UN : Save the environment, eat less red meat!

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Oh dear ... so a vegetarian UN chief suggests people should eat less red meat in order to save the plant:

BBC
People should consider eating less meat as a way of combating global warming, says the UN's top climate scientist.

Rajendra Pachauri, who chairs the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), will make the call at a speech in London on Monday evening.

UN figures suggest that meat production puts more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than transport.

"The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has estimated that direct emissions from meat production account for about 18% of the world's total greenhouse gas emissions," he told BBC News.

Telegraph
said people should have one meat-free day to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

The economist, who is vegetarian, said diet change was important in reducing environmental problems associated with rearing cattle and other animals.

Observer
Dr Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change,
His comments are the most controversial advice yet provided by the panel on how individuals can help tackle global warning.
I can just imagine the reaction of the GOP, FF,FG and the IFA ...

So should folks eat less meat ? Perhaps it ought only be served say 2 days a week in state canteens (schools, civil+pub service, museums etc) ?

cYp

C&AG

Website
machinenation.forumakers.com
Did you know that it takes 15 000 litres of water to produce one kilo meat from an animal who is being feed with grains. 150 litres of water is needed to produce one kilo of grains.
http://www.green-blog.org/2008/01/08/1- ... -of-water/

If the above is true then maybe we'll see the market mechanism going into operation soon enough as the world population rises and demands more and more water. Currently world growth is 1.7 million people per week.

And that's before mentioning peak oil.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Have you ever seen such nonsense?

It's true what people say, that these climate change crazies are rapidly developing their own religion. Controlling what people eat is a major part of many religions. Soon they will be moving to people's sexual behaviour.

wombat

The danger with these loonies is that they discredit people who have serious points to make, like crying wolf too often, when it appears no one listens.

joemomma

wombat said:
The danger with these loonies is that they discredit people who have serious points to make, like crying wolf too often, when it appears no one listens.
Is there any anti-climate change measure that won't have its proponents labelled loonies by at least some section of the media and/or public? And I'm not including the deniers in that.

Eating less red meat is a perfectly sensible way to cut greenhouse gas emissions, and in fact is one of the easiest changes an individual can make to cut their carbon footprint.

CookieMonster

SO not happening.

borntorum

CookieMonster said:
SO not happening.
x2.

I like my steak. Frankly, the rest of the world can sizzle for all I care... ;)

CookieMonster

borntorum said:
CookieMonster said:
SO not happening.
x2.

I like my steak. Frankly, the rest of the world can sizzle for all I care... ;)
Solidatity, brother.

Cookie don't have no damn car, cookie likes to walk, cookie likes his steak. End of story. :D

EoinMn

Website
eoinmadden.ie
borntorum said:
I like my steak
I love beef steak too.
Had some great round roast last Wednesday. Yum! An underrated cut of meat.

Anyway, cutting down on beef doesn't mean cutting it out entirely.

Barbarian

Rib Eye FTW

CookieMonster

EoinMn said:
borntorum said:
I like my steak
I love beef steak too.
Had some great round roast last Wednesday. Yum! An underrated cut of meat.

Anyway, cutting down on beef doesn't mean cutting it out entirely.
yeah, but soya steak and bernaise sauce doesn't really do it for me.

Barbarian

D.Harry said:
Ireland's cows produce as much greenhouse gasses as 6,000,000 cars. Eating less red meat makes more sense than downsizing your gas guzzler but the govt. won't want to step on powerful toes.
The red meat industry is huge and goes well beyond the farmers to the likes of the multinationals which are decimating the rain forests to grow soya for animal feed.
This can't be expounded as a simplistic equation like above. There are many environmental and societal benefits to farming which are rarely commented on - especially in a country like Ireland where much of the land is suited only for ruminant grazing, the processes are extensive rather than intensive and the cattle are on a grass based diet rather than a grain fed one.

joemomma

EoinMn said:
joemomma said:
in fact is one of the easiest changes an individual can make to cut their carbon footprint.
Surely you mean their methane or GHG footprint?
Of course - but I'm assuming "carbon footprint" is understood to incorporate all GHGs, which for these purposes are usually expressed as their carbon equivalent.

blucey

how much methane comes from the indian sacred cows, which are feckin useless as they arent even ate?

Barbarian

D.Harry said:
Barbarian said:
[quote="D.Harry":xrg2rxpl]Ireland's cows produce as much greenhouse gasses as 6,000,000 cars. Eating less red meat makes more sense than downsizing your gas guzzler but the govt. won't want to step on powerful toes.
The red meat industry is huge and goes well beyond the farmers to the likes of the multinationals which are decimating the rain forests to grow soya for animal feed.
This can't be expounded as a simplistic equation like above. There are many environmental and societal benefits to farming which are rarely commented on - especially in a country like Ireland where much of the land is suited only for ruminant grazing, the processes are extensive rather than intensive and the cattle are on a grass based diet rather than a grain fed one.
Maybe so, but a great deal of 'Irish' red meat is imported from Brazil where the equation is very relevant. In fact, it might suit the IFA to get behind this move as part of reducing foreign imports.[/quote:xrg2rxpl]
No it's not, and never has.

StripeyCat

"Besides agreeing with the aims of vegetarianism for aesthetic and moral reasons, it is my view that a vegetarian manner of living by its purely physical effect on the human temperament would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind."
-Translation of letter from Albert Einstein to Hermann Huth, December 27, 1930.
Of course, Einstein's views are of no more interest than anyone else.

All the people posting on this thread about eating steak etc etc- there is nothing to suggest that Einstein was any more intelligent than them.

Is there?

goosebump

C&AG said:
Did you know that it takes 15 000 litres of water to produce one kilo meat from an animal who is being feed with grains. 150 litres of water is needed to produce one kilo of grains.
http://www.green-blog.org/2008/01/08/1- ... -of-water/

If the above is true then maybe we'll see the market mechanism going into operation soon enough as the world population rises and demands more and more water. Currently world growth is 1.7 million people per week.

And that's before mentioning peak oil.

That sounds startling but isn't really. All that water is just rain.

Beef is inefficient because of the amount of land it requires, and over time it will require more land, as clean water for humans becomes scarcer (ie to accommodate slurry and grass growth with minimal pollution).

That is the market mechanism that will ultimately reduce beef consumption.

Twin Towers

A utility company in California is providing electricity for 50,000 homes from cow dung methane.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies