"Unionist Spring"

death or glory

Prominent figures from across unionism have united in a call for an inclusive debate on rights that crosses the sectarian divide.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/unionists-unite-in-call-for-rights-debate-to-cross-sectarian-lines-sinn-fein-welcomes-move-36647677.html

The 105 signatories say they are motivated by a desire to build a better society for all.
"This cannot happen when such a commitment is perceived as being vested in one community or political persuasion," the letter says.
"We find it frustrating and puzzling that civic unionism, pluralists and other forms of civic leadership have been rendered invisible in many debates focused on rights and responsibilities."

Socratus O' Pericles

Mickeymac

Brexit is scaring the shíte out of them.

Could be SOP, but if they were serious, they would first address their politicians to implement previous made agreements and when that is accomplished both communities could then discuss ways of making the six counties work......on a level playing field called equality for all

Levellers

The last dying kick of the supremacists as civic unionism separates from the political leadership of unionism.

GDPR

They might pull their fingers out and tell the DUP that their insistence that the North remains aligned with the UK ie no CU between NI and the ROI means that the days of chatting about "respect" are long gone.....

mac tíre

They should have just sent that letter to the DUP.

Let's see if these signatories have the courage of their convictions and support rights for all.

Good luck to Mike Nesbitt explaining away his sectarian pacts and his opposition to an ILA in light of this letter he signed.

Ardillaun

Unionists did the easy thing and retreated to their base. In the process they have certainly weakened Unionism. To start with there seems to be scant acknowledgement that a clear majority voted for Remain.

GDPR

I'd say their chums in the bizniz and farming communities whose support they need are having a quiet word in the shell like.....:)
When you are a Ballymena dairy farmer, 60% of whose livestock meets Kismet in a Southern Town, and 80% of your milk goes over the Border, what do you think?

Franzoni

When you are a Ballymena dairy farmer, 60% of whose livestock meets Kismet in a Southern Town, and 80% of your milk goes over the Border, what do you think?
I think i'd be telling my local DUP MP that he/she could go down the town with their biscuit tin come election time and get their own fooking ladders to put up posters.....:)

Franzoni

No cherrypickers here...:rolleyes:

Well the DUP have been trying to cherrypick for years when it comes to enacting the civil rights of a state they claim allegience to that others in the same union enjoy but it's starting to come back to bite them in the arse......:)

Mickeymac

They should have just sent that letter to the DUP.

Let's see if these signatories have the courage of their convictions and support rights for all.

Good luck to Mike Nesbitt explaining away his sectarian pacts and his opposition to an ILA in light of this letter he signed.

Indeed Mac and the fact they did not brings into question their real motives regarding their inititive.

devonish

I read this as what you may call “liberal unionism” being fed up with the perception that the dup speaks for unionism. Most of the names I recognise would be what would be described as moderates or haven’t before now expressed any political opinion. A positive contribution in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

death or glory

In farming produce terms, Northern Ireland exports 4 times as much to the mainland as to Eire so a border on the Irish sea would impact the farming community a lot more than a border between the two countries in Ireland well so says the Ulster Farmers Union and the Irish Farmers Journal.

Analyzer

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies