Unionist confidence shouldn't be mistaken as unionist decline.

death or glory

death or glory

Mickeymac

Interesting take on recent election results from Unionist political commentator Newton Emerson.
He's normally on the ball with unionist thinking.

Take time out and have a read Doggie 😁

death or glory

Take time out and have a read Doggie 😁

The only person who reads that tools blogs now are other tools.
Suits you sir.

raetsel

Interesting take on recent election results from Unionist political commentator Newton Emerson.
He's normally on the ball with unionist thinking.
I haven't heard anyone suggesting that anyway, and I don't think anyone in the north would at any rate.
It is a reaction against the stalemate, and possibly against Brexit.
The Brexit issue is far more significant in the context of the campaign for Irish unity.

Mickeymac

I haven't heard anyone suggesting that anyway, and I don't think anyone in the north would at any rate.
It is a reaction against the stalemate, and possibly against Brexit.
The Brexit issue is far more significant in the context of the campaign for Irish unity.

The Irish unity issue and Brexit are now inseparable, recognised now Internationally, unionism lost 33 seats in an election as members of the EU, anyone care to guess the loss of seats would have been if Britain were to have dragged the six counties outta that union?

DJP

anyone care to guess the loss of seats would have been if Britain were to have dragged the six counties outta that union?
I like Theresa May and I hope she stays as PM for as long as possible. Who the next UK PM is will be crucial in terms of Brexit, if it does indeed go ahead.

Mickeymac

I like Theresa May and I hope she stays as PM for as long as possible. Who the next UK PM is will be crucial in terms of Brexit, if it does indeed go ahead.

The next Tory leader will be a hard Brexiteer and will take the rap for the breakup of the U.K., not much to do on that score as it appears it has already happened albeit not officially.

Marcella

So now that the two main unionist parties have lost seats again, the Alliance party are reclaimed as unionists or soft unionist.

This would be the party that helped bring down the union flag over Belfast city hall, the backstop supporting Alliance party, the Irish Language act supporting Alliance party whose current President described NI as not really a country but a colony while expressing her support for Irish unity...

death or glory

So now that the two main unionist parties have lost seats again, the Alliance party are reclaimed as unionists or soft unionist.

This would be the party that helped bring down the union flag over Belfast city hall, the backstop supporting Alliance party, the Irish Language act supporting Alliance party whose current President described NI as not really a country but a colony while expressing her support for Irish unity...
I hadn't heard or seen her in quite a while. You would nearly think they were ashamed of her.

Lord Talbot

With SF and FF Jr. at the helm of northern nationalism, and 1916 triumphalism ascendant in the south, the union is truly secure.

Ardillaun

Local elections are an opportunity to register dissatisfaction with the party you usually vote for. Obviously, many unionists are unhappy with the DUP dinosaurs but will probably see little option other than to vote for them again in the general.

Newrybhoy

The clue is in the name dear.

The Alliance Party of Northern Ireland.

Lord Talbot

DUP vote was up by 20,000, but unionism down overall and nats slightly up. 'Other' vote almost doubled.

DUP are cannibalising the weaker unionist parties, and TUV vote being halved is futher evidence of the party entrenching to the right under Foster.

Expect this trend to continue, with DUP being the only unionist force in 10 years, but appealing less and less to the centre. Similar to Fianna Fail in the south - a rural, ethno-religious party of social conservatives.

SF meanwhile up by 6,000, and they will continue eating into the soft SDLP underbelly. But at the same time, like the DUP, failing miserably to appeal to anyone outside their ethno-religious core.

Last edited:

Cdebru

DUP vote was up by 20,000, but unionism down overall and nats slightly up. 'Other' vote almost doubled.

DUP are cannibalising the weaker unionist parties, and TUV vote being halved is futher evidence of the party entrenching to the right under Foster.

Expect this trend to continue, with DUP being the only unionist force in 10 years, but appealing less and less to the centre. Similar to Fianna Fail in the south - a rural, ethno-religious party of social conservatives.

SF meanwhile up by 6,000, and they will continue eating into the soft SDLP underbelly. But at the same time, like the DUP, failing miserably to appeal to anyone outside their ethno-religious core.

Wow insightful

In other news tomorrow is Tuesday

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies