• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Unionism and the monarchy

Gurdiev

UNIONISM AND THE MONARCHY

It is easy to understand old school Unionism in NI. There are racial , tribal and Religious ties that bond the Unionistpopulation of NI to Great Britain.

The strand of faith that is most difficult to understand for Southerners is the allegiance to the Monarchy

The monarchy is essentially an English construct , with German and Pan European connections to an uber class of aristocracy. No Northern Irish person has ever been a part of it , or ostensibly gained very much from its existence.
It is a vastly expensive luxury institution.
London gains from its existence as a tourist attraction. Perhaps the Royal connection offers some benefits to Scotland also.
But what does it offer to Northern Ireland a unionists.

Is there a percentage of the Unionist Population that is anti monarchist ?

Your thoughts gratefully received.

RedCloud

It is easy to understand old school Unionism in NI. There are racial , tribal and Religious ties that bond the Unionistpopulation of NI to Great Britain.

The strand of faith that is most difficult to understand for Southerners is the allegiance to the Monarchy

The monarchy is essentially an English construct , with German and Pan European connections to an uber class of aristocracy. No Northern Irish person has ever been a part of it , or ostensibly gained very much from its existence.
London gains from its existence as a tourist attraction. Perhaps the Royal connection offers some benefits to Scotland also.

I chuckle at our republican Royal watchers. :)

Gurdiev

I chuckle at our republican Royal watchers. :)
Royal watching is just as entertaining as watching any other rich and famous celebrity, brangelina, Sarkozy/Bruni, george Clooney etc.
Doesn't mean you would elect to pay a portion of your tax to own them.

Global Justice

If only ones opposition was so easily dismissed ....
There's no rationale in any circumstance to have a monarchy, let alone have an obsessive fetish for one that wouldn't cross the street to p1ss on them if they were on fire.

It's beyond subservience.

RedCloud

Royal watching is just as entertaining as watching any other rich and famous celebrity, brangelina, Sarkozy/Bruni, george Clooney etc.
Doesn't mean you would elect to pay a portion of your tax to own them.
I'm really not sure it's anyones business but the good people of the United Kingdom ? :)

Gurdiev

I'm really not sure it's anyones business but the good people of the United Kingdom ? :)
So your response is 'mind your own business' ??;)

It's an open thread , you don't have to comment.

RedCloud

So you can't answer. Says it all you subjugated and subordinated mug to an inbred, leachy government-sponging robber baron :)
Just for you, my slow witted buddy boy. :)

RedCloud

So your response is 'mind your own business' ??;)

It's an open thread , you don't have to comment.
I just find it exceedingly quaint, on this Glorious sun filled morning, in our Glorious United Kingdom, that out nat/rep chums want to MOPE about our Glorious Monarchy ?

Royal watchers republican style..........fill your boots :)

Global Justice

I just find it exceedingly quaint, on this Glorious sun filled morning, in our Glorious United Kingdom, that out nat/rep chums want to MOPE about our Glorious Monarchy ?

:confused:

Republicanism by definition has a legitimate right to criticise, question and rightfully oppose a monarchy.

Gurdiev

And you obviously haven't got anything better to do either.....

RedCloud

And you obviously haven't got anything better to do either.....
20 minute dander to my local United Kingdom Pub, old dear.

Just passing the time poking a couple of yokels with a sharp stick, before I go. :)

vivabrigada

Do you support the BNP?

Marcella

Unionist allegiance to the British Crown has always been and remains conditional. I believe the OO stipulate they're loyal so long as it's a Protestant Monarch. If the UK repealed sectarian succession laws barring Catholics from the throne, the day and hour a Catholic becomes head of state - their 'loyalty' is no more.

Gurdiev

20 minute dander to my local United Kingdom Pub, old dear.

Just passing the time poking a couple of yokels with a sharp stick, before I go. :)
So that's a Saturday morning round your way, down the pub before midday , with scant regard for health or peace of mind.
Or have you already done your mediation , an hour of yoga , washed the car / dog/ floor and put the dinner on ?

longmarch

For me it's something of a tradition. It's the way it's been and I'm happy with it. I don't worship the Royals and ultimately they will never really do anything for me but they represent our nation and are fondly thought of throughout the world.

The Queen has devoted her life to the cause of the UK and she has done it very well.

You don't really have to understand it but perhaps just accept that we will pretty much always be pro Monarchs. Not everything boils down to money. The money arguement is usually a cloak of convenience for many to abuse.

Popular Threads

Most Replies