• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Unionist confidence shouldn't be mistaken as unionist decline.

death or glory

I should add:
nationalists also have a non sectarian option in the SDLP anyway (whether you accept that premise or not is neither here nor there).They are a bit like NI21 except that they arrived 40+ years earlier.
Furthermore I seem to recall that Alliance councillors and others promoting an inclusive agenda were elected in Derry and Fermanagh-Omagh last weekend, and at the expense of sitting nationalists.
Nationalists also vote for other parties who promote an inclusive non-sectarian agenda like People Before Profit.
This idea that people who vote for Alliance are unionists is utter nonsense and is easily debunked when you look at where Alliance transfers go in PR elections.
The SDLP a non sectarian party whose leader carrys a coffin at a Republican paramilitary style funeral.
I don't think so.

all the best

England won a World Cup over 50 years ago but what has that got to do with you?

And no, I mean soccer. There are many versions of football.
No you mean Association Football,soccer is an Americanism derived from "soc" in the middle of the word association and used to differentiate from what they call football,

death or glory

England won a World Cup over 50 years ago but what has that got to do with you?

And no, I mean soccer. There are many versions of football.
But all over the world it is the real football.
It's only in nationalist areas that they call a sectarian sport played with your hands and a ball football.
Well if sporting success was our mantra we would join a UK wide football team of which England on the mainland would be the main player, obviously.

death or glory

Clutching at straws...............................

I've proved that they do. And stop fantasising with silly legalese. You are not a barrister.
Say's the man that was telling me yesterday that I was going to be sued .

Golah veNekhar

It's only in nationalist areas that they call a sectarian sport played with your hands and a ball football.
Well if sporting success was our mantra we would join a UK wide football team of which England on the mainland would be the main player, obviously.
DOG which thinker has most influenced your political thought?

AhNowStop

So the dopey dog hasn’t heard of American Football :rolleyes:

No surprise really I suppose ....

Fuk dog you’re thicker than the asteroid belt son

Socratus O' Pericles

You’ve never been to Rugby?

raetsel

Good stuff. Good to see you forgetting about that UI bollicks and making NI the best it can be.
:rolleyes:

I doesn't surprise me at all that you don't understand that the Euro election is not a referendum on Irish unity.

raetsel

Interesting. I just checked the figures myself on Wikipedia from that election and indeed most Alliance transfers were to the SDLP.

I wonder is the increased vote for them and the GP last weekend really soft Unionist voters voting for them? It seems that that's a popular view at least among Unionists (see Newtown Emerson's tweet in OP) but is it actually true?
Some of the swing clearly came from soft unionists but not all. The best guide to that in any election is found in the destination of the transfers.

Roll_On

I think the Fleg on City Hall can come down permanently now, Nationalist parties + the Greens, led by Malachai O'Hare, have a voting majority and don't need to depend on Alliance anymore for compromise solutions with unionist councillors, who now have a mere 19 out of 60 seats in Belfast.

As the Capital of Northern Ireland and Ulster, it's great to see that policy there will now be entirely nationalist led. A far cry from how the City was 100 years ago, or even 20 years ago. Long may the unionist decline continue

I notice in Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon the unionist have lost 5 seats, nationalists gained 2 and alliance gained 3. Leaving 22 unionists, 16 nationalists and 3 Alliance. While that's good progress, it's a shame the unionist majority wasn't toppled, there's always 2024 I suppose.

Ardillaun

You need to get out more. In North America your approach would cause confusion.

Obviously, in a two team scenario for the British Isles, some of you up there would try to join a UK team but you'd only have a player or two per decade who'd be good enough. Most 'unionist' players would look to the Irish team for a chance to play internationally.

raetsel

I think the Fleg on City Hall can come down permanently now, Nationalist parties + the Greens, led by Malachai O'Hare, have a voting majority and don't need to depend on Alliance anymore for compromise solutions with unionist councillors, who now have a mere 19 out of 60 seats in Belfast.
His name is O'Hara.
I don't think that either the Greens or PBP would want to get involved in that argument tbh.
The issue of flag-flying on designated days is not that big an issue and not worth causing any more division over at this point.
Let them have their designated days for now.
There are far more important issues in Belfast and nationalist parties should prioritise the work of eliminating sectarian tensions rather than contributing to their increase.

Last edited:

Ó Ghabhainn

Is the multi-quote function working for anyone else?

I notice in Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon the unionist have lost 5 seats, nationalists gained 2 and alliance gained 3. Leaving 22 unionists, 16 nationalists and 3 Alliance. While that's good progress, it's a shame the unionist majority wasn't toppled, there's always 2024 I suppose.
The issue of flag-flying on designated days is not that big issue and not worth causing any more division over at this point.
Let them have their designated days for now.
There are far more important issues in Belfast and nationalist parties should the prioritise the work of eliminating sectarian tensions rather than contributing to their increase.
Yeah, if you're going to attempt to bring them over, best not bombard them with what they might term 'offence' (whomever the "they" may be).

Better to improve the city first at least and show that you're not there to take all away. Show them that "all" is not reliant on a piece of cloth.

raetsel

Yeah, if you're going to attempt to bring them over, best not bombard them with what they might term 'offence' (whomever the "they" may be).

Better to improve the city first at least and show that you're not there to take all away. Show them that "all" is not reliant on a piece of cloth.
I'm in Belfast at least twice a month, and expect that to increase for family reasons, from now on. I drive past Belfast City Hall regularly and it would never even occur to me to check whether there is a flag above it or not. Who the hell really cares about those "designated days"?
The safest route towards a united Ireland will inevitably involve a generous helping of tolerance along the way.

raetsel

No you mean Association Football,soccer is an Americanism derived from "soc" in the middle of the word association and used to differentiate from what they call football,
This is typical of the utterly stupid and gratuitously patronising nonsense NI unionists like to get exercised over when they bother to engage in any conversation at all with their perceived southern inferiors about sport.
And it is a load of bollix. Sky TV's Soccer Saturday debunks the myth. It is the accepted international term for the sport nowadays in the English speaking world.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies