• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Unemployment rate down slightly to 13.6%

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Unemployment rate standands at 13.6%, down .1 on last month

From the CSO...

Seasonally adjusted Live Register decreases by 6,600 in
October

On a seasonally adjusted basis there was a monthly decrease of 6,600 in the Live Register in October 2010. This follows a decrease of 5,400 in September, and is the first time that the Live Register has fallen in two consecutive months since early 2007. The number of persons on the Live Register now stands at 429,553 which represents an annual increase of 17,146 (+4.2%) in the unadjusted series. This compares with an increase of 22,563 (+5.4%) in the year to September 2010.

Holy Cow

Emigration and FAS courses.

smitchy2

That is a welcome sign.
Hopefully it continues on this trend for all our sakes!

alonso

It's no big deal but why the hell was my clear thread title changed to a less comprehensive badly spelled mess?

Gemlarkin the data on numbers employed is in the Quarterly National Household Survey

http://cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/labour_market/current/qnhs.pdf

Emigration is generally just estimated periodically, not sure if any official diocument is actually released on the issue

alonso

Live register is actually down just short of 13,000, seasonally adjusted down 6,600.

But watch those positive thread titles, Dave doesn't like'm you know.
I'm a reasonablt man tonic. My original thread title is in my post and read

Live register down 6,600, Unemployment at 13.6%

DC seems to have changed it. I don;t know why

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
It was a merged thread, I'd the text written for just after 11, you posted a thread title and a link to a pdf document. Your thread title may have been clear, posting a link to a pdf as the body of your post wasn't.

HarshBuzz

Live register is actually down just short of 13,000, seasonally adjusted down 6,600.

But watch those positive thread titles, Dave doesn't like'm you know.
it is good news

less good news is the undershoot on income taxes, wouldn't you agree?

GDPR

It was a merged thread, I'd the text written for just after 11, you posted a thread title and a link to a pdf document. Your thread title may have been clear, posting a link to a pdf as the body of your post wasn't.
Bollox Dave. This is the second month running that you've changed a mildly positive thread title on the live register figures for no reason at all so far as I can see, except maybe to suit some agenda you have yourself.

alonso

Okay, but you know there's a monthly race to post this hence the lack of detail ;)

I tend to just link to documents like this, which require little explanation.

Tonic, give over. DC's title still referred to a decrease. He could have titled it, just as truthfully - "11,400 increase in Live Register" reflecting the year on year trend.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
No agenda here Tonic, and mind your language, I posted a thread, so did the OPer here, he'd a thread title with just a link, I'd posted a thread with the body of text, I merged both and used the title I used.

I've amended the title slightly now either way.

Please feel free to discuss the substantiative matter rather than killing the thread by having a go at me.

If Alonso *really* wants the thread title changed, that's fine, more than happy to accommodate his request, i'm not happy to accommodate an as-usual attack by you however.

Cassandra Syndrome

So we have 48,000 people as new registrants in Job Seekers Benefit and Job Seekers allowance in October up from 38,000 in September and we have 60,000 people exiting JSB and JSA?

Now a lot of the 32,000 that left the JSB part would have become entrants to the JSA section which had 25,000 entrants. But even with a minimum of 23,000 people who applied for jobseekers benefit for the first time, in other words losing their jobs, are we supposed to believe that there were at least 40,000 jobs created in October?

At most there was about 3,000 jobs full time jobs created in October, so what happened to these figures?

Emigration is running at 10,000 a month. Part time teachers were back in September, what other part time work happens in October?

A large chunk is either being shifted to other Social Welfare schemes or running out of benefits.

Page 8 of the report presents the conundrum.

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/labour_market/current/lreg.pdf

sondagefaux

A very modest fall. Unemployment rates need to start falling at three times this rate before any significant impact is seen.

GDPR

Tonic, give over. DC's title still referred to a decrease. He could have titled it, just as truthfully - "11,400 increase in Live Register" reflecting the year on year trend.
Of the figures he could have used, down 11,000 odd, down 6,600 or down "slightly", he went for "slightly" and this after last month's similar effort. So no, "giving over" doesn’t seem an attractive option to me.

Lets call a Dave a Dave and be damned to it.

GDPR

No agenda here Tonic, and mind your language, I posted a thread, so did the OPer here, he'd a thread title with just a link, I'd posted a thread with the body of text, I merged both and used the title I used.

I've amended the title slightly now either way.

Please feel free to discuss the substantiative matter rather than killing the thread by having a go at me.

If Alonso *really* wants the thread title changed, that's fine, more than happy to accommodate his request, i'm not happy to accommodate an as-usual attack by you however.
Once, no agenda, twice? Give me a break.