UN: Ulster-Scots language doesn't exist

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
The UNESCO world atlas of endangered languages makes no mention of Ulster-Scots:
http://cms01.unesco.org/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/CLT/CLT/pdf/UNESCO-EndangeredLanguages-WorldMap-20090218.pdf
According to the atlas, Irish is mildly endangered, and Manx Gaelic and Cornish are both officially extinct.
But despite the utter rarity of Ulster-Scots speakers (an EU delegation failed to find any) no comment is made by UNESCO on how endangered Ulster-Scots is - because they do not recognise it as a language.
Further proof, if proof were needed at this point, that Ulster-Scots is a scam created by perverts, bigots and chancers to extort money from the British and Irish governments.

shutuplaura

UNESCO are clearly a nest of sectarian papists.

hopi watcher

The UNESCO world atlas of endangered languages makes no mention of Ulster-Scots:
http://cms01.unesco.org/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/CLT/CLT/pdf/UNESCO-EndangeredLanguages-WorldMap-20090218.pdf
According to the atlas, Irish is mildly endangered, and Manx Gaelic and Cornish are both officially extinct.
But despite the utter rarity of Ulster-Scots speakers (an EU delegation failed to find any) no comment is made by UNESCO on how endangered Ulster-Scots is - because they do not recognise it as a language.
Further proof, if proof were needed at this point, that Ulster-Scots is a scam created by perverts, bigots and chancers to extort money from the British and Irish governments.
Agree, but is not the whole entity false, created to ensure that our neighbour maintains a foothold here? And as I have said before , the real victims are those that brand themselves as 'loyalists' and than must ingest a large capacity to hate other human beings so as to reinforce the seige mentality that fosters division and difference. In the process they limit their own capacity to enjoy life to the full.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
I've no problem accepting the reality of an Ulster-Scots identity. It would be foolish to deny reality. Nor do I seek to denigrate the real and legitimate heritage and achievement of the Ulster-Scots people. It's a heritage I'd like to see them re-attach themselves to, rather than persist in the ongoing fiction of being British when they clearly aren't.
But I do object to funding this scam of a spoof language. The EU could find no speakers, the UN doesn't consider it a language at all. When are they going to have the funding pulled on this farce?

shutuplaura

I've no problem accepting the reality of an Ulster-Scots identity. It would be foolish to deny reality. Nor do I seek to denigrate the real and legitimate heritage and achievement of the Ulster-Scots people. It's a heritage I'd like to see them re-attach themselves to, rather than persist in the ongoing fiction of being British when they clearly aren't.
But I do object to funding this scam of a spoof language. The EU could find no speakers, the UN doesn't consider it a language at all. When are they going to have the funding pulled on this farce?
Now what I read about it was that some British Civil Servants on their arts council who were interested in the promotion/funding of Irish Language projects provided some funding for the ulster-scots language as a way of evading acusations of bias against the loyalist community. Basically they recognised that its bogus but they provide them some money to stop them kicking up a fuss at the funding given to the Irish language.

Is this really the case? It seems logical.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Now what I read about it was that some British Civil Servants on their arts council who were interested in the promotion/funding of Irish Language projects provided some funding for the ulster-scots language as a way of evading acusations of bias against the loyalist community. Basically they recognised that its bogus but they provide them some money to stop them kicking up a fuss at the funding given to the Irish language.

Is this really the case? It seems logical.
Pretty much. Although no one will overtly admit it is a farce for fear of facing queries like my own as to why they are still funding it.
The full backstory on the origins of this scam, and how some chancers used the Good Friday Agreement to make millions, can be found here:
Skin Flicks: The Ulster-Scots Scam

The OD

Are they still trying to push an accent as a language?

When I read this, I truly wonder if I want a United Ireland if it means having to share it with wet brained retards who will go to any lengths to disavow any links to being Irish.

Sad, pathetic, stupid and ridiculous - no wonder the DUP is the dominant Unionist party full of flat earth, vicious idiots.

More made up languages (accents) coming:

Ireland
Cavanish
Dundalkian
Corkonian
Healy-Raeish (linguists are still at odds as to whether this is a language or an actual medical condition caused by trying to talk approximately 6 months worth of insincere sh*te in 60 seconds)
Dublinneese

In the UK
Manc/Mancunian
Scouseese
Cockneyish
Geordiann

Guangzhoutom

Yola?

Never mind Ulster Scots, what the hell is Yola?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yola is an extinct West Germanic language formerly spoken in Ireland. A branch of Middle English, it evolved separately among the English (known as the Old English) who followed the Norman barons Strongbow and Robert Fitzstephen to eastern Ireland in 1169.

Mad!

brigg

Yola is an extinct West Germanic language formerly spoken in Ireland. A branch of Middle English, it evolved separately among the English (known as the Old English) who followed the Norman barons Strongbow and Robert Fitzstephen to eastern Ireland in 1169.

Mad!
I vaguely remember reading something at one stage in the local rag about "Fingalian", a language once spoken in Fingal. So after a quick search..

Fingalian: Information from Answers.com
"Fingalian is an extinct language spoken by the people of Fingal, an area to the north of Dublin. It is similar to the Yola language, and the two (both of which became extinct in the mid-1800s) are often referred to as a single language, "Yola and Fingalian".
Fingalian is usually regarded as a dialect of Old English, but it could be a vestige of the Old Norse spoken by the Viking settlers of Fingal."

There were apparantly some odd words still spoken in rural Fingal until relatively recently which could be traced back to it, but no doubt the population explosion of the last few years will have killed off whatever may have been left of it.

Certainly more of a language than Ulster Scots could ever aspire to be.

Jason

Mad!
why are schools not teaching yola?? this is a disgrace it has as much right to be taught as irish.... and latin....

Evil Eco-Fascist

Mad!
It was spoken around Fingal and Wexford and died out in the early 19th century I think.

Xipe Totec

Are they still trying to push an accent as a language?

When I read this, I truly wonder if I want a United Ireland if it means having to share it with wet brained retards who will go to any lengths to disavow any links to being Irish.

Sad, pathetic, stupid and ridiculous - no wonder the DUP is the dominant Unionist party full of flat earth, vicious idiots.

More made up languages (accents) coming:

Ireland
Cavanish
Dundalkian
Corkonian
Healy-Raeish (linguists are still at odds as to whether this is a language or an actual medical condition caused by trying to talk approximately 6 months worth of insincere sh*te in 60 seconds)
Dublinneese

In the UK
Manc/Mancunian
Scouseese
Cockneyish
Geordiann
listen youse fughen arsehowel, oim a pee-ure dubilinesian and dowent yeww be opprestin me cult-yar loy-ik.

de shape o yer head, ye bleedin geebag!

seabhcan

There are actually lots of 'accents' dressed up as languages for political reasons. Belarussian is indistinguishable from Russian. Even Bulgarian is, at best, a dialect of Russian.

Slovak and Czech are the same language. As are Croatian and Serbian.

By the definition used in other countries, Irish is probably 4 closely related languages - Munster Irish, Donegal Irish, etc.

Chrisco

It's a heritage I'd like to see them re-attach themselves to, rather than persist in the ongoing fiction of being British when they clearly aren't.
Identity is entirely subjective; if you feel British, then you are British.

brigg

Hot Dog = Sassinger in a Lang Bap??!
Cowboy Supper = Riever's Mate?!
Pastie = Pastie!!!! ;)

How could they ever expect any neutral observer to take this bullcr*p seriously?
Its like some huge and very expensive practical joke.

LeftOfCentre

Using Language to accentuate one's sectarian views should be avoided at all costs if one wishes to respect the language ...

Claiming Ulster Scot as a Language, to me, is a reply to the misuse of the ''Irish'' Language as a tool in sectarianism in the 6 counties and the republican movement generally.

Many genuine Irish speakers around the island are disgusted with bastardised 'republican' style ''Irish'' spoken by people with more gra for division and sectarianism than any language.

In my view, when comparing the languages I would do it like this.

Republican style sectarian Irish - V - Ulster Scot ....... DRAW

The Irish Language - V Ulster Scot ............... Irish Language wins by a land slide.

locke

I demand funding for Ivernic speakers.

It may have died out 1,200 years ago and have no surviving words, but failing to fund it is discrimination against the people of the South-West

Chrisco

Even Bulgarian is, at best, a dialect of Russian.
I have heard you say this before, and it is absolute rubbish. Bulgarian is an extremely distinct member of the South Slavic language group, which, as also a member of the Balkan sprachbund, shares a number of grammatical and syntactical features quite distinct from Russian, and indeed all other Slavic languages. You may be getting mixed up with the fact that Macedonian is little more than a dialect of Bulgarian.

More or less. But then again, so is Scots Gaelic and Irish.

I also note, JCSkinner, that you rather neatly ignore the fact that Scots is listed as an 'unsafe' language on the UNESCO map, despite arguing on here not last week that it is nothing more than a dialect of English.

Last edited:

locke

There are actually lots of 'accents' dressed up as languages for political reasons. Belarussian is indistinguishable from Russian. Even Bulgarian is, at best, a dialect of Russian.

Not to mention what they're trying to do in Luxembourg.

Trying to codify a Mosellic dialect of German, throwing in a smattering of French and Dutch words and trying to call it a national language. Why bother?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies