Unionist consent to constitutional change

death or glory

The

There are enough old useless sectarian republican bigots on this site without having to look at Collins' latest diatribe.

Has he still got the comments switched off?

Lol.
Well said.

But that's Mickeys BFF you are talking about.

raetsel

You could still firmly believe in Santa and the tooth fairy and Eire to win the next World cup, but that doesn't make it correct.
Us British have always had a "what we have we hold" mentality much like the Irish romantic notion of a United Ireland.
You're outnumbered now. You're already a minority in NI, and you'll be an even smaller minority in another 20 years. Face up to it. A referendum now looks very likely to deliver a majority pro-Irish unity vote. After that it is all over.

Mickeymac

The

There are enough old useless sectarian republican bigots on this site without having to look at Collins' latest diatribe.

Has he still got the comments switched off?

Lol.

Clever guy, trust me, he is probably waiting to see your comments.........

"HaHa, we got you unification and not the RA"

You simply could not make you AH's up ffs.

death or glory

You're outnumbered now. You're already a minority in NI, and you'll be an even smaller minority in another 20 years. Face up to it. A referendum now looks very likely to deliver a majority pro-Irish unity vote. After that it is all over.
Yesterday it was 30 years, now you are down to 20 years.

A UI referendum has no chance of succeeding.

You'll always have your dreams, we ll have to mop up with the reality.

raetsel

Yesterday it was 30 years, now you are down to 20 years.

A UI referendum has no chance of succeeding.

You'll always have your dreams, we ll have to mop up with the reality.
It could happen in the next year or two if the British called a referendum, as they will be obliged to if the opinion polls keep showing a majority in favour.

Newrybhoy

It could happen in the next year or two if the British called a referendum, as they will be obliged to if the opinion polls keep showing a majority in favour.
They might be obliged to when a majority of people vote for parties seeking a UI.

It'll be real votes, not opinion polls.

Mickeymac

Absolutely as I see no way out for the British to renege on this issue as it is part of an International agreement signed up at the UN.

raetsel

They might be obliged to when a majority of people vote for parties seeking a UI.

It'll be real votes, not opinion polls.
There is nothing in the GFA which stipulates that. The GFA states that it is at the discretion of the SoS when he/she believes there may be a majority in favour. The Tories may well resist calling a referendum, but would you trust a Labour SoS to do the same? The Tories won't be in power forever.

Newrybhoy

There is nothing in the GFA which stipulates that. The GFA states that it is at the discretion of the SoS when he/she believes there may be a majority in favour. The Tories may well resist calling a referendum, but would you trust a Labour SoS to do the same? The Tories won't be in power forever.
He can call all he wants.

As you well know.

100% of unionists will vote against.

What percentage of nationalist/ republican/alliance voters, will jeapordise the status quo, to fulfil a pipe dream, that is the question.

I'd say at least 60% of Catholic public sector voters would vote against.

So republicanism has it all to do. Come up with the billions and the garauntees re nobody being a penny worse off. Nevermind the civil unrest.

You're not within 40 years of fulfilling what is required. By which time there probably won't be a RoI, it'll just be a small insignificant part of the EU.

death or glory

You're very fond of "could" and "if" and other non definitive words.
The reality is that there is very little hope of a UI referendum in the foreseeable future.

Mickeymac

The Brits can not be trusted in any agreements, May herself as PM admitted in the HOC she was not so sure a border poll would produce continued union with the UK, all that, plus an elected assembly at Stormont with a unionist minority did not move the Brits to a unity vote.

No way Nationalists will be waiting on a Labor Government to do the right thing, a border poll needs to happen ASAP.

raetsel

As you well know.

If you mean 100% of people from a Protestant/unionist background would, clearly you are wrong. Opinion polls demonstrate this all the time.

What percentage of nationalist/ republican/alliance voters, will jeapordise the status quo, to fulfil a pipe dream, that is the question.

I'd say at least 60% of Catholic public sector voters would vote against.
Why would they? They'd be much better paid in the Republic for a start. There would be a risk of some compulsory jobs losses as a result of rationalisations eventually but that could probably be minimised by early retirements and voluntary partings.

So republicanism has it all to do. Come up with the billions and the garauntees re nobody being a penny worse off. Nevermind the civil unrest.
There are no guarantees at all. It's drived by a desire to build a decent economy and make a big contribution in a small prosperous country, rather than be small insignificant part of a big country whose economy is going south rapidly as a result of the wishes of isolationist little Englanders.

raetsel

You're very fond of "could" and "if" and other non definitive words.
The reality is that there is very little hope of a UI referendum in the foreseeable future.
Anyone who doesn't use conditional words when predicting the future is an idiot, DOG.
I notice that you are one of those who doesn't. Now why might that be? :)

death or glory

Anyone who doesn't use conditional words when predicting the future is an idiot, DOG.
It is because I don't try and predict the future like you Mystic Meg
As I said, the reality is that there is very little hope of a UI in the foreseeable future.
That is just fact.

Newrybhoy

If you mean 100% of people from a Protestant/unionist background would, clearly you are wrong. Opinion polls demonstrate this all the time.
No, I said unionists because I meant unionists.
If I had wanted to say PUL community that is what I would have said.

Why would they? They'd be much better paid in the Republic for a start. There would be a risk of some compulsory jobs losses as a result of rationalisations eventually but that could probably be minimised by early retirements and voluntary partings.
[\quote

We are constantly told of the savings that will be made due to an end of duplication.

Half the schools could go to start with and lord knows how many civil servantots of Catyholics in tyhose gold platter jobs for lie and tyheir families aren't going got great mhemeelves oh of a job.
There are no guarantees at all. It's drived by a desire to build a decent economy and make a big contribution in a small prosperous country, rather than be small insignificant part of a big country whose economy is going south rapidly as a result of the wishes of isolationist little Englanders.
All you want to be is a small insignificant part of the EU superstate. Sooner or later they are going more remove the souths ability to be a money launderer for the American multi nationals. Then it's game over.

firefly123

Because for doggy there is only the past.

Take a look at the trajectory of the north.
At partition it was the wealthiest most industrial part of this island. Look at what happened to it. The malaise that set in and spread. You put the north and the south on a graph and see which side of the border has done better on all measurable factors.

Even the life expectancy of a child born today south of the border is longer than one born north.

McSlaggart

As you well know.

I honestly would wait to see how things work out before making such a prediction. It all depends on how the uk deals with its Brexit issues. So far I do not see many thinking they are doing a good job on that matter.

Newrybhoy

I honestly would wait to see how things work out before making such a prediction. It all depends on how the uk deals with its Brexit issues. So far I do not see many thinking they are doing a good job on that matter.
You claim to know unionists.

If you do, you know that the finer points are irrelevant. It is a zero sum game, win or lose............

New Threads

Most Replies