Unification or Relocation

Roll_On

What would the terms be?

That the person/family takes the money and agrees never to move back to the united Ireland?

I can see some of the shysters in the nationalist element of the NI population applying for this with the intention of eventually coming back to the united Ireland.

I'd be amazed if either government would be capable of tracking anything after the money had been paid and the initial relocation had taken place.
I was thinking more like being assigned a council house in some Glasgow ghetto, for the same local authority rent, or some such. People who own their homes can afford to move on their own dime.

Roll_On

Also because most normal people don't see the bleeding point.
They probably ask themselves why are they there at all.
Most probably see if as a un mission to stop people knocking lumps out of each other over religious dogma.
Transubstaniation ? Eat Armalite you pig!
Virgin birth and idolatry ? I'm going to blow your pub up!
It's down to education and propaganda.

The BBC coverage of NI from the 70s until recently broadly painted the troubles as being purely sectarian in nature and the UK state was acting in a sort of UN peace keeping role.

Some Brits are even confused after that, thinking that the conflict is actually between Northern and 'Southern Ireland' and that their border was to stop us knocking lumps out of each other.

Other Brits are confused which is which, north or south. Some think both sides are outside the UK in a sort of North/South Korea style. Some think both are within the UK. Some are horrified that we don't use their currency. Some are horrified that we have currency.

Educational standards outside of the poshest schools are very poor, and tabloid rags are king.

NMunsterman

It's down to education and propaganda.

The BBC coverage of NI from the 70s until recently broadly painted the troubles as being purely sectarian in nature and the UK state was acting in a sort of UN peace keeping role.

Some Brits are even confused after that, thinking that the conflict is actually between Northern and 'Southern Ireland' and that their border was to stop us knocking lumps out of each other.

Other Brits are confused which is which, north or south. Some think both sides are outside the UK in a sort of North/South Korea style. Some think both are within the UK. Some are horrified that we don't use their currency. Some are horrified that we have currency.

Educational standards outside of the poshest schools are very poor, and tabloid rags are king.

An expensive education does not necessarily equate to a good one - just listen to Boris Johnson equating the borders of districts in London to the Border in Ireland.....:rolleyes2:

The fact is that the vast majority of people in England do not have the first clue about Ireland - north, south, east, west, Nationalist, Unionist - and even care less.
Yes, you are quite right - the Right Wing propaganda in the British media about Ireland has always painted totally distorted British views on Ireland.

Just listen to the British NI SoS Karen Bradley's ignorance when she blurted out that she was not aware that :

- Nationalists vote for Nationalist parties
- Unionists vote for Unionist parties

Nationalists are well used to this ignorance, arrogance and condescension from Britain - which is one of the reasons we fukked them out of our country (5/6 so far - unfinished business with the remaining 1/6) - but how Unionists can listen to this coming from people that they evidently consider to be their fellow-countrymen is staggering, not to mention humiliating.

It is simply unsustainable - but the longer Unionists refuse to engage in the Re-United Ireland debate, the less bargaining power they will have as Nationalists become the electoral majority by the mid-2020's.

between the bridges

Exhibit A M'Lord...
The plantation started 400 years ago and is ongoing. If it ended 400 years ago why is there still a 'DUP' dictating to the natives about the status of their language, whom they may marry etc.

Fritzbox

Exhibit A M'Lord...
Old Stormont left the stage 50 years ago, the famine is over 150 years ago, Cromwell is 350 years ago, the plantation is 400 years ago, Strongbow is long gone yet you and others on here mention them daily to continue the traditional 800 years of whinging like beatch slapped big girls blouses...
Remind me again - what event it is that the OO are commemorating when they are marching around every month of July - and when did it happen?

between the bridges

Exhibit B M'Lord...

Remind me again - what event it is that the OO are commemorating when they are marching around every month of July - and when did it happen?
And to answer yer question, 328 years, 119 days, 8 hours ago...

Roll_On

I find Karen Bradley's appointment as NI SoS very insulting and I think NI unionists should be even doubly insulted by this appointment. Basically the UK have said, "here's an intern from our back to education program to help solve your complex, long running feude". Surly unionists must think, 'right this lot couldn't give a hoot'.

im axeled

What would the terms be?

That the person/family takes the money and agrees never to move back to the united Ireland?

I can see some of the shysters in the nationalist element of the NI population applying for this with the intention of eventually coming back to the united Ireland.

I'd be amazed if either government would be capable of tracking anything after the money had been paid and the initial relocation had taken place.
and the folks who prefer the half crown to the crown would never be tempted?

Estragon

I find Karen Bradley's appointment as NI SoS very insulting and I think NI unionists should be even doubly insulted by this appointment. Basically the UK have said, "here's an intern from our back to education program to help solve your complex, long running feude". Surly unionists must think, 'right this lot couldn't give a hoot'.
I think you're missing the point. Pig ignorant NI Secretaries of State are the rule as long as I can remember.

But now they are just part of the overall architecture creating a slipway into a reunited Ireland. Where the unionists go? I honestly couldn't give a toss.

A more meaningful question is what steps are the Irish army taking to conduct the operations required in association with reunification.

The British will have no appetite to sustain Rhodesia Nua. The unionists *will* indulge in a spell of guerrilla warfare. It is essential that the Army are equipped and trained to meet the challenge. The best war is a quick war, so they will need to guard against any misplaced squeamishness.

Niall996

I think you're missing the point. Pig ignorant NI Secretaries of State are the rule as long as I can remember.

But now they are just part of the overall architecture creating a slipway into a reunited Ireland. Where the unionists go? I honestly couldn't give a toss.

A more meaningful question is what steps are the Irish army taking to conduct the operations required in association with reunification.

The British will have no appetite to sustain Rhodesia Nua. The unionists *will* indulge in a spell of guerrilla warfare. It is essential that the Army are equipped and trained to meet the challenge. The best war is a quick war, so they will need to guard against any misplaced squeamishness.
I disagree. The world has moved on. Can't see there being much more that civil disorder. Best to treat with kid gloves and let it fizzle out. The OO/British Army went in hard, shot civilians and brutalised the catholic population and in doing so created the IRA and a very long war where they lost thousands without any military success. We should never make the same mistake.

bang bang

I disagree. The world has moved on. Can't see there being much more that civil disorder. Best to treat with kid gloves and let it fizzle out. The OO/British Army went in hard, shot civilians and brutalised the catholic population and in doing so created the IRA and a very long war where they lost thousands without any military success. We should never make the same mistake.
I think Niall, you may be right on this, some civil disorder from the sink estates. I believe this will fizzle out if handled in the way you suggest.

between the bridges

'We' says the keyboard warrior from London, Lmfao...

between the bridges

You sound disappointed that there would not be a violent rampage by your fellow PUL neighbours?
Nah just lmfao at you acting as if you'd do anything about it if there was...

Mickeymac

I think Niall, you may be right on this, some civil disorder from the sink estates. I believe this will fizzle out if handled in the way you suggest.

No disorder sir as the price of gas, to make the firebombs, will be beyond their finances after Brexit :laugh: