• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Unionist Donaldson fearful of "ulster" shoppers going to Dublin - John Lewis

Cooperate for freedom

During BBC Radio Ulster's "nolan show" this morning Jeffrey Donaldson Lagan Valley MP, senior Democratic Unionist Party member expressed his concern that the withdrawal of the planing application of the John Lewis store would result in "ulster" shoppers heaven forbid shopping in Dublin. Now whilst I understand Jeffrey (Daniel O'Donnell lookalike for those of you unsure of who he is) wants to secure the store to his constituency, a considerable amount of his opposition appears to be about shoppers going south.

I despised Cowan and Lenihan for their opposition to shopping in Newry etc and I urge the same condemnation of Jeffrey Donaldson in this regard.

The logic of the John Lewis store being in Sprucefield was because it was on the Dublin-Belfast road, which makes sense from their perspective. However, I have to agree with Alex Attwood's Minister of the Environment, attempt at trying to force it into Belfast City centre as it would make Belfast even more attractive from a retail perspective and enocurage those from the south and elsewhere to visit Belfast itself rather than an out-of-town car park with a British department store to buy a load of stuff and head back down the motorway to Dublin etc.

It is surely important at this time to try a foster an interest in the cultural heritage of all our cities and that same understanding will surely help sow the seeds of the positive relationships required for re-unification.

Jeffrey Donaldson resorting to the old unionist dogma of oppostion to all things Irish was predictable though disappointing.

I now put it up to Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore, First Minister Robinson and Deputy First Minister McGuinness to have a word in his ear about such public comments on a radio station and the types of resentment it urges.

At the end of the day both states on this island are in serious deficit and need to get their respective houses in order. Fighting among ourselves is not helping and it will be in ALL our interests to have thriving attractive cities as opposed to out of town car parks.

BBC News - John Lewis: Attwood not changing his mind on Sprucefield decision

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007cpsh

David Cameron

"You now put it up" them do you? Why don't you send a strongly worded letter to President Obama while you're at it? Pompous arse.

Dr Pat

During BBC Radio Ulster's "nolan show" this morning Jeffrey Donaldson Lagan Valley MP, senior Democratic Unionist Party member expressed his concern that the withdrawal of the planing application of the John Lewis store would result in "ulster" shoppers heaven forbid shopping in Dublin. Now whilst I understand Jeffrey (Daniel O'Donnell lookalike for those of you unsure of who he is) wants to secure the store to his constituency, a considerable amount of his opposition appears to be about shoppers going south.

I despised Cowan and Lenihan for their opposition to shopping in Newry etc and I urge the same condemnation of Jeffrey Donaldson in this regard.

The logic of the John Lewis store being in Sprucefield was because it was on the Dublin-Belfast road, which makes sense from their perspective. However, I have to agree with Alex Attwood's Minister of the Environment, attempt at trying to force it into Belfast City centre as it would make Belfast even more attractive from a retail perspective and enocurage those from the south and elsewhere to visit Belfast itself rather than an out-of-town car park with a British department store to buy a load of stuff and head back down the motorway to Dublin etc.

It is surely important at this time to try a foster an interest in the cultural heritage of all our cities and that same understanding will surely help sow the seeds of the positive relationships required for re-unification.

Jeffrey Donaldson resorting to the old unionist dogma of oppostion to all things Irish was predictable though disappointing.

I now put it up to Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore, First Minister Robinson and Deputy First Minister McGuinness to have a word in his ear about such public comments on a radio station and the types of resentment it urges.

At the end of the day both states on this island are in serious deficit and need to get their respective houses in order. Fighting among ourselves is not helping and it will be in ALL our interests to have thriving attractive cities as opposed to out of town car parks.

BBC News - John Lewis: Attwood not changing his mind on Sprucefield decision

BBC Radio Ulster - The Nolan Show
Agree with your sensible post.

mctree

I would prefer if people shopped in the south than in the north as i am from the south. Our country needs the business.

We are a divided island and that is the reality for some time to come.

Ramon Mercadar

Wee Wullie is welcome to shop in Dublin.

Dr Pat

I would prefer if people shopped in the south than in the north as i am from the south. Our country needs the business.

We are a divided island and that is the reality for some time to come.
The more Northern Ireland and the Republic trade with each other, the greater the pot becomes for all. The border is a hindrance to an enlarged economy on the whole island.

viper999

with sterling at a year low of nearly 86p i think its obvious people will be go nrth in there droves again

bob3367

Do we have a John Lewis in Dublin?

livingstone

Any sensible politician would want as much commerce as possible to take place within their borders - more commerce = more jobs, more VAT revenue, more knock-on commerce.

I don't see a problem in what he's saying - he'd rather people spent their money in their own country so that the benefits remain within their own country. Now I don't know if that point outweighs the issue of planning permission for a John Lewis, but the point of wanting as much commerce to be done within one's own border is natural and sensible.

diaspora-mick

Agree with your sensible post.
Yes indeed. Wee Jeff should be taken aside and gently informed that one of the quintessential tenets of "Britishness" is a unswerving and unquestioning belief in the Glories of Free Trade and the Almighty and Omniscient Power of "The Globalised Market".

Consequently, should "The Globalised Market" send out signals to the shoppers and consumers of Ulster that they are to converge in their serried Lambeg-drumming, "fleg"-waving ranks upon Dublin, then no true post-Thatcherite Homo Economicus Britannicus could possibly contemplate standing in the way of such a development.

Wake up Wee Jeff and smell the Starbucks ...

Cooperate for freedom

Any sensible politician would want as much commerce as possible to take place within their borders - more commerce = more jobs, more VAT revenue, more knock-on commerce.

I don't see a problem in what he's saying - he'd rather people spent their money in their own country so that the benefits remain within their own country. Now I don't know if that point outweighs the issue of planning permission for a John Lewis, but the point of wanting as much commerce to be done within one's own border is natural and sensible.
The logic of what he is saying if applied would see a collapse of the northern economy. In 2010/11 NI exported £1.2 billion worth of stuff to the south. British Business in Ireland : British Irish Chamber of Commerce

This is a small island with two effectively bankrupt states relying on handouts from either Britain or Europe or both.

Arguing a case for your own constituency is fine but the logic of your post would see him happy to see the store being located in Liverpool over Dublin as an alternative.

Little_Korean

Put it that way, how could said Unionists refuse?

borntorum

"Unionist politician wants Ulster shoppers to spend money in Northern Ireland".

How is this in any way notable or newsworthy?

Iphonista

The more Northern Ireland and the Republic trade with each other, the greater the pot becomes for all. The border is a hindrance to an enlarged economy on the whole island.
If southerners shop up north, they should shop primarily in NI-owned stores. That means the money is more likely to stay within the Island of Ireland.

diaspora-mick

If southerners shop up north, they should shop primarily in NI-owned stores. That means the money is more likely to stay within the Island of Ireland.
Not true.
Because the shopkeepers are likely to deposit it in the local bank (which is inevitably connected to the City of London) such that it is immediately transformed into footloose global capital that can be transferred across continents with a single mouse-click.

Clanrickard

During BBC Radio Ulster's "nolan show" this morning Jeffrey Donaldson Lagan Valley MP, senior Democratic Unionist Party member expressed his concern that the withdrawal of the planing application of the John Lewis store would result in "ulster" shoppers heaven forbid shopping in Dublin.
What about shoppers from Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan ? Does object to them shopping in Dublin?

Popular Threads

Most Replies