Unemployed P.ie posters?

brigg

Its only a new thread. Most peoples' minds are elsewhere, and rightly so.
Besides, the proposals mentioned in the thread are more to with lessening the 'burden' on civil servants. Genuine unemployed people wont be particularly effected by this measure, and it remains to be seen whether fraudsters will be for that matter.

paddywhack

I would imagine that there would be a significant number unemployed, and I myself am one of those. Would be interesting to know the full extent though.

Goodbody

I presume many are unemployed or retired, that's why they have time to post all day. I suppose I'm technically unemployed in that I quit my job to be a carer for my elderly parents. But I live off my savings and trade the stock market to make a living.

wombat

I suppose I'm technically unemployed in that I quit my job to be a carer for my elderly parents.
Without getting too personal, are you entitled to any assistance from the state?

Goodbody

Without getting too personal, are you entitled to any assistance from the state?
I haven't applied for any. I think that I wouldn't be eligible, as I only returned from overseas a year ago, so I wouldn't be considered resident here long enough to be eligible. I wouldn't feel right to be applying for it anyway, as I haven't paid taxes here for many years. Plus I don't really need it. I will be paying taxes here this year, on capital gains.

Last edited:

Expose the lot of them

I am unemployed and from what I understand this new "anti-fraud" measure will involve the unemployed getting a phone call asking them to sign on by phone, if the person fails to respond after 3 calls they will have to visit their local social welfare office. Clearly this is to reduce the physical presence of the unemployed making work for the staff in the social welfare offices. It also presupposes that all unemployed have a phone. I have no problem with this. I am genuinely unemployed and genuinely seeking employment, on the odd occasion that I have managed to get a couple of days work, I have advised social welfare immediately.

I am all in favour of social welfare fraud being tackled but I would also like to see strong measures taken against those in govt who have padded their expenses and action taken against those in banking and government who have bankrupted the country.

Edo

Was unemployed for the bones of 15 months until the middle of August when desperation kicked in and I used the last of my statutory redundancy and a personal loan from the credit union to start up my own small scale export enterprise.

3 months in - Im still alive - admittedly im taking home less than the dole every week - but the business is growing and Im now employing 2 others on a part-time basis - Im digging in for a tough unrewarding 2 years living on the clippings of tin as my gran would say - but if I can make to then.........

Dont give up - but its time to look outside the box - neccessity is the mother of invention

I finally went to a lifecoach in July - the best decision I've ever made - gave me the confidence to finally take that risk and go for it.

Entrepreneurship is not for everybody I realise - but we are all going to have to take control of our own lives in some way.

ONQ

Most impressive Edo!

I too am in receipt of Jobseekers.
I am trying with a colleague to source work abroad.
We are currently promoting an idea which may come good sometime next year.
I am also studying Management myself to help improve what business acumen and experience I have.
I think Management should be taught as part of the secondary curriculum to all fifth and sixth year students.
Along with business German, French and Mandarin.
Haven't started into doing them just yet;)

ONQ.

Last edited:

Pauli

Was unemployed for the bones of 15 months until the middle of August when desperation kicked in and I used the last of my statutory redundancy and a personal loan from the credit union to start up my own small scale export enterprise.

3 months in - Im still alive - admittedly im taking home less than the dole every week - but the business is growing and Im now employing 2 others on a part-time basis - Im digging in for a tough unrewarding 2 years living on the clippings of tin as my gran would say - but if I can make to then.........

Dont give up - but its time to look outside the box - neccessity is the mother of invention

I finally went to a lifecoach in July - the best decision I've ever made - gave me the confidence to finally take that risk and go for it.

Entrepreneurship is not for everybody I realise - but we are all going to have to take control of our own lives in some way.

Best of luck, Edo. May you achieve much success.

Panopticon

I was unemployed for nearly 6 months at the start of the year. Then I got a job and stopped using the forum so much. Signing on is definitely a huge waste of resources and everyone's time, if there is a better way to do it, great.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies