UN Blunder: Choice of Large-Breasted, Scantily-Clad White Wonder Woman as Ambassador for Women Causes Outrage

Bea C

UN Blunder: Choice of Large-Breasted, Scantily-Clad White Wonder Woman as Ambassador for Women Causes Outrage

Well done to the United Nations for this lack of diplomacy!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37734623

A Senior Infants class would have seen the lack of sense here.
Wonder Woman has been put forward as the ideal representative for the modern woman international? :confused:

Last edited:

Strawberry

Meh. Wonder Woman was always a very feminist superhero despite her scanty costume, and this isn't the first time the UN has appointed a fictional character as a symbolic Ambassador for something or other.

For those who are about to be outraged, remember that Wonder Woman isn't just a kitsch 1970s telly programme, she was the only female lead character in the superhero lexicon from back in the male dominated 1940s onwards. She even ran for President of the US in 1943, so she's way ahead of Hillary Clinton.

Paddy Sarkozy

Sounds a bit thick alright, but I'll reserve judgement until I see who's outraged.:rolleyes:
If we're going down the cartoon character route, then give me Jessica Rabbit over Wonderwoman anytime.
But neither can compete with real flesh and blood women.
That's why my nomination goes to ... Eva Herzigova!

She's apolitical and is know to all generations, though.

Seems stupid, all the same.

The question is who else? I know that doesn't justify the selection. I'd prefer Simone Weil myself, but how much traction would she get? How dumbed down are we?

dbreen

Well done to the United Nations for this lack of diplomacy!

Choice of Large-Breasted, Scantily-Clad White Wonder Woman as Ambassador for Women Causes Outrage

Lynda Carter the main portrayer of wonderwoman had a 34C bust.
I'm not sure you can call that a large breasted woman. Adequate yes, but large, no.

Strawberry

She's apolitical and is know to all generations, though.

Seems stupid, all the same.

The question is who else? I know that doesn't justify the selection. I'd prefer Simone Weil myself, but how much traction would he get? How dumbed down are we?
Wonder Woman wasn't always apolitical. She was written by, and for, feminists back before feminist became tangled up with nonsense like unplatforming Germaine Greer to create a safe space for people who don't agree with one of her opinions. And as I pointed out above, Wonder Woman was the first woman - real or fictional - ever to run for President of the US.

Bea C

Lynda Carter the main portrayer of wonderwoman had a 34C bust.
I'm not sure you can call that a large breasted woman. Adequate yes, but large, no.
I'm quoting the petition!

How the hell do you know her measurements anyway? Have you been stealing stuff off her clothes line?

dbreen

Wonder Woman wasn't always apolitical. She was written by, and for, feminists back before feminist became tangled up with nonsense like unplatforming Germaine Greer to create a safe space for people who don't agree with one of her opinions. And as I pointed out above, Wonder Woman was the first woman - real or fictional - ever to run for President of the US.
There was a feminist who ran for the presidency in the 1870s

Oh, I know that she wasn't always apolitical, and even to suggest she is now is a tentative proposition, but many of these characters have had to be scrubbed a bit in order to make them more palatable. As I have said in another thread, the dumbing down is almost complete. It's almost apposite that issues are dealt with with by representations of stereotypes. Gross in most cases. We see it all the time on P.ie.

It's distressing that all nuance seems to have been abandoned and it may be the price of instant media and instant reaction.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies