• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Unicorns Do Exist, So What Next For NI?

between the bridges

We rarely actually have any real debate on here, just a series of slanging matches ( in which even highly respected posters such as my good-self have occasionally participated :shock2:)

So based on the assumption that the census and mori poll are fairly accurate indications of current thinking in NI (there are plenty of threads were this assumption can be debated) What next for NI?

Now try explaining to either a Loyalist in East Belfast or a Republican in West Londonderry (Bogside) that the majority of 'nationalists' are unlikely to vote for a UI!!

For a start we have Unicorns/Catholic Unionists/CNI or whatever label one wishes to attribute to them, now these may well 'side' with unionism on the BIG question, but only a tiny number of them will vote for unionists parties. A large section of them are still 'nationalists' voting for nationalist parties.

Imho Politically some one has to step up and say 'The status quo is what the majority on both sides wants lets make it work' as the 'centre' party Alliance would seem the ideal candidates but if i am honest i don't see any of the parties doing anything any differently, and if they did i think the one party that could actually benefit the most would be SDLP...

SKBAC

Big up the whole joint-identity aspect of NI. Change "British versus Irish" into "best of both worlds" and move forward from that.

Start thinking in terms of adding rather than taking away, start accepting the idea that north-south relations can be valued without it taking away from east-west ones and think of yourselves as the "missing link" between the folks in Dublin and the ones in London.

Northern Ireland has two nations that feel a great deal of affinity and kinship with it. Stop thinking of that as a threat to either. Bring people together rather than obsessing about seperateness from either the south or mainland Britain.

DavidCaldwell

Big up the whole joint-identity aspect of NI. Change "British versus Irish" into "best of both worlds" and move forward from that.

Start thinking in terms of adding rather than taking away, start accepting the idea that north-south relations can be valued without it taking away from east-west ones and think of yourselves as the "missing link" between the folks in Dublin and the ones in London.

Northern Ireland has two nations that feel a great deal of affinity and kinship with it. Stop thinking of that as a threat to either. Bring people together rather than obsessing about seperateness from either the south or mainland Britain.
Agree 100%.

Now is the moment to try to make steps towards a long-term arrangement that everyone is at least reasonably happy about. Greater North-South co-operation, Gaelic lettering on sign-posts, a flag that everyone could agree on - those might be suitable small steps. Integration of education - not in the sense of destroying Catholic education, but simply ensuring that children from the two sides of the community grow up side by side - might be another (although, like anything that affects our children's education, it is a significant step that we would want to ensure that it would work properly).

Of these, I suspect that a shared flag might be surprisingly significant.

And, if we do get a consensus solution, another thing to be done - find another topic to argue about here.

InsideImDancing

You are dreaming lads, what we get with this result is more British/Unionism rammed down our throats, the Unionist politicos are incapable of going for a best of both worlds scenario, that's the reality.

More of the same ahead and that's also the reality. People are suggesting that we should "make NI work", by doing what exactly? It is what it is and people talking shyte is not going to change it.

Anything that is even remotely Irish will be suppressed by Unionists and that's a fact, SF/SDLP will respond in kind.

Ifor Bach

Website
golang.pl
Both Unionists (well, the more bigoted kind of Loyalists) and Republicans (the Global Tosser types) seem to be their own worst enemies.

Just at the point when there seemed to be some C/N/R acceptance of the Northern Ireland State, the ridiculous flag protests started, exactly the kind of thing that prevents Catholics from accepting the British state.

However, to my mind, the Republican mindset appears to be worse. We get post after post after post of Unionist baiting on politics.ie. I am really at a loss to understand why Republicans wish to unite with those they so obviously hate and despise.

Darren H

I am really at a loss to understand why Republicans wish to unite with those they so obviously hate and despise.
Those republicans you speak of have no intention or desire to unite with Unionists - they want Unionism marginalised as an irrelevance in an all-island state.

DavidCaldwell

You are dreaming lads, what we get with this result is more British/Unionism rammed down our throats, the Unionist politicos are incapable of going for a best of both worlds scenario, that's the reality.

More of the same ahead and that's also the reality. People are suggesting that we should "make NI work", by doing what exactly? It is what it is and people talking shyte is not going to change it.

Anything that is even remotely Irish will be suppressed by Unionists and that's a fact, SF/SDLP will respond in kind.
Finding arrangements that are acceptable to all sides - finding consensus.

It can be done. It was done by France and Germany. They started by co-operating about coal and steel production. We already have a head start - there are lots of areas of co-operation, there are lots of Irish things that are not suppressed by Unionists - e.g. the roads (no border), the Irish Rugby team. I would agree that there should be more - Irish language, Irish sign-posts etc and I agree that Unionist politicians often oppose such steps. But this should change, especially if we can move further away from a winner-loser situation (where Irish-related things are seen as defeats for Unionism) to a consensus situation.

Republic32

Those republicans you speak of have no intention or desire to unite with Unionists - they want Unionism marginalised as an irrelevance in an all-island state.
Unionists would be a 20% voting block in any Unified State.
Whether Republicans in the 6 counties wanted to marginalise them or not,and i have no doubt some would love an attempt at "revenge", It wouldn't happen for the simple reason,that the Republic's citizens wouldn't allow it and they wouldn't remove their lips from the Unionist communities collective arses for about a decade after reunification..
Sure you don't believe a United Ireland will ever happen anyway,so i don't know why you even made that comment.

Ó Ghabhainn

Which won't happen. 20% is too significant for that.

Both Unionists (well, the more bigoted kind of Loyalists) and Republicans (the Global Tosser types) seem to be their own worst enemies.

Just at the point when there seemed to be some C/N/R acceptance of the Northern Ireland State, the ridiculous flag protests started, exactly the kind of thing that prevents Catholics from accepting the British state.

However, to my mind, the Republican mindset appears to be worse. We get post after post after post of Unionist baiting on politics.ie. I am really at a loss to understand why Republicans wish to unite with those they so obviously hate and despise.
SF/SDLP stated before the flag vote that they were anticipating a compromise, which then came from Alliance. If Unionists wanted the make Nationalism comfortable in NI, they would be willing to compromise. But they are not - what they want is for Nationalism to disappear as an ideology and nothing less. That will never happen.

Time for McCrea, McCallister and McClarty to sort something out.

SgtBilko

What next for Northern Ireland? More of the same I'd have thought......with normalisation further decreasing that 21% pro-UI figure.

I'm actually more interested in finding out what the next step is for Irish Republicanism and Sinn Fein in particular. Clearly their 'Plan A' failed as they were unable to bomb us into a United Ireland. Their Plan B (let's outbreed them) is failing miserably as well.........they are merely reinforcing the Union by breeding unionists....who'd have thought it?

Unionists don't need to do anything...we have what we want. But what is the next step for Irish Republicans?

DavidCaldwell

What next for Northern Ireland? More of the same I'd have thought......with normalisation further decreasing that 21% pro-UI figure.

I'm actually more interested in finding out what the next step is for Irish Republicanism and Sinn Fein in particular. Clearly their 'Plan A' failed as they were unable to bomb us into a United Ireland. Their Plan B (let's outbreed them) is failing miserably as well.........they are merely reinforcing the Union by breeding unionists....who'd have thought it?

Unionists don't need to do anything...we have what we want. But what is the next step for Irish Republicans?
If we want our country to be a great place for all its citizens, then there are still things to be done.

DT123

Northern Irish is the way to go.New agreed flag and anthem to start with.Integration of schools to become the top priority.Unionists give up the UJ and GSTQ and republicans forget about the Republic,hey presto a new Northern Ireland for everyone to get behind.

Darren H

Unionists would be a 20% voting block in any Unified State.
Whether Republicans in the 6 counties wanted to marginalise them or not,and i have no doubt some would love an attempt at "revenge", It wouldn't happen for the simple reason,that the Republic's citizens wouldn't allow it and they wouldn't remove their lips from the Unionist communities collective arses for about a decade after reunification..
Sure you don't believe a United Ireland will ever happen anyway,so i don't know why you even made that comment.
I don't believe it will happen in the next 50 years, and one of the reasons for that is the siege mentality of Unionists. However, if and when there is a republican or Nationalist majority in Stormont, I think some more moderate Unionists might think again. A Stormont with a SF majority, whatever the constitutional safeguards, would be pause for thought.

former wesleyan

But what does Eskrimador think ??? :cool:

Mickeymac

I don't believe it will happen in the next 50 years, and one of the reasons for that is the siege mentality of Unionists. However, if and when there is a republican or Nationalist majority in Stormont, I think some more moderate Unionists might think again. A Stormont with a SF majority, whatever the constitutional safeguards, would be pause for thought.

A few words of common sense and reality amongst all this hysteria within onionism over some dopey opinion poll conducted using 1,000 contributors.

The Herren

Do you really believe that republicans want a united Ireland. They want power and the roadmap to getting that is a united Ireland. Republicans are not interested in a united people. For SF the end justifies the means in their quest for power. You will see endless posts here telling the unionists to fek off to hell or Scotland ( maybe there is not much difference there) or wherever they like if they are not willing to accept SF rule in a UI.

C

Castle Ray

Is that why so few people want a UI on both sides? Those wanting a UI certainly seem to be doing so on an anti-Brit and sectarian agenda because there's no other plan put forward of what a UI might be. That's quite probably why a UI is seemingly so unpopular. It's nothing more than Brits out and hate inspired otherwise there'd be at least a bloody plan.

Narcissist

Is that why so few people want a UI on both sides? Those wanting a UI certainly seem to be doing so on an anti-Brit and sectarian agenda because there's no other plan put forward of what a UI might be. That's quite probably why a UI is seemingly so unpopular. It's nothing more than Brits out and hate inspired otherwise there'd be at least a bloody plan.
Come on now...

You're entitled to be against Irish unity, that's entirely your prerogative, but to label the motives of those who want it as 'sectarian' is a nonsense.