Unbelievable claims in the Irish Independent. Garda Phonetapping Part 3? 4?

Munnkeyman

Astonishing claims made in the Irish Independent by Niall O'Connor and something, it is alleged, the Gardaí and the State have attempted to cover up.
It is alleged that they paid a 6 figure pay off to hush the story .

However, the State signed off on a series of secret pay-offs for gardaí and officials in a bid to keep a lid on yet another major scandal.
Revealed: Gardai tapped the phones of innocent people - Independent.ie
It is alleged that -

• A detective in the Garda Intelligence section felt pressured to tap hones without a warrant.
  • The wrong people had phone taps put on their phones.
  • People who were not in any way suspected of criminality had their phones tapped.
  • The phone taps also recorded calls made by people to politicians.

This is just and endless series of scandals involving the Gardaí and the Irish State and it seems from the story that both have tried to cover this one up!

How long more does the current Government think they can kick the can down the road?

Are the Gardaí fit for purpose anymore, or is it really time for a new police force? It has happened before in this State and can happen again!

Fullforward

This kip is so rotten I now EXPECT that behaviour to be standard.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
This one is particularly interesting as it demonstrates a clear lack of governance over the AGS and you would have to wonder whether there was a political element to the warrant-less phonetapping.

Even worse that the government have apparently signed off on using public money as hush money to prevent AGS personnel and 'officials' (that word being code for civil or public servants?) revealing details publicly.

Is it time to revive those threads discussing whether the state is corrupt or not yet?

bokuden

So what? Fg will do nothing about it. Ff will make a noise and do nothing about it as will yhe independents in government.

stopdoingstuff

This is not unbelievable. The unbelievable part is that people still trust the State.

bokuden

Increasingly i am blaming the media for encouraging this behavior. They simply will not call fianna fail or the government on this, or on their lies. So everyone just carries on.

Half Nelson

This amounts to criminal behaviour.

In addition, official records of phone tapping were supplied to the Dáil. Were these records falsified?

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

Munnkeyman

This amounts to criminal behaviour.

In addition, official records of phone tapping were supplied to the Dáil. Were these records falsified?
And were the people responsible for the official records actually allowed to see them before that?

Mitsui2

Is it time to revive those threads discussing whether the state is corrupt or not yet?
At this point that's hardly the issue for debate - it's more a case of establishing which ways it's corrupt in.

Or - to save time, since the list would probably be shorter - which ways it isn't corrupt in.

Fullforward

It has become so bad in this country that the first question I asked when I saw this story was "Which bigger corruption are they using this to cover"?

Mitsui2

Increasingly i am blaming the media for encouraging this behavior. They simply will not call fianna fail or the government on this, or on their lies. So everyone just carries on.
Unfortunately I suspect they've learned from bitter experience that by and large the voting public as such (or at least enough of them to matter) doesn't really give a toss.

damus

Let me guess, Noreen will establish a review that will look into it, and the govt will applaud her decisive actions and continue to express full confidence in the Garda Commissioner.

Munnkeyman

Let me guess, Noreen will establish a review that will look into it, and the govt will applaud her decisive actions and continue to express full confidence in the Garda Commissioner.
No, she's taken leave for 7-10 days, so the Gardaí are still running themselves.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
She's had more confidence expressed in her than Rafael Benitez. And his nickname at one point in Premier League Football for quite a while was 'the Temp'.

EoinMag

Wait until the full extent of the taking the piss on the Pulse system becomes evident.

They're running rampage helping out their friends, neighbours, family.

I know of a case personally where there was information on a live criminal case passed to one of the defendants cos his cousin was a copper.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It says something when the AGS Intelligence Unit can apparently tap phones at will without a warrant and the Commissioner is still largely in the dark about what is going on.

I think if I had subordinates who could tap 'phones I'd reasonably expect to be better informed at least.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Wait until the full extent of the taking the piss on the Pulse system becomes evident.<br>
<br>
They're running rampage helping out their friends, neighbours, family.<br>
<br>
I know of a case personally where there was information on a live criminal case passed to one of the defendants cos his cousin was a copper.
did you report it to gsoc?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies