Un-named former Conservative Minister arrested. The Dance of the Closet-Skeletons?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Have to be very careful here and I note that all media outlets are being very careful not to drop names but the news is also full of reports of a Tory MP and former Conservative Minister, otherwise referred to as a 'senior tory', arrested at home yesterday on foot of a number of allegations of rape and coercive control over a researcher. It is a historic abuse allegation.

I wonder, staying away from too much discussion of this particular case, whether a chill wind is blowing through the parliamentary ranks where past indiscretions, as they used to be called in politics, come back to haunt.

There does seem to be a wave of such cases. The Tories alone have had three or four MPs arrested in the last few years on various charges. There were high profile cases from other jurisdictions.

Can I just stress this thread is not about edging up to identifying who the MP and former Minister is. That will arrive in fairly short order I'd suggest. So please avoid speculating, as it can only bring trouble one way or another.

owedtojoy

Sync

After disastrous outcomes to some recent inept investigations, I hope they have got it right this time.
It's incredibly difficult to prove. Even looking at the recent Tory conviction this week: you get the feeling that if not for the close similarity of the offences he'd have walked. It's just so hard for the CPS to get a jury to find beyond reasonable doubt on something that may not leave any physical evidence or witnesses.

If I punch you in the stomach in a room without cameras, how can anyone prove I've assaulted you?

Mercurial

Apparently it’s a man in his fifties. Which doesn’t narrow it down at all because the Tory Party is full of men in their fifties.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I believe there are four separate incidents in 2019 and it is believed further charges are being examined. If the victims concerned have any corroborating evidence such as having reported or spoken to someone senior around the time, any witnesses to inappropriate behaviour, then it becomes more than he said/she said.

There is no mention of the gender of the researcher I notice. But the silence on naming the person being questioned is to protect the identity of the victim or victims being worked out.

As with most of these things it will be an open secret at Westminster and for the police to have arrested someone high profile I suspect they have more than he said/she said or possibly other cases which may not be as strong.

Given that four incidents are within the last year to 18 months I suspect the police will have had enough to go to the CPS and satisfy internal police procedures before arresting an MP at home.

Sync

Party seems to have behaved appropriately at least for once.

The Sunday Times reported that a fellow Conservative MP first raised the woman’s allegation with Mark Spencer, the Tory chief whip, and Jacob Rees-Mogg, the leader of the House of Commons, after speaking to the alleged victim a month ago. The Press Association said that Spencer had advised her to make a formal complaint.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'd be careful. There will be people circulating any name they dislike in this space...

ShoutingIsLeadership

He hasn't been charged. Once he's charged, he can be named. Not before.

'The police do not prevent the media from attempting to identify a suspect by outside sources but if the media put a name to the police in an attempt to confirm whether an arrest has been made, then the police should neither confirm nor deny.

When a person is charged the police will name a suspect unless there are reporting restrictions in place or exceptional or legitimate policing purposes. When the investigation is into a crime of a serious nature (the examples given are investigations into rape or murder) the police will take a proactive approach in releasing charging information.'

derryman

I believe there are four separate incidents in 2019 and it is believed further charges are being examined. If the victims concerned have any corroborating evidence such as having reported or spoken to someone senior around the time, any witnesses to inappropriate behaviour, then it becomes more than he said/she said.

There is no mention of the gender of the researcher I notice. But the silence on naming the person being questioned is to protect the identity of the victim or victims being worked out.

As with most of these things it will be an open secret at Westminster and for the police to have arrested someone high profile I suspect they have more than he said/she said or possibly other cases which may not be as strong.

Given that four incidents are within the last year to 18 months I suspect the police will have had enough to go to the CPS and satisfy internal police procedures before arresting an MP at home.

I read somewhere that the alleged victim attended hospital after one incident.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The police can only hold someone for so long without charge and said MP will be well lawyered up. So they'll either have to release or charge fairly soon and at that stage the identity will probably become known, certainly if charges are laid.

Kilbarry

Have to be very careful here and I note that all media outlets are being very careful not to drop names but the news is also full of reports of a Tory MP and former Conservative Minister, otherwise referred to as a 'senior tory', arrested at home yesterday on foot of a number of allegations of rape and coercive control over a researcher. It is a historic abuse allegation.

I wonder, staying away from too much discussion of this particular case, whether a chill wind is blowing through the parliamentary ranks where past indiscretions, as they used to be called in politics, come back to haunt.

There does seem to be a wave of such cases. The Tories alone have had three or four MPs arrested in the last few years on various charges. There were high profile cases from other jurisdictions.

Can I just stress this thread is not about edging up to identifying who the MP and former Minister is. That will arrive in fairly short order I'd suggest. So please avoid speculating, as it can only bring trouble one way or another.
There does indeed seem to be "a wave of such cases".
"Operation Midland was a British police investigation into alleged abuse, conducted by the Metropolitan Police in London from November 2014 to March 2016. The operation focused on the investigation of several high-profile British citizens—politicians, military officers and heads of security—over alleged claims of historic child sexual abuse and homicide. ..... Once Operation Midland was underway, the police began their focus on the men whom Beech had implicated as being members of a VIP paedophile ring – amongst those he had named included the former Members of Parliament Harvey Proctor and Lord Janner, the former Home Secretary Lord Brittan, former Prime Minister Edward Heath, former Chief of the Defence Staff Lord Bramall, the former Director of the Secret Intelligence Service Maurice Oldfield, and former Director-General of MI5 Michael Hanley. "

Note that all were Tories or "Cultural Tories" (like heads of MI5 and MI6). The ONLY one who was NOT a Minister or General or such seems to have been former MP Harvey Proctor but he had once been in a genuine sex-scandal so was a prominent Tory although not high-ranking!

This sounds like more hysterical rubbish with sex allegations being used as a political weapon. (The Deputy Head of the Labour Party Tom Watson was a major influence in pushing the fake scandal!)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Well if you'll do a quick couple of searches on any search engine with 'Tory MP arrested' you'll find a handful of cases featuring none of the Operation Midland names and I believe all of them were sexual abuse and coercive behaviours combined and all of them within the last five years.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom