• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Unionist confidence shouldn't be mistaken as unionist decline.

Newrybhoy

This is typical of the utterly stupid and gratuitously patronising nonsense NI unionists like to get exercised over when they bother to engage in any conversation at all with their perceived southern inferiors about sport.
And it is a load of bollix. Sky TV's Soccer Saturday debunks the myth. It is the accepted international term for the sport nowadays in the English speaking world.
That's the Football Association Australia you are talking about

Nevermind the
Union of European Football Association

Federation of International Football Associations

And not to forget the late to the table

Football Association of Ireland.

Soccer just doesn't cut it.

Wee tip.

If you play it with your hands, it's not Football.

raetsel

Nevermind the

Wee tip.

If you talk about "soccer" anywhere in the world where English is widely spoken and understood, the hearer will immediately understand what the term means. That is all that matters. The opinions of coarse-spoken, bowler-hatted and very prejudiced Ulster hillbillies is not relevant. :)

Cdebru

Nevermind the

Wee tip.

What does IRFU stand for ? or RFU if you prefer ?

Or AFL or NFL ? Or even EFL ?

AhNowStop

What does IRFU stand for ? or RFU if you prefer ?

Or AFL or NFL ? Or even EFL ?
The terminally insecure little loyalist loon you’re conversing with would be more inclined to know what UVF, UFF & LVF stood for :rolleyes: .... being as he’s a laptop warrior and all ...

death or glory

death or glory

If you talk about "soccer" anywhere in the world where English is widely spoken and understood, the hearer will immediately understand what the term means. That is all that matters. The opinions of coarse-spoken, bowler-hatted and very prejudiced Ulster hillbillies is not relevant. :)
Everyone sensible knows that football means the real football.
In Ireland you have the two governing football bodies FAI and the IFA, guess what the F stands for.
All over the world and especially the UK there are real football clubs and all FC's, not a soccer to be seen.
It's only in countries that are no good at the real football and have never won anything that they call there own insular Mickey mouse sports football.

Socratus O' Pericles

Yes, I do go to Rugby, but we don't have the cheek to call it "football" even though it is Rugby Football.
Here in Dublin we call it Gaelic Football or gah to distinguish it from hurling . Also known as bogball and stick fighting respectively. Dublin are the arch proponents of the art of Garlic football , you should come down and visit us, take in a game.... you’ll be more familiar when as is inevitable Dublin comes to visit you.

death or glory

Here in Dublin we call it Gaelic Football or gah to distinguish it from hurling . Also known as bogball and stick fighting respectively. Dublin are the arch proponents of the art of Garlic football , you should come down and visit us, take in a game.... you’ll be more familiar when as is inevitable Dublin comes to visit you.
Thanks for the invitation, I may just do that.
It's far too sectarian up here, they won't let me join.
We call it GaaRa up here, don't know why.
Come on he Dubs.

between the bridges

Pretty sad that they couldn't invent new names for their hand based sports, don't you think?
ISS... International Slapball Soccer....

Roll_On

There are far more important issues in Belfast and nationalist parties should the prioritise the work of eliminating sectarian tensions rather than contributing to their increase.
Removing flags will decrease tensions, it won't be hard to convince the green party of that.

raetsel

Removing flags will decrease tensions
:rolleyes:
Yeah of course. You must have been about three years old in 2012.
it won't be hard to convince the green party of that.
The Greens will not want to be involved in this, and if it comes up again you can rest assured that they will probably decide to remain neutral.
You're dreaming.

Roll_On

Surely having no flags = less tension. The alternative being one side having one up. Removing it equalises things, and removes tensions.

raetsel

Surely having no flags = less tension. The alternative being one side having one up. Removing it equalises things, and removes tensions.
You're ignoring the obvious here.
The 2012 experience proves that it will likely cause widespread disruption.
But irrespective of that, you're not being realistic in assuming that the Greens will want to tackle this. They won't want to touch it with a barge poll, because it is not likely to be a priority for their voters and would actually lose them support. If you want to know what sort of voters they attract have a look at where their transfers go.
For example, when Mal O'Hara was eliminated in N Belfast in the 2016 assembly election 38% went to Alliance, another 41% went to SDLP and PBP, while only 12% went to Sinn Fein.

Last edited:

Socratus O' Pericles

Come on he Dubs5 billion, seriously 5 billion...David Mc Court must be the new Dinny.
H.
Come on he Dubs.
We normally merely say Up The Dubs...but a good effort nonetheless, you’ll fit in well when we take back control.

Roll_On

You're ignoring the obvious here.
The 2012 experience proves that it will likely cause widespread disruption.
This just proves that one community is noisier than the other. Logically, no flags=neutral, nationalists might be noisy about the fact that it's there but it certainly isn't an equal set up or a less contentious set up.

But irrespective of that, you're not being realistic in assuming that the Greens will want to tackle this. They won't want to touch it with a barge poll, because it is not likely to be a priority for their voters and would actually lose them support. If you want to know what sort of voters they attract have a look at where their transfers go.
I don't know if they will or not, but I hope they do, SF should work on persuading them. Belfast can no longer be a unionist city, or seen to be such.

devonish

This just proves that one community is noisier than the other. Logically, no flags=neutral, nationalists might be noisy about the fact that it's there but it certainly isn't an equal set up or a less contentious set up.

I don't know if they will or not, but I hope they do, SF should work on persuading them. Belfast can no longer be a unionist city, or seen to be such.
Climate change, Brexit, stagnant economy, the decline of city and town centres, nope none of these, top of your agenda - Flags.

Socratus O' Pericles

You couldn't control a dispute in Mothercare.
They are particularly viscious, two Mammies fighting over the last bargain buggy... You weren't there man!

As regards a UI it's on the way, I should have said power Willbe vested in Dublin... control in Brussels.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies