• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Unionist fall out over DUP's U-turn in policy regards Long Kesh

theloner

All is not well for unionist unity. After unionist unity candidate, Mr Lutton's failure to get elected in Mid-Ulster last week, the TUV and UUP have ganged up on anti-GFA unionists in the DUP. Mid-Ulster was a safe seat for unionism, with SF only making gains there in 1997, now a unified unionist can't seem to make inroads in the constituency.

The latest unrest within unionist unity is over the plans to redevelop the site of Long Kesh. TUV leader Jim Allister and former UUP chief Tom Elliott have accused the DUP of “hypocrisy and rolling over yet again to republican demands” after the DUP's Edwin Poots confirmed his party was backing the peace and reconciliation centre at the former prison site.

The new centre will sit alongside a preserved H block and other buildings, including the chapel and the hospital where ten Irish republican hunger strikers died. Ironically this is what Nigel Dodds said of the plans to preserve the hospital and chapel before his party's U-turn:

“However it is dressed up, whatever spin is deployed, the preservation of a section of the H-blocks – including the hospital wing – would become a shrine to the terrorists who committed suicide in the Maze in the 1980s. That would be obnoxious to the vast majority of people and is something unionist people cannot accept”.

Dodds seemed to be in direct contradiction with his colleague Jeffrey Donaldson who claimed:

I know a lot of Protestants who would support this on the basis of what has been agreed. It is about promoting dialogue and it is a way forward," But the TUV's Jim Allister claims, 
“Now the DUP are engaged in the very spin which their own deputy leader warned about.”

Former IRA prisoner Seanna Walsh, who read the IRA statement calling an end to its war, said that the centre would reflect the stories of all sides involved in Long Kesh – republicans, loyalists, the police, the Army and prison officers. It seems the DUP have been hanging out with SF too much at Stormont as it has learned how to talk out of its arse and mouth at the same time.

Leading unionists split over plans at Maze site - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter

belfast1981

I said this in the other thread about the Unionist forum.

When multiple political parties come together to 'unite' there will always be major fallouts due to differing opinions. Does not matter if its Northern Ireland and Nationalist or Unionist parties or like the Lib Dem/Tory government over on the UK Mainland.

Always going to be huge disagreements and fallout's.

Mickeymac

I said this in the other thread about the Unionist forum.

When multiple political parties come together to 'unite' there will always be major fallouts due to differing opinions. Does not matter if its Northern Ireland and Nationalist or Unionist parties or like the Lib Dem/Tory government over on the UK Mainland.

Always going to be huge disagreements and fallout's.

Thank goodness sir.........that's democracy.

belfast1981

Well, Mickey. As much as I disagree with you on a lot of things. What would the world be if every party was united and had the exact same agendas?

Mickeymac

Well, Mickey. As much as I disagree with you on a lot of things. What would the world be if every party was united and had the exact same agendas?

Surprised at you asking me such a silly question, are you sober?

belfast1981

not really, no. I am enjoying St Patricks day with a bottle of Captain Morgan's and watching the NASCAR.

vinoboy

Boundary changes made Mid Ulster an unwinnable Unionist seat or at least exacerbated the issue .

Mickeymac

not really, no. I am enjoying St Patricks day with a bottle of Captain Morgan's and watching the NASCAR.

Enjoy sir, wish I could buy you one, have a good Paddy's day as everyone else seems to be doing here.

Mickeymac

Boundary changes made Mid Ulster an unwinnable Unionist seat or at least exacerbated the issue .

You people can giggle, juggle, twist and cheat........but.........in the long run........demographics will bite you in the ass.:lol: YEEHAW.

RedCloud

vinoboy

You people can giggle, juggle, twist and cheat........but.........in the long run........demographics will bite you in the ass.:lol: YEEHAW.
You probably get somebody with a Gerry Adams facemask to bite your ass for $10.Yeehaw .25% Oirish in British NI .Go and drnk some green beer with other paddywhack jobs ,you plastic paddy .

RedCloud

Interesting predilection. Is this a common pursuit in your community?
You should be addressing your concerns to the new, holey papa. :)

vinoboy

Interesting predilection. Is this a common pursuit in your community?
Got to take your pleasures where you can .Seems your predilection is altering posts to suit your own warped agenda ,smugbhoy.

tokkie

Got to take your pleasures where you can .Seems your predilection is altering posts to suit your own warped agenda ,smugbhoy.
Well the words "Gerry Adams facemask" and "bite ass" were yours, not mine.

RedCloud

Are you talking about this new Mexican lad in charge of the Roman thing?
No. I think you are confusing the old Italian guy, in charge of the Oirish shambles.

:)

tokkie

No. I think you are confusing the old Italian guy, in charge of the Oirish shambles.

:)
Old Italian guy? Oirish shambles? Are you mixing up Enda Kenny with that Mexican fella who was wearing the dress during the week?