Ultra-Orthodox Jews in mass protest over school ruling

The Caped Cod

AS if Israel hadn't enough problems with it's psychotic government and it's incompetent military, now ordinary Israelis have to put up with this;

Ultra-Orthodox Jews have staged one of the biggest protests seen in Israel, to demand their children be educated separately from other Israelis.

Police said 120,000 Ashkenazi Jews rallied in Jerusalem and near Tel Aviv.

They turned out to support parents who refused to let their girls share classrooms with Jewish pupils of Sephardic or Middle Eastern descent.

The Ashkenazi parents, who are of European descent, want segregated classrooms because they say Sephardi families are not religious enough.

Yakov Litzman, an MP from the ultra-Orthodox Ashkenazi party, United Torah Judaism (UTJ), told army radio there was "not a drop of racism" in the parents' decision.

"I don't want my daughter to be educated with a girl who has a TV at home."

BBC News - Ultra-Orthodox Jews in mass protest over school ruling
How nuts is that?

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
AS if Israel hadn't enough problems with it's psychotic government and it's incompetent military, now ordinary Israelis have to put up with this;

How nuts is that?
"I don't want my daughter to be educated with a girl who has a TV at home."
Talk about feckin' fanatics :roll:

truthisfree

I have been watching for some time now to see the cracks show within Israel caused by the separate groupings of different Jewish belief systems, methinks this is just the beginning. ;)

ne0ica

I have listened to NPR the American Public Radio station and they have done very interesting stories about this. One lady said that Jerusalem was becoming more like Iran. The Orthodox Jews want separate buses for men and women, now even separate Psychiatric hospitals. They even stone your car if drive on a Saturday.

Sync

Screw em. Earn enough to send your kids to a private school, suck it up and go public or raise your kids at home. Some sort of kippah wearing 1960s Alabama isn't something to aim for in a modern educational system. Impressive that they were able to organise 2% of the jewish section of Israel to show up, that's the equivalent of 90,000 protesting on the streets here over something.

Last edited:

Malboury

That is pretty nuts. Did she think the TV was going to somehow follow the girl to work and infect her daughter with it's modern ways? Out of interest, under Israeli law, is there anything stopping these people funding and opening a school where they could teach whatever ancient anti-TV dogma they like?

mr_anderson

Its great to see that lunacy is shared on both side of the religous divide.

deirdrem

How will the Israeli propaganda machine deal with this one?
I mean, I'd prefer my daughter to go to school with kids who don't have a TV in their bedroom. Maybe I should ask the government to start a school so people like me can be sure their daughters don't get to know such lowlife?
And then, I'd like everyone to be vegans, so I'd like to government to start a school for kids of vegans, too.
How about it folks, special schools for the kids of vegans who don't have tvs in their bedrooms.
Maybe we could add a few more conditions so as to ensure purity in all senses.
And then when we get our school, we could have a split over some huge issue like whether all the kids clean their teeth twice or three times a day!

former wesleyan

I can so easily understand when Irish people are shocked about religious schooling.

TheMushyStuff

More news on it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lp9G88IFSM]YouTube - Ultra-Orthodox Jews Protest School Ruling[/ame]

USER1234

From the BBC:

Ultra-Orthodox Jews in mass protest over school ruling

Ultra-Orthodox Jewish men protest in Bnei Brak, Israel, 17 June The protesters resent state interference in their religious affairs Ultra-Orthodox Jews have staged one of the biggest protests seen in Israel, to demand their children be educated separately from other Israelis.

Police said 120,000 Ashkenazi Jews rallied in Jerusalem and near Tel Aviv.

They turned out to support parents who refused to let their girls share classrooms with Jewish pupils of Sephardic or Middle Eastern descent.The protests were triggered by a court ruling sentencing some 80 Ashkenazi parents to jail.
The parents face two weeks in jail for contempt of court and were due to start their sentence on Thursday.
'Court is fascist'The Ashkenazi parents, who are of European descent, want segregated classrooms because they say Sephardi families are not religious enough.

Some 100,000 protesters marched through Jerusalem with the 40 couples, who planned to hand themselves over to the police in compliance with a Supreme Court ruling.About 10,000 police officers were mobilised in the city.
I don't want my daughter to be educated with a girl who has a TV at home, Yakov Litzman, MP United Torah Judaism party Israeli press: School dispute,Marchers brandished placards and banners. "The Supreme Court is fascist," one poster read.

One protester, parent and rabbi, Meir Elmaliach, told the crowd from a makeshift stage: "We are strong because God is with us."A similar protest in Bnei Brak near Tel Aviv drew about 20,000 people, said police.The families at the centre of the legal battle come from a strictly observant sect of Hasidic Jews called Slonim, who have Ashkenazi lineage.

'Not a drop of racism'

They have pulled their children out of Beit Yaakov girls' school in the West Bank settlement of Immanuel, and set up lessons elsewhere in the area.The Slonim parents say their objections are based on differences in religious observance between the Ashkenazi and Sephardi traditions.Yakov Litzman, an MP from the ultra-Orthodox Ashkenazi party, United Torah Judaism (UTJ), told army radio there was "not a drop of racism" in the parents' decision."There is a set of rules [in the ultra-Orthodox community]. We don't want televisions in the home, there are rules of modesty, we are against the internet," Mr Litzman was quoted as saying by AFP news agency."I don't want my daughter to be educated with a girl who has a TV at home."The court had given the parents until Wednesday to send their children back to school, but they refused.

ne0ica

I assumed from previous news stories about the ultra orthodox Jews this was about religion. But if you scratch the surface its a racial issue. From what i read the Jews of middle east origin were treated as second class citizens by the European Jews who founded the state of Israel even though in the past the mid east Jews were in a slight majority.

From the BBC:

deirdrem

From the BBC:
'Not a drop of racism'

They have pulled their children out of Beit Yaakov girls' school in the West Bank settlement of Immanuel, and set up lessons elsewhere in the area.The Slonim parents say their objections are based on differences in religious observance between the Ashkenazi and Sephardi traditions.Yakov Litzman, an MP from the ultra-Orthodox Ashkenazi party, United Torah Judaism (UTJ), told army radio there was "not a drop of racism" in the parents' decision."There is a set of rules [in the ultra-Orthodox community]. We don't want televisions in the home, there are rules of modesty, we are against the internet," Mr Litzman was quoted as saying by AFP news agency."I don't want my daughter to be educated with a girl who has a TV at home."The court had given the parents until Wednesday to send their children back to school, but they refused.
Any chance they might leave the West Bank altogether, and also leave Palestine, and go back to where they came from (I understand many ofthese fucwits are from the US)?

ne0ica

Any chance they might leave the West Bank altogether, and also leave Palestine, and go back to where they came from (I understand many ofthese fucwits are from the US)?
and I think over a million have came from Russia since the fall of the Soviet Union.

deirdrem

and I think over a million have came from Russia since the fall of the Soviet Union.
True, but I'm not sure how many of them were orthodox.
Russian Jews had a bit of a reputation for being secularised.

ne0ica

Yes I was neighbors with some when I lived in America. They played the Jewish card when they arrived to get assistance from the Synagogue. But they were really atheists or non practicing at best.

Fermoy

Ashkenazi are the pretend to come from and return to israel Jews . Their Khazar ancestors converted to the religion about 1300 years ago . The zionists (secular) are also Ashkenazi in origin.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies