• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Unionist confidence shouldn't be mistaken as unionist decline.

raetsel

I don't know if they will or not, but I hope they do, SF should work on persuading them. Belfast can no longer be a unionist city, or seen to be such.
Sinn Fein's fixation with identity politics isn't shared by the sort of nationalists who vote Green. In fact I'd suggest that most would find it embarrassing. And if SF push the issue they may well lose votes, in the same way as the UUP did last week in Belfast as a result of their attacks on Alliance.

Paddyc

Surely having no flags = less tension. The alternative being one side having one up. Removing it equalises things, and removes tensions.
Leave the flag alone. Adopting standard British policy was a reasonable compromise and going back now would be seized upon as more 'crocodile' behaviour.

Run an efficient council and earn re-election, then have a look at flags and the rest but do your job first would be my advice.

redneck

Sinn Fein's fixation with identity politics isn't shared by the sort of nationalists who vote Green. In fact I'd suggest that most would find it embarrassing. And if SF push the issue they may well lose votes, in the same way as the UUP did last week in Belfast as a result of their attacks on Alliance.
Identity politics? Well the use of the Ulster Scots dialect by N.I Unionists would suggest that they are interested in playing politics with language issues.

redneck

With all respect to the "Ulster scots" language ahem, how many speakers has it. Why do Ulster folk feel the need to have their own language. And why do the Southern Media or FFG not call them out on it?
Anyway I think that there is scope for a new flag and a new song for N.I. Something both communities could agree on:
A Green white and Blue flag for N.I. A bit like the Green ,white and Orange tricolour.
The song "Danny boy" for an anthem.

Roll_On

Climate change, Brexit, stagnant economy, the decline of city and town centres, nope none of these, top of your agenda - Flags.
the flags aren't top of my agenda, just a topic I brought up. City Council can't do anything about Brexit, Climate Change or the economy.

Roll_On

With all respect to the "Ulster scots" language ahem, how many speakers has it. Why do Ulster folk feel the need to have their own language. And why do the Southern Media or FFG not call them out on it?
Anyway I think that there is scope for a new flag and a new song for N.I. Something both communities could agree on:
A Green white and Blue flag for N.I. A bit like the Green ,white and Orange tricolour.
The song "Danny boy" for an anthem.
Almost half the population don't want a 'Northern Ireland' at all.

Roll_On

Surely removing flags is a step against identity politics.

raetsel

Identity politics? Well the use of the Ulster Scots dialect by N.I Unionists would suggest that they are interested in playing politics with language issues.
And moderate nationalist politicians should lead us away from that shyte.

redneck

And moderate nationalist politicians should lead us away from that shyte.
What "shyte" are you talking about. You say an Acht na Gaeilge is not important, I say it is. One reason is Unionists insist on Ulster Scots dialect being treated as a language. It is not imho.
So how are moderate Nationalists going to sort it out. Sinn Féin are moderate nationalists, remember when Sdlp were in power, there was widespread trouble on the streets of N.I. They were in power from '73 to 2009. Most of the Troubles.

raetsel

What "shyte" are you talking about. You say an Acht na Gaeilge is not important, I say it is.
Eh? I never said that, nor do I believe it.

One reason is Unionists insist on Ulster Scots dialect being treated as a language. It is not imho.
I have no strong feelings about Ulster Scots. It is not important.

So how are moderate Nationalists going to sort it out. Sinn Féin are moderate nationalists, remember when Sdlp were in power, there was widespread trouble on the streets of N.I. They were in power from '73 to 2009. Most of the Troubles.
The SDLP were the cause of all that violence during the Troubles? Well it's a novel argument anyway I suppose...............🙄
One of the main reasons for the failure of the northern state was the complete contempt that the Unionist government showed towards the rights and cultural traditions of the Irish nationalists in their midst. There is a good lesson in that.
Irish unity is very likely to happen sometime within the next 20 to 30 years, maybe sooner. If it is to be successful, then it will require nationalists to be generous and tolerant of the values of the former unionist population.
People from the nationalist tradition are the majority in Belfast now and will be in NI as a whole very soon. It is a simple reality though that moderate nationalists can live with the status quo on flags for the present.
Change is coming of course but there is a delicate balance to be struck. As John Hume, the greatest Irishman of the 20th century memorably repeated on quite a few occasions: "You can't eat a flag."

Last edited:

rem81

What would a Unionist in Ireland know about democracy???
"if yous want democracy go down south to Ireland ye fenian bastards"

Talk Back

"if yous want democracy go down south to Ireland ye fenian bastards"
That about summed it up until we Irish dismantled the orange sectarian cesspit - the artificial 6 county abomination will be lucky if it still exits come the sham centenary in 2021.

rem81

That about summed it up until we Irish dismantled the orange sectarian cesspit - the artificial 6 county abomination will be lucky if it still exits come the sham centenary in 2021.
Here, the free state is obviously not Ireland but a part of Ireland. Nor does their defence force have any right to claim they are the ONH, as they are obviously the descendants of the illegitimate and renegade (deserts or betrays a set of principles, country, or organisation). Here, Ireland is a much older nation than the upstart England.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies