• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Unionism must have a veto on Irish reunification - Seamus Mallon

death or glory

As
NI Nats made a perfectly understandable response to a disgusting referendum designed to remind them of the fact that they had been forcibly included into an illegitimate state-essentially an act of war. This remained the case until the GFA was negotiated.
As we knew anyhow, Irish nats were sneaky regarders and supporters of Ira terrorism and didn't want to do anything that would harm their favourite terrorist scum.
Now they have some cheek to demand it, so it will be treated with the contempt it deserves by the British (DUP controlled) powers in Westminster.

Ireniall

As

As we knew anyhow, Irish nats were sneaky regarders and supporters of Ira terrorism and didn't want to do anything that would harm their favourite terrorist scum.
Now they have some cheek to demand it, so it will be treated with the contempt it deserves by the British (DUP controlled) powers in Westminster.
Stop crying. You got what you wanted, were unable to restrain yourselves attempting to grab all of the spoils in the same manner as you grabbed half of NI which was not yours and surprise, surprise there's trouble. Boo Hoo like.

death or glory

Stop crying. You got what you wanted, were unable to restrain yourselves attempting to grab all of the spoils in the same manner as you grabbed half of NI which was not yours and surprise, surprise there's trouble. Boo Hoo like.
Sure youse have whined and moaned for the last 800 years for getting bitch slapped by us British.
And we still get blamed for your over breeding and over reliance on one crop, and we still gave you soup, but seemingly your stupidity is still our fault???

Ireniall

Sure youse have whined and moaned for the last 800 years for getting bitch slapped by us British.
And we still get blamed for your over breeding and over reliance on one crop, and we still gave you soup, but seemingly your stupidity is still our fault???
I'll grant you that you nearly had us with the famine. It's been all down hill for 'ee since then though hasn't it. How long does it take yee to see the way things are going?

death or glory

I'll grant you that you nearly had us with the famine. It's been all down hill for 'ee since then though hasn't it. How long does it take yee to see the way things are going?
If only you had took the soup and been thankful.
It wasn't too much to ask.

Leinsterview

We have wandered quite a bit from the man who is the subject of this thread. Believe it or not, I remember when he was seen as an irresponsible Republican firebrand: 'I am vehemently opposed to unionism and all it stands for'.
I have a lot of respect for him -- however in this case I think he is trying to stir up controversy in order to sell a book.

Paddyc

Well ok if you want me to indulge your fantasies.
The Twelfth would obviously have to beca public holiday, we would o obviously still be part of the commonwealth.
The Angelus would have to be consigned to history.
We would need guarantees that a sectarian state that decimated the peaceful protestant population would not be able to do the same.
There would need a new flag and anthem and our British culture and traditions would have to be allowed to parade in Dublin
I presume you mean "become a " public holiday. I have no argument with that, I'm all in favour of an extra day off.
Joining the Commonwealth is no big deal either.
When you say "The Angelus would have to be consigned to history" I presume you mean RTE the State Broadcaster, broadcasting the Angelus and not the religious event itself. In that case, all religious broadcasting would have to cease including broadcasts of Church of Ireland and Presbyterian services. So be it.
Seeing that the Irish state didn't decimate anyone in the past, we can certainly guarantee that we won't decimate anyone in the future.
We'd have to negotiate the flag and anthem, South Africa managed to do that and I presume we can come up with a similar concept.
You are more than welcome to parade in Dublin or anywhere else once you meet the usual commitments that anyone else wishing to parade in Dublin or anywhere else requires.

AhNowStop

I presume you mean "become a " public holiday. I have no argument with that, I'm all in favour of an extra day off.
Joining the Commonwealth is no big deal either.
When you say "The Angelus would have to be consigned to history" I presume you mean RTE the State Broadcaster, broadcasting the Angelus and not the religious event itself. In that case, all religious broadcasting would have to cease including broadcasts of Church of Ireland and Presbyterian services. So be it.
Seeing that the Irish state didn't decimate anyone in the past, we can certainly guarantee that we won't decimate anyone in the future.
We'd have to negotiate the flag and anthem, South Africa managed to do that and I presume we can come up with a similar concept.
You are more than welcome to parade in Dublin or anywhere else once you meet the usual commitments that anyone else wishing to parade in Dublin or anywhere else requires.
The dog's that stupid he thought his little request list was a deal breaker ... this is what we're dealing with here .. un feckin believable :rolleyes:

Barroso

You s
Alternatively roll the border back a few miles and thereby 'free' The Bog Side, Strabane, South Armagh, etc. Obviously give those areas a vote first - I mean they would vote for their own freedom wouldn't they?
You should consult a map of the religious balance (as a rough proxy for nat vs unionist). There are wullie and taig local majorities in the most unlikely of places.

Barroso

Yes -I'm sure the politicians expressing these concerns must realise that at some level. They seem not to have thought it out very well probably believing that it's not something that they will have to deal with themselves. I'm quite sure that they will not even attempt to put a higher threshold on it but they want to get it across that they are afraid of a united Ireland where somehow ninety-five percent of Catholics were persuaded to vote for unity with a similar percentage of Protestants against. They're putting it badly but I assume that they want to do what they can to not have that happen. I mean it's too late afterwards when the pollsters are analyzing who voted for it.
True, but as the recent vote for Alliance and the Greens showed, plenty of Protestants are no longer voting for Unionist parties.
Indeed, I was recently speaking to one no longer young Protestant Alliance voter who described themself to me as a Nationalist. I suspect that fear of Brexit will have brought about this change in many more.
And the younger generation will be even less rigid on the Union - particularly those who studied in the South; because Trinity no longer a protestant university for protestant people, and those who come from a PUL background mix with Catholics from north and south alike in Trinity, and many return home with a different set of values from those they grew up with.

Ireniall

True, but as the recent vote for Alliance and the Greens showed, plenty of Protestants are no longer voting for Unionist parties.
Indeed, I was recently speaking to one no longer young Protestant Alliance voter who described themself to me as a Nationalist. I suspect that fear of Brexit will have brought about this change in many more.
And the younger generation will be even less rigid on the Union - particularly those who studied in the South; because Trinity no longer a protestant university for protestant people, and those who come from a PUL background mix with Catholics from north and south alike in Trinity, and many return home with a different set of values from those they grew up with.
Yes -I suppose that one way to look at all of this is that if Ireland had managed to remain unified up to now there would be no support whatever for partition because all of the great factors which pushed us in that direction back in the early twentieth century are gone. However it is much more difficult to re-assemble that which has been sundered with both parts having developed a separate life of their own.

I watched a little snippet about the family of Jamie Dornan the actor who apparently, were traditionally Unionist though I don't know what religion they are. Obviously wealthy they were clearly put out with Brexit and viewed themselves as Europeans and as a result feel closer to the south in general outlook as a result. I do not think of myself as European in a normal every day way. I'm Irish and really that's it. But I really like having the European identity in the background and if you feel something like that it's only when some one proposes to take it away that you realise how much you like it

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies