• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Unionist Councillors Boycott 'insensitive St Patrick's Day Sunday parade'

IrishWelshCelt

Unionists councillors stayed away from Northern Ireland’s biggest cross-community St Patrick’s Day parade in Downpatrick yesterday for the first time.

DUP and Ulster Unionist councillors were boycotting the parade because was being held on a Sunday for the first time.

DUP councillor William Dick said it was “insensitive” to hold the parade on a Sunday. He said many Protestants would not be taking part or attending because it is being held on the Sabbath.

“This is a carnival parade and it is not appropriate to hold it on a Sunday,” said Mr Dick.

“I believe it was wrong of the SDLP and Sinn Fein to to go head with this on a Sunday against the stated wishes of the two main church leaders in the town from the Catholic Church and Church of Ireland.”

But Sinn Fein’s Eamonn Mac Con Midhe pointed out that the vast majority of local people favour the St Patrick’s Day parade taking place yesterday.

“Traders were consulted and they favour this date,” said Mr Mac Con Midhe.
Seems a tad childish to me I mean I could see their complaints if it was moved to a sunday in a case where the 17th didnt fall on one but this is over the top imo. What is the craic with protestantism and sundays? I seem to remember while watching a documentary about Long Kesh that Sunday was the only day they loyalists wouldn't do a full days workout routine. Also I may be getting this wrong but aren't Orange Order parades held on sundays?

theloner

It's truly embarrassing, and these are the two main unionist parties spouting this nonsense.

Beachcomber

Seems a tad childish to me I mean I could see their complaints if it was moved to a sunday in a case where the 17th didnt fall on one but this is over the top imo. What is the craic with protestantism and sundays? I seem to remember while watching a documentary about Long Kesh that Sunday was the only day they loyalists wouldn't do a full days workout routine. Also I may be getting this wrong but aren't Orange Order parades held on sundays?

OO parades are not held on Sundays, if the Twelfth falls on a Sunday.

IrishWelshCelt

OO parades are not held on Sundays, if the Twelfth falls on a Sunday.
Yes but arent other OO parades held on sundays? Such as those in Drumcree the sunday before the 12th?

devonish

Yes but arent other OO parades held on sundays? Such as those in Drumcree the sunday before the 12th?
I'm no expert but I believe that the only orange parades on sundays are church parades where they gather up and parade to a church for a service.
There is still a proportion of the protestant population which won't do too much on a sunday but putting it in context I'm sure it's a relatively small proportion of those who actually go to church and therefore a very small proportion of the total unionist / protestant population. The DUP just got their knickers in a twist and the UUP followed like lapdogs.

Glaucon

Meanwhile in Omagh Councillors after moving the Parade to Monday reroute the parade because there are Union Flags in a Unionist area .....

BBC News - St Patrick's Day parade re-routed over union flag row in Omagh

You couldn't make this up......
We hear regularly from Unionist politicians that the presence of Tricolours leaves them "intimidated", "discriminated against", "feeling cold", etc., why would it be any different for Nationalists in the presence of the British flag?

Surely Unionists, who complained about the very same thing not so long ago in the run up to the 12th, should be more than understanding of Nationalist concerns:

Deputy Ulster Unionist leader Danny Kennedy appealed for calm in the run-up to the Twelfth.

But he said he was “very concerned” at the large number of Irish tricolours on Friary Road in Armagh – the main arterial route for Orangemen and their supporters to make their way to the field in Killylea today.

Mr Kennedy accused republicans of “deliberately attempting to raise the temperature” in advance of the Co Armagh Twelfth demonstration and urged Orangemen to ignore the provocation.

He said tricolours fly permanently along the ring road and outwards along the main arterial route towards Omagh and the west.
Unionists challenge police over tricolours - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter

What's good for the goose.....

Sync

So basically a group that never hold non-church parades/marches on a Sunday continued to not hold a non-church parade/march on a sunday. Yeah they sound like jerks all right.

The communication lines on this would be interesting. It's something that should have been factored into the decision to move it to Sunday. If it was held on Sat/Mons in the past for the sake of inclusiveness then you'd have to wonder why it was moved this year.

Cruimh

We hear regularly from Unionist politicians that the presence of Tricolours leaves them "intimidated", "discriminated against", "feeling cold", etc., why would it be any different for Nationalists in the presence of the British flag?

Surely Unionists, who complained about the very same thing not so long ago in the run up to the 12th, should be more than understanding of Nationalist concerns:

Unionists challenge police over tricolours - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter

What's good for the goose.....
Interesting that you read my post that way .......

O'Sullivan Bere

Their complaint was reasonable IMO. Sunday is just another day to me but it's no secret it's a Sabbath day with formal restrictions and obligations and/or personal reservations about festive partying for many practicing Christians. That includes certain devout Catholics too. Sunday being a holy day of obligation is why the AOH--a Catholic Irish society--that owns the permit for the NYC St Pats Parade held its parade this year on Saturday. They do the parade on the 17th unless it falls on Sunday where instead they'll do it on Saturday the 16th. It's my understanding that not every AOH club that operates a St Pats parade does that but some do beyond NYC for that reason. Many publicly operated St Pats parades around the world did the same thing for the same reason as a courtesy and for better inclusiveness.

Last edited:
C

Castle Ray

It's truly embarrassing, and these are the two main unionist parties spouting this nonsense.
Why is it embarrassing? There's nothing in any of your posts that suggest you don't hate Unionists.

eoghanacht

You have to wonder why an omnipotent all powerful all knowing deity would get upset by people going for a walk of a Sunday.

Cruimh

And as we are discussing insensitive ....

Motion tabled by Gregory Campbell in the House Of Commons:
NEW YORK ST. PATRICKS DAY PARADE
That this House notes the number of recent events not just in the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland but in other Countries which were held to honour St. Patrick, also recognizes that many were of cultural and historic significance, but deplores the fact that the parade in New York appears to have included a NORAID delegation carrying banners with 3 IRA hunger strikers on it and another with England get out of Ireland on it; calls on the organizers of the New York parade to consult with victims of IRA terror in Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and in mainland GB to gauge the strength of opposition to such participation in future events.
Source - Facebook.

Mattarigna

I know that the twelfth is moved to a Monday if it falls on a Sunday, but St. Patrick's day doesn't work like that, and I think that it's dispicable for unionists to insist on Sy. Patrick's day following that same tradition, even if no where else on Earth where it's celebrated does this happen. And how many Protestants take that rule seriously anyways? Feck all, I suspect.

Mattarigna

Their complaint was reasonable IMO. Sunday is just another day to me but it's no secret it's a Sabbath day with formal restrictions and obligations and/or personal reservations about festive partying for many practicing Christians. That includes certain devout Catholics too. Sunday being a holy day of obligation is why the AOH--a Catholic Irish society--that owns the permit for the NYC St Pats Parade held its parade this year on Saturday. They do the parade on the 17th unless it falls on Sunday where instead they'll do it on Saturday the 16th. It's my understanding that not every AOH club that operates a St Pats parade does that but some do beyond NYC for that reason. Many publicly operated St Pats parades around the world did the same thing for the same reason as a courtesy and for better inclusiveness.
Few, if any Catholics follow that rule to that extent. GAA matches were held on Sundays, and few Irish Catholics had a problem with it. I know Protestants are more likely to take the rule seriously, but few even attend mass nowadays - it's unlikely that they would keep the Sabbath that seriously either.

Cruimh

I know that the twelfth is moved to a Monday if it falls on a Sunday, but St. Patrick's day doesn't work like that, and I think that it's dispicable for unionists to insist on Sy. Patrick's day following that same tradition, even if no where else on Earth where it's celebrated does this happen. And how many Protestants take that rule seriously anyways? Feck all, I suspect.
Jaysus Toman - The RCC has insisted it be moved in the past when it clashed with one of their Holy Days .....

St Patrick is one of Ireland's patron saints and many Americans with Irish ancestry remember him on March 17. Patrick's Day is fixed on March 17, but may occasionally be moved by the authorities of the Catholic Church. This happened in 1940, so that the celebrations would not fall on Palm Sunday, and in 2008 to avoid Holy Monday, the last Monday before Easter Sunday.
St. Patrick's Day in United States

Mattarigna

Jaysus Toman - The RCC has insisted it be moved in the past when it clashed with one of their Holy Days .....

St. Patrick's Day in United States
Cruimh, St. Patrick's day is a cultural celebration that evolved from a religious holiday. It's mostly a secular cultural event nowadays - therefore, it doesn't matter to most people if the religious celebrations are rescheduled, because the secular activities, including parades, will go ahead anyways. Even if that wasn't the case, the cases in which the Catholic Church would postphone it would apply to pretty much any church celebrating Palm Sunday or Holy Monday, including Protestant churches.