Scots" for the sham that it is.

My advice to this mad minority of Unionists? You're British according to yourselves, and you speak English.

Stop pretending otherwise.
Its simpler than that - if there were any grants going, they wanted some of the action.

Blokesbloke

I feared (or should I speak "Ulster Scots"and say "feart"? :roll:) this was the case.

My advice to PULs? Stop this shíte and stop it yesterday. You are harming NI's status in the UK.

My advice to CNRs? Forget "Unionist outreach" and try some "English outreach"... and start with pointing out shíte like this. This will harm NI's status in the UK.

Blokesbloke

Its simpler than that - if there were any grants going, they wanted some of the action.
Oh yes of course, but I think there was some bogus identity crap going on too.

The difficulty is that it is a very confused identity, because it seeks to distance itself from Irishness but does it in a way which also distances itself from Britishness.

That would be good if you are trying to achieve an independent NI, but not if you want to keep NI in the UK.

I have come to see that the difficulty with PULs in NI if that their variant of Britishness is largely a Scottish one, as Scotland is pulling away from the Union.

The prospect of NI uniting with an independent Scotland would be a dream come true for the English, but ask ould Sturgeon about it and she'd laugh like a drain; for precisely that reason.

GDPR

Oh yes of course, but I think there was some bogus identity crap going on too.

The difficulty is that it is a very confused identity, because it seeks to distance itself from Irishness but does it in a way which also distances itself from Britishness.

That would be good if you are trying to achieve an independent NI, but not if you want to keep NI in the UK.

I have come to see that the difficulty with PULs in NI if that their variant of Britishness is largely a Scottish one, as Scotland is pulling away from the Union.

The prospect of NI uniting with an independent Scotland would be a dream come true for the English, but ask ould Sturgeon about it and she'd laugh like a drain; for precisely that reason.
NI Pul Identity is just keep croppie down. There is nothing more to it than that.

Hard for the English to believe - they hope there must be more to it. There isnt.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom