unionism which is much clearer and easier to comprehend

McSlaggart

"I’m not in favour of a single unionist party: but I am in favour of a unionism which is much clearer and easier to comprehend. I am in favour of a unionism which sets out and promotes the values which underpin their beliefs. I am in favour of a pan-UK unionism and equality of citizenship. "

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/yes-it-s-a-mess-but-unionism-has-everything-to-play-for-and-everything-to-gain-1-8392637

Could a Unionist explain what values which Alex is on about which are not currently shared by everyone who lives in Ireland?

GDPR

"I’m not in favour of a single unionist party: but I am in favour of a unionism which is much clearer and easier to comprehend. I am in favour of a unionism which sets out and promotes the values which underpin their beliefs. I am in favour of a pan-UK unionism and equality of citizenship. "

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/yes-it-s-a-mess-but-unionism-has-everything-to-play-for-and-everything-to-gain-1-8392637

Could a Unionist explain what values which Alex is on about which are not currently shared by everyone who lives in Ireland?
It is old Powellite Unionism which made sense in the 1970s and 80s. However in the context of Scotland on the verge of leaving the UK in the teens of this century it comes across increasingly as a throw back. Alex is being nostalgic.

McSlaggart

It is old Powellite Unionism which made sense in the 1970s and 80s. However in the context of Scotland on the verge of leaving the UK in the teens of this century it comes across increasingly as a throw back. Alex is being nostalgic.
I still have not worked out the big difference between pan-UK unionism and supporting being in the EU?

Dame_Enda

While strongly opposed to Unionism I agree with Kane that for the Union to survive support for it has to be broader, including LGBT people. The DUP are blocking ssm, though imho Westminister may introduce it through direct rule, which would be very ironic.

McSlaggart

And I still not worked out how being pro-EU Unionism is different from being pro-UK Unionism?
Personally speaking Europe is a natural place for Irish people to share their economic and cultural values. I like the UK but it has a very restrictive cultural perspective on the world. Economically we have much more to learn from the rest of the EU than the UK.

vivabrigada

Personally speaking Europe is a natural place for Irish people to share their economic and cultural values. I like the UK but it has a very restrictive cultural perspective on the world. Economically we have much more to learn from the rest of the EU than the UK.
That's just positive, modern forward thinking in the week we had relic Jacob Rees Mogg adressing unionists in the "Newsletter" on forward thinking from the seventeenth century.
The UK is run by spivs.Ian og Paisley comes as the ultimate spiv and doesn't care who knows.

McSlaggart

That's just positive, modern forward thinking in the week we had relic Jacob Rees Mogg adressing unionists in the "Newsletter" on forward thinking from the seventeenth century.
The UK is run by spivs.Ian og Paisley comes as the ultimate spiv and doesn't care who knows.
Was the headline "Walking with Dinosaurs"?

Ex celt

The EU/ECB has certainly taught economic lessons to Ireland for which we shall be paying for the next many decades. After Brexit the EU has further lessons to teach us on taxation and other fiscal matters. It will not be pretty.
The UK’s culture bestrides Europe,and the rest of the world for that matter,like a colossus. With the USA leading the way Anglo-Saxon cultural values dominate the world. English is the lingua Franca in Europe. Hyper nationalism and racism are on the cultural menu in the EU and to be fair we have always been good at these.
There are very interesting times ahead for Ireland post brexit hence the hysteria on this island. A shafting of shaftings awaits us and the advice is to lash on the Vaseline in copious amounts.

Ex celt

How is Scotland on verge of leaving uk? Nothing on the news about this.

GDPR

When NI dissolves into the ROI and therefore into the EU you may well start thinking differently. There is a reason why all the Republican family outside of the Shinners welcomed Brexit. The UK also is a lot less culturally restrictive than France (who I adore) or Italy.

Niall996

Do you know what he's saying? I see a lot of words but nothing really there. He mentions values bit doesn't say what they are for example. It's a poor article. Who is he?

Ex celt

Also what are irish cultural values? I missed this too. Was it on An Nuacht?

Ex celt

Irish[as opposed to Anglo-Irish,Irish Protestant or Irish unionist]Cultural values=
1/A language that no one speaks that is on a costly life support machine.
2/GAA sports that no one else in the world wants to play.
3/Diddely Dee.
4Clerical paedophilia.
5/Sectarianism and racism.
6/Chronic Alcoholism.
7/Irish bars-see 6.
8/The craic-see 6 and 7.

CastleRay

The EU/ECB has certainly taught economic lessons to Ireland for which we shall be paying for the next many decades. After Brexit the EU has further lessons to teach us on taxation and other fiscal matters. It will not be pretty.
The UK’s culture bestrides Europe,and the rest of the world for that matter,like a colossus. With the USA leading the way Anglo-Saxon cultural values dominate the world. English is the lingua Franca in Europe. Hyper nationalism and racism are on the cultural menu in the EU and to be fair we have always been good at these.
There are very interesting times ahead for Ireland post brexit hence the hysteria on this island. A shafting of shaftings awaits us and the advice is to lash on the Vaseline in copious amounts.
What are these economic and cultural values of Irish people that you refer to?

Niall996

Irish[as opposed to Anglo-Irish,Irish Protestant or Irish unionist]Cultural values=
3/Diddely Dee.
4Clerical paedophilia.
6/Chronic Alcoholism.
7/Irish bars-see 6.
8/The craic-see 6 and 7.
No 3. Diddely Dee

[video=youtube;Mwxga8udIio]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwxga8udIio[/video]

FOURGREENFIELDS

Alex Kane is a practical Unionist and not a bigoted Unionist. He strongly believes in his ideology which I believe has no role, part or future on the island of Ireland. Unionism is the remnants and residue of plantation, colonialism and Empire and that should be consigned to the history books. However Alex puts his points across in a decent way and he's fully entitled to do that. However the fact is that practical Unionists are very much in the minority to bigoted, sectarian Unionism as represented by the DUP and Orange Order. That 'Unionism' is totally dictated by rabid hatred of Catholics and an apartheid supremacist mindset and DNA which MUST have total control and a minority to dominate.

Niall996

3/Diddely Dee.
4Clerical paedophilia.
6/Chronic Alcoholism.
7/Irish bars-see 6.
8/The craic-see 6 and 7.
No 2. GAA sports that non one else in the world want to play.

Bit of catching up to do but we're getting there.

https://www.independent.ie/videos/sport/first-allafrican-gaa-team-visit-ireland-30123730.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yzJdi4dCN8

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies