Uncomfortable with the Censorship of Trump's comments on RTÉ and other media.

Skin the Goat

It will never be proved if he said it or not or the context in which he said it if he did. RTE probably realizes that one Nativity crib in the White House at Christmas weight more favourably with the Irish Catholic than unproven remarks.
You do realise that the Irish Catholic is becoming rarer than a post of your's without a typo!

Analyzer

The Clintons robbed the relief money. [video=youtube;29CjSOKQurA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29CjSOKQurA[/video]
Let's come together and help one another out....

constitutionus

Actually, I would add the interference is not just US based.

Bonaparte was brutal in his treatment of Haiti before it's independence. He would have been more brutal were it not for the British Navy preventing him.

And then there is that businessman resident in Malta. You know - the one who likes to don the green jersey.

If Haiti want him on any charges, I suggest that we immediately extradite him.

But the Irish establishment will NOT allow that to happen. They will not allow him be sent to a sh1thole prison.
It makes an interesting parallel though.

RTÉ reported as FACT what a political opponent who's party HATES trump alledges, yet refused point blank to report what a politician covered by Dáil privilege said about Dinny.

Man or Mouse

This week, Trump was in for a backlash following comments that he called Haiti and other African countries "shítholes". (Even this site requires a fada over the i to ensure that it doesn't get censored.

RTÉ have an article this morning discussing the comments where the word gets censored to "sh..hole". And this is Ireland where we aren't as upset about "bad words" as our neighbours across the ocean.
Trump in racism denial over immigration comments
https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2018/0115/933331-trump-racism-denial/

All week, CNN in the states have been referring to it as "S-Hole".

I find the censorship very uncomfortable because they were the words spoken by the President. People in positions of influence should not be censored for fear of offence because it is important the true message of what they say is made clear to everyone.

Surely the message behind calling Africa a "shíthole" is more offensive than the word itself?

I'm very surprised the Irish media is self censoring the words of a US president.
All reportage on Trump is nothing more than a smokescreen for what is going on behind the scenes. The media should just not bother with his stupidity and start digging on what policies are being inserted on behalf of his cronies, the super rich. I don't want having his stupid tweets shoved in my face at every twist and turn. Let his followers follow those and report on the skulduggery instead.

Surkov

Now, it seems that the word "allegedly" is showing up in the news media.

As in Trump "allegedly" used the word "sh1thole".

Which is a superficial way of saying, we have no evidence whatsoever that Trump used the term.
Where narrative is king, 'progressives' have no interest in a bothersome little thing like evidence.

Analyzer

It makes an interesting parallel though.

RTÉ reported as FACT what a political opponent who's party HATES trump alledges, yet refused point blank to report what a politician covered by Dáil privilege said about Dinny.
Exactly.

Now, the ENTIRE PURPOSE OF PUBLIC SECTOR BROADCASTING is to report that which is relevant to the public interest in Ireland.

And PRAVDA-rte failed in this regard.

In fact they were dragged into reporting what Catherine Murphy was doing, because Murphy was doing it on the Dail record.

And she was in effect circumventing the self-censorship from PRAVDA, by showing up that a debate occurred in the Dail, on a topic that PRAVDA have been avoiding for two yeaars previously.

Last edited:

mr_anderson

All reportage on Trump is nothing more than a smokescreen for what is going on behind the scenes. The media should just not bother with his stupidity and start digging on what policies are being inserted on behalf of his cronies, the super rich. I don't want having his stupid tweets shoved in my face at every twist and turn. Let his followers follow those and report on the skulduggery instead.
But they can't.
He has known this for decades and exploits them on it time after time.

OrderoftheDragon

Absolutely.

The quality of the output is quite poor, the presenters are not in any way engaging and their desperate need to try to emulate an outfit like the BBC is quite depressing.

They moan about budgets yet splash out on sub par journalists and operations that cost far more than they should.
They are constantly sending "reporters" on the migrant trail, not to report the news but to pump constant propaganda into our homes on a weekly basis, "all migrants are good, those who object are bad".......yadda yadda yadda.

OrderoftheDragon

Exactly.

Now, the ENTIRE PURPOSE OF PUBLIC SECTOR BROADCASTING is to report that which is relevant to the public interest in Ireland.

And PRAVDA-rte failed in this regard.

In fact they were dragged into reporting what Catherine Murphy was doing, because Murphy was doing it on the Dail record.

And she was in effect circumventing the self-censorship from PRAVDA.
Rte has always been the establishment mouthpiece, they have looked the other way on many issues that would have been scandals anywhere else. They are always making a big deal about things that happened 10 years previously, never the scandals of the day.

A shower of jokers vastly overpaid for their toil.

Spanner Island

This week, Trump was in for a backlash following comments that he called Haiti and other African countries "shítholes". (Even this site requires a fada over the i to ensure that it doesn't get censored.

RTÉ have an article this morning discussing the comments where the word gets censored to "sh..hole". And this is Ireland where we aren't as upset about "bad words" as our neighbours across the ocean.

I find the censorship very uncomfortable because they were the words spoken by the President. People in positions of influence should not be censored for fear of offence because it is important the true message of what they say is made clear to everyone.

Surely the message behind calling Africa a "shíthole" is more offensive than the word itself?

I'm very surprised the Irish media is self censoring the words of a US president.
Of all the people who were apparently at the meeting and who I've seen on various snippets etc., I've only heard one say that Trump did not say sh!thole.

Another said he did say it and that he said it multiple times.

All of the rest said they 'couldn't recall' hearing him say sh!thole.

Therefore on balance and because so many couldn't recall (which I suspect is their way of avoiding being hostages to fortunes down the road) I'd go with he did say sh!thole...

But sure who cares at this stage?

Anyone who hasn't made their mind up about Trump one way or another at this stage probably lives under a rock.

ProsandCons

Alleged my hoop !

This is an easy one to resolve - To paraphrase Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister - "....If it's not in the minutes it didn't happen" !!!! Was the meeting minuted ???

Everyone knows what the man is. It's not even news anymore.

Loved the UN spokesman during the week, berating Trump from the cosseted nation of Switzerland. Haiti was just hovering above the ************************hole threshold in late 2010 and then the UN rode into town, introducing cholera to the poor inhabitants.......

Conor_Myers

Excellent Thread!

Whatever about RTE the Indo has also deemed the word too offensive to print in its entirety. This from a paper that previously had very little issue printing anything classed as bad language.

As far as I can see this just confirms that the Irish Media has pretty much surrendered all its critical faculties in relation to Trump and will just parrot the line taken by the US liberal press to the extent of censoring what they never had any issue with printing previously especially as it notches up the outrage factor.

A Voice

https://www.thestandard.co.zw/2014/12/15/mugabe-coward-sithole/

elliebee

Oh for crying out loud - Trump is concerned with national security not asylum. I wish to God our crew were as outspoken.

As commentator after commentator have said - every single person in the States thinks this anyway.

Donald Trump is more concerned about the safety and security of the citizens in U.S. - that's why he was elected.

The Field Marshal

"Hole" should be censored as well.
I think you are right.

In the days of innocence pre RTE there was a hugely popular radio programme called "The School around the Corner".
It was compered by a school teacher Paddy Crosbie who would interview live on air young primary school children about their experiences at school.
A weekly feature of the programme was a kid would be asked to tell a funny story.

Crosbie to school kid Jimmy , aged 6.
" and now Jimmy, tell me your funny story ".

Jimmy:" Me uncle had a donkey" .......[pause].
Crosby: " Go on, go on.........
Jimmy: The donkey got lost and ,and, and.......
Crosby: Keep goin Jimee, we are all listening......what happened to the donkey?
Jimmy:" Well, well , the donkey fell into a big hole and, and ....[pause].
Crosby: "What happened then Jimeee?"
Jimmy:"They could,nt get the donkey out"
Crosby"[genuinely concerned] Oh dear thats terrible, the poor donkey.Did they call the fire brigade?
Jimmy: "No, no, me uncle had to shoot the donkey"
Crosby: [now even more concerned and adopting his most patronising tone to the young child]
"And now Jimmy, just tell the listeners, where did your uncle shoot the donkey?
Jimmy : "He shot him in the hole"

Stunned silence, even the very experienced Crosby could not think of what to say next.

This is not the clip but gives the flavour of the thing.
[video=youtube;yYylJ6UbiBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYylJ6UbiBY[/video]

Last edited:

ger12

You're Labour right?

What's the difference between your trolling of a US female involved in politics and the same shît Labour Party women were subjected to in recent years?

No difference.

You are as bad as them.

Analyzer

You're Labour right?

What's the difference between your trolling of a US female involved in politics and the same shît Labour Party women were subjected to in recent years?

No difference.

You are as bad as them.
Well, actually Sarah Sanders is able to answer questions clearly, and not beat about the bush as some sort of victim.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies