Unification or Relocation

PBP voter

Food tasted even better that ever in 81.

Estragon

I disagree. The world has moved on. Can't see there being much more that civil disorder. Best to treat with kid gloves and let it fizzle out. The OO/British Army went in hard, shot civilians and brutalised the catholic population and in doing so created the IRA and a very long war where they lost thousands without any military success. We should never make the same mistake.
Niall, you must know that those aren't the lessons Irish history teaches us.

Unionism has always reacted with violence to any advancement to Irish self-determination. Reunification may be the last ever manifestation of that willful belligerence, but Irish history says it will be absolutely inevitable.

It is crucial that it is stamped down on hard and quickly. The government will be doing it as much for the long term interests of the Mount Vernonists of this world as the rest of us.

The army has to be absolutely determined that no ultramontane carry on will be entertained. It has to be equipped to meet the challenge. It has to have pre-reunification intelligence gathered to ensure the main ringleaders are rounded up the day they march in. Crucially it has to have full backing of government and the resolution to carry out its humanitarian task.

between the bridges

Unionism has always reacted with violence to any advancement to Irish self-determination. Reunification may be the last ever manifestation of that willful belligerence, but Irish history says it will be absolutely inevitable.

It is crucial that it is stamped down on hard and quickly. The government will be doing it as much for the long term interests of the Mount Vernonists of this world as the rest of us.

The army has to be absolutely determined that no ultramontane carry on will be entertained. It has to be equipped to meet the challenge. It has to have pre-reunification intelligence gathered to ensure the main ringleaders are rounded up the day they march in. Crucially it has to have full backing of government and the resolution to carry out its humanitarian task.
Pffft, the Imperial invaders will be met with a Red hand made of lead...

Remember, the storm is a good opportunity for the pine and the cypress to show their strength and their stability.

Ho Chi Minh

Fritzbox

Pffft, the Imperial invaders will be met with a Red hand made of lead...

Remember, the storm is a good opportunity for the pine and the cypress to show their strength and their stability.

Ho Chi Minh
Have you seen the size of my tricoloured chopper?

Hogsback

The big difference this time is that the British military and intelligence services will have zero interest in arming, running, supporting them, and the justice system would not turn a blind eye.

Without state support there is no prospect of any serious resistance.

Newrybhoy

The big difference this time is that the British military and intelligence services will have zero interest in arming, running, supporting them, and the justice system would not turn a blind eye.

Without state support there is no prospect of any serious resistance.
Did the Irish state support the Provos?

michael-mcivor

Did the Irish state support the Provos?
- No- but the Provos had a lot of support from the Irish people- from Irish America- from Libya etc- you don’t need A state- as the Unionists will eventually find out- you need people support-

puffin

I can only hope that you know what you're talking about because no one else does.
Did you get those AKs with your bitcoins yet lmfao, did you buy them before the Bitcoin dropped, Walter Mitty has feck all on you, clean the sticky stuff off your key board, just back from the Pub , and you do make me laugh,

Antóin Mac Comháin

Eh, no. It was about killing soldiers. There are any number of statements made by the IRA on the subject that you can read if you're in any doubt.

And you must mistake me for some 2nd year Arts student in UCD or something. Don't embarrass yourself with that "housing and emoloyment" nonsense. The IRA had no interest in such things; in fact, they savaged those who *were* concerned.
http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/events/hstrike/sands/sands81.htm

I don't think it would be accurate to claim that about Bobby Sands, who was involved in Community politics when he was a teenager, which I presume was directly influenced by the Community Councils which were part of the Éire Nua program, which in turn was influenced by Máirtín Ó Cadhain, the brickies labourer, writer and college professor from Connemara.

Itsalaugh

The relocation being presumably to new homes in Britain. I don't think that the British government would ever offer incentives for that. Those with the means who want to leave badly enough will go. Those who don't have the means are not likely to be that welcome.
British reluctance to commit to a backstop in Ireland is tied to the boost this would give the still very live issue of Scottish independence. Relocation to underpopulated Scotland for the Orange dinasaurs with very generous benefits could be an expedient spanner in the works of to thwart Scottish rebels.

Itsalaugh

- No- but the Provos had a lot of support from the Irish people- from Irish America- from Libya etc- you don’t need A state- as the Unionists will eventually find out- you need people support-
Its shameful how nouveau republicans supported the neo-imperialist/jihadist destruction of Africa's wealthiest country and by Arab levels one of the most progressive islamic societies.

Itsalaugh

State-Security in aparteid Pretoria and the KKK sympathised with the Orange supremacists along with surprisingly large numbers of Labour party people in Dublin.

Estragon

I think the Tamils are probably the example to look at here. A troublesome bunch of separatists in their country's north east. In the end it almost took a genocidal campaign to defeat them.

I think going in hard and sharp is better than sleepwalking into an escalating nightmare of butchery.

michael-mcivor

I think the Tamils are probably the example to look at here. A troublesome bunch of separatists in their country's north east. In the end it almost took a genocidal campaign to defeat them.

I think going in hard and sharp is better than sleepwalking into an escalating nightmare of butchery.
The war between the Tamils and the Sri Lanka Government forces had been going on for decades- it was the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami that devastated Tamil areas after which the Government forces moved in for the kill and killed the Tamil leaders on their last stand on a beach with their backs to the sea- Nature is sometimes the deadliest beast that no General could plan for-

firefly123

can't imagine Loyalist suicide squads in speedboats.