• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Unacceptable Troika involvement in Healthcare

• Thread starter Deleted member 17573
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 17573

The Irish Times reports today that Health spending is to be subject to monthly reports to the Troika who will track over-spending and take the necessary corrective actions:

Government has 'nothing to fear' over monthly troika reports on health spending - Political News | Irish & International Politics | The Irish Times - Wed, Apr 03, 2013

While recognizing the need both to generally move towards a balanced budget and specifically to more effectively manage the finances of the health service, the suggestion that our government would hand over control of the level of healthcare provided to us is surely a step too far. Healthcare must be sacred, a right that must never be subordinated to economic interests or purely economic measures, and determination of the level of provision must never be assigned to those whose interests are far removed from the concerns of the middle and lower income groups who will be most impacted by this move. This is where the government must draw a line and say a simple NO. They must reaffirm their commitment to a quality health service as a principle and a goal that is simply not for negotiation.

daveL

The Irish times report today that Health spending is to be subject to monthly reports to track over-spending and take the necessary corrective action:

Government has 'nothing to fear' over monthly troika reports on health spending - Political News | Irish & International Politics | The Irish Times - Wed, Apr 03, 2013

While recognizing the need both to generally move towards a balanced budget and specifically to more effectively manage the finances of the health service, the suggestion that our government would hand over control of the level of healthcare provided to us is surely a step too far. Healthcare must be sacred, a right that must never be subordinated to economic interests or purely economic measures, and the level of provision must never be assigned to those whose interests are far removed from the concerns of the middle and lower income groups who will be most impacted by this move. This is where the government must draw a line and say a simple NO. They must reaffirm their commitment to a quality health service as a principle and a goal that is simply not for negotiation.
Healthcare should be sacred; yes

But not at all costs

And certainly not so that tens of thousands of administrators receive multiple of the average industrial wage behind the facade of sacred healthcare

Let's have some reasoned discussion on the nation's ROI on healthcare rather than some puerile argument derived from sentimental sacred cows...

Crazy horse 6

Everything is up for grabs except the pay and pensions of our political masters. Health,social welfare,education,corp tax etc.. it's all on the table.

D

Deleted member 17573

Healthcare should be sacred; yes

But not at all costs

And certainly not so that tens of thousands of administrators receive multiple of the average industrial wage behind the facade of sacred healthcare

Let's have some reasoned discussion on the nation's ROI on healthcare rather than some puerile argument derived from sentimental sacred cows...
I have no problem with them dealing with the excess administrative infrastructure, but I don't believe it will end there - and I am not prepared to tolerate them dictating a reduction in patient care.

Ulster-Lad

Sailor, you forgot the bit where the Irish healthcare budget is to be debated in the German Parliament.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
The Irish Times reports today that Health spending is to be subject to monthly reports to the Troika who will track over-spending and take the necessary corrective actions:

While recognizing the need both to generally move towards a balanced budget and specifically to more effectively manage the finances of the health service, the suggestion that our government would hand over control of the level of healthcare provided to us is surely a step too far. Healthcare must be sacred, a right that must never be subordinated to economic interests or purely economic measures, and determination of the level of provision must never be assigned to those whose interests are far removed from the concerns of the middle and lower income groups who will be most impacted by this move. This is where the government must draw a line and say a simple NO. They must reaffirm their commitment to a quality health service as a principle and a goal that is simply not for negotiation.
This is precisely what people meant when they said that calling in the IMF effectively surrendered our sovereignty.

Basically, whether this interference is appropriate or not, we can do absolutely nothing about it.

daveL

I have no problem with them dealing with the excess administrative infrastructure, but I don't believe it will end there - and I am not prepared to tolerate them dictating a reduction in patient care.
indeed but any failings to deal with administrative waste, overspend and deliberate misspending are ours..

Our govenrment should be protecting patient care at all costs but they aren't... the system is protecting itself at cost to the patient... this is not the troika's fault

SilverSpurs

Public healthcare has bankrupted the modern world. Let everyone get insurance including 'the poor'. I make exceptions for those born with disabilities or who can otherwise demonstrate their medical condition was caused by force majeur.

D

Deleted member 17573

This is precisely what people meant when they said that calling in the IMF surrendered our sovereignty.

Basically, whether this interference is appropriate or not, we can do absolutely nothing about it.
We can Toland - it requires a firm approach by government. And it might even be a subject on which Labour might profitably exercise themselves.

BrightDay

I think the failure of the Government to deal with healthcare expenditure for two years has a role to play in this as well.

ibis

It's a major spending area, and one which seems to be bedeviled by misspending, waste, inefficiency and special interests. I don't see how the troika can not look at it.

Crazy horse 6

Public healthcare has bankrupted the modern world. Let everyone get insurance including 'the poor'. I make exceptions for those born with disabilities or who can otherwise demonstrate their medical condition was caused by force majeur.

Right wing nut alert.

wombat

You can stamp your feet as much as you like but he who pays the piper calls the tune.

daveL

It's a major spending area, and one which seems to be bedeviled by misspending, waste, inefficiency and special interests. I don't see how the troika can not look at it.
because we have many here who consider all spending on 'health' to be good spending

D

Deleted member 17573

indeed but any failings to deal with administrative waste, overspend and deliberate misspending are ours..

Our govenrment should be protecting patient care at all costs but they aren't... the system is protecting itself at cost to the patient... this is not the troika's fault
My concern is that the Troika will not confine themselves to the problems you highlight but will be closing hospital wards before the year is out.

ibis

We can Toland - it requires a firm approach by government. And it might even be a subject on which Labour might profitably exercise themselves.
Profitably in the sense of recovering some of their lost vote by protecting their supportive vested interests.

daveL

My concern is that the Troika will not confine themselves to the problems you highlight but will be closing hospital wards before the year is out.
no they can't

that has to come through the Irish government