• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Unionists - IF a united Ireland ever happens, what would you do?

blokesbloke

OK this is my first thread in the NI forum. I hope it won't be my last, but we'll see.

Look, I know very little about NI and I'm not going to pretend that I do. I'm English, I do not really know much about NI and I don't know enough to form opinions on it or to understand it.

This is NOT an attempt to troll, therefore. Please make allowances for my ignorance. I am trying to learn.

I am genuinely interested in Unionist views here.

IF a united Ireland ever happened, what would you do?

Would you stay in Ireland?

Or would you move to Britain - and if so, where and why there?

Or would you feel so let down by Britain you'd perhaps try and move somewhere else - again, if so where and why there?

InsideImDancing

I'd ban crap opening posts.
I'd ban obvious trolling in order that the NI forum stays off the main board. Hmm?

BB, don't expect much of a response from Unionists on this one, they refuse to discuss a UI even in a hypothetical sense. I hope I'm wrong mate.

Gurdiev

I'd set up a shipping company running steam packages to the Malvinas, and a estate agency selling little farms there to disillusioned unionists .

Last edited:

blokesbloke

So far, so disappointing, but I live in hope.

Is it worth trying to engage with people in NI or not?

It's a genuine question from one British person to another.

It might happen one day and if it did, I'm curious as to how people would react.

vivabrigada

I think they'd block roads they had been demanding to walk down a few years ago, but that's not scientific!

InsideImDancing

It's a genuine question from one British person to another.

It might happen one day and if it did, I'm curious as to how people would react.
Again mate, I'm not a Unionist, but it is perfectly possible to engage with people from NI, just ignore the trolls. Some of the best posters on the main board are from the north.

Cruimh

OK this is my first thread in the NI forum. I hope it won't be my last, but we'll see.

Look, I know very little about NI and I'm not going to pretend that I do. I'm English, I do not really know much about NI and I don't know enough to form opinions on it or to understand it.

This is NOT an attempt to troll, therefore. Please make allowances for my ignorance. I am trying to learn.

I am genuinely interested in Unionist views here.

IF a united Ireland ever happened, what would you do?

Would you stay in Ireland?

Or would you move to Britain - and if so, where and why there?

Or would you feel so let down by Britain you'd perhaps try and move somewhere else - again, if so where and why there?
It depends on how it unites - within a new republic of our archipelago or a federated Republic of the states in the EU I would stay.

Otherwise I would go to Scotland or England where I have family and friends.

bona na croin

You could have been called a 'homo' by Sgt Bilko, so look at the positives!

Absolutely. Don't let a minority from both side keep you from engaging in chat/debate. As it is a Friday night, I'd say it will be quiet on the NI forum tonight.

If I am honest, I do not see it happening in my lifetime (I am 29); however, I think you have picked an interesting op. I would like to see what some of the Unionists feel they would do if a UI was to happen in their lifetime.

belfast1981

Honestly, there is nothing I would do.

I have always said I want NI to remain as part of the UK, but in a United Ireland I would continue on about my life as normal. It is not like the two cultures (British/Irish) are complete alien to each other.

It won't effect much day to day happenings etc. Even in a new and United Ireland It will take some time to fully integrate anyway with currency etc. So it is not like it will change competly overnight.

The way I see it, I was born here... I may well die here. This is my home whatever you call it. Northern Ireland, United Republic of Ireland or New Globenshire.

There will be elements within Loyalism who will do the usual ************************. They will be a minority and more an annoyance than anything else.

I would not move to England etc just because of a UI... if I was to move it would be due to work relocation or meeting an English girl and living there with her. But outside that, this is my home. And this is where I want to live regardless.

Evergreenfinch

It depends how a UI is formed and what changes they implement to accomodate those from a state which has free healthcare.

blokesbloke

Thanks for the great responses since my last post, I honestly wasn't trolling and was just curious. I just wondered, if someone was so strongly Unionist they couldn't stomach living in a NI, what would they do if NI no longer existed?

I am sure most would remain where they are - after all CNR nationalists tend not to move en-masse to the 26 counties - but I didn't want to make assumptions about how they felt.

InsideImDancing

It depends on how it unites - within a new republic of our archipelago or a federated Republic of the states in the EU I would stay.

You would leave your homeland because the majority of it's people decided to join with the rest of Ireland? Seems a bit extreme.

C

Cass

Would you really move and why, this is where your whole life is? I mean you have no problem proclaiming that your Irish as well as British.

eskrimador

I'd w a n k, but that's my response to any stimuli

eoghanacht

Thanks for the great responses since my last post, I honestly wasn't trolling and was just curious. I just wondered, if someone was so strongly Unionist they couldn't stomach living in a NI, what would they do if NI no longer existed?

I am sure most would remain where they are - after all CNR nationalists tend not to move en-masse to the 26 counties - but I didn't want to make assumptions about how they felt.

I would hope they wouldn't (flee). How deep would your hate have to run? Assuming that the re-unification happened amicably where both parties left the table feeling a fair deal had been reached.

Or is hate too strong a word?

C

Cass

I would hope they wouldn't (flee). How deep would your hate have to run? Assuming that the re-unification happened amicably where both parties left the table feeling a fair deal had been reached.

Or is hate too strong a word?
To be honest I'd rather the real haters to leave, but would Britain accept them?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies