• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Unionists - what do you make of the rioting and the actions of the DUP/UUP councillors?

Mattarigna

Speaking as a Southerner, I find the riots to be quite over the top, to say the least. I don't think that the majority of unionists are that extreme, not for a second, but I would like to get the views of moderate unionists.

I also find the leaflets that the DUP/UUP sent out to be quite sectarian, which surely is not the way any sane person in the North would want to go.

Also, to those who oppose the flag restriction - why the reluctance to accept that Belfast is far from being overwhelmingly unionist? You can't have it all your own way anymore - those days are gone. And it was hardly a radical proposal - it wasn't as if the suggestion was to replace the union jack with the tricolour. And to me, it reeks of insecurity - if Leitrim county council didn't want to fly the tricolour 365 days a year(not sure if it does even), then I really couldn't care less - There's still the GAA, for instance. I don't need a flag at a local authority hall to know that I'm Irish.

DavidCaldwell

My thoughts are that the way forward is to find areas of consensus and advance in those directions - much in the way that the EU started with an agreement about steel and coal production.
As for the rioting, it somehow brought to mind the words of the French soldier describing Verdun in 1916 (although this time it is more farce than tragedy).

Humanity is mad. It must be mad to do what it is doing. What a massacre! What scenes of horror and carnage! I cannot find words to translate my impressions. Hell cannot be so terrible. Men are mad!

Mattarigna

My thoughts are that the way forward is to find areas of consensus and advance in those directions - much in the way that the EU started with an agreement about steel and coal production.
As for the rioting, it somehow brought to mind the words of the French soldier describing Verdun in 1916 (although this time it is more farce than tragedy).
That may be difficult - seeing that a large chunk of unionists seemed to find the idea of power-sharing in the first place too much of a comprimise, and the dispute is quite telling when it comes to the attitudes of some unionists. Not saying that unionists are the problem, but the recent riots does much damage to the reputation of the unionist community in general. It's a pity that more unionists besidies senior unionists in stormont are not condeming the riots - although I am open to correction.

between the bridges

Speaking as a Southerner, I find the riots to be quite over the top, to say the least. I don't think that the majority of unionists are that extreme, not for a second, but I would like to get the views of moderate unionists.

I also find the leaflets that the DUP/UUP sent out to be quite sectarian, which surely is not the way any sane person in the North would want to go.

Also, to those who oppose the flag restriction - why the reluctance to accept that Belfast is far from being overwhelmingly unionist? You can't have it all your own way anymore - those days are gone. And it was hardly a radical proposal - it wasn't as if the suggestion was to replace the union jack with the tricolour. And to me, it reeks of insecurity - if Leitrim county council didn't want to fly the tricolour 365 days a year(not sure if it does even), then I really couldn't care less - There's still the GAA, for instance. I don't need a flag at a local authority hall to know that I'm Irish.
try a bit of prespective if you add all the numbers of protesters together you would be lucky to get to 10k maybe 10% of them where violent i.e 0.1% of the unionist community.

Mickeymac

I got as far as your first paragraph in your post sir..........one question, can you supply me the names of these unionist moderates?

Mattarigna

try a bit of prespective if you add all the numbers of protesters together you would be lucky to get to 10k maybe 10% of them where violent i.e 0.1% of the unionist community.
I recognise that, but you don't regularly see republicians/nationalists riot to the same extent, especially not over such a mundane and minor issue - which, in fairness, it is. Also, it's a pretty bad PR exercise for unionists. And the mainstream Unionist parties were partly responsible for stirring up the riots.

Mattarigna

I got as far as your first paragraph in your post sir..........one question, can you supply me the names of these unionist moderates?
For a start, there was a UUP councillor who openly declared support for the proposal for the flag. Can't remember his name, unfortunately.

PS Basil McCrea.

Last edited:

vivabrigada

Work these out, I can't.
Protester's confront and heckle the DUPs Ian McCrea in Cookstown. Some protesters voiced their opinions and told him he wasn't welcome to large cheers from the crowd. The video of it is around Facebook if you search around.
Lord Mayor Gavin Robinson, hid inside the City Hall in the Emergency Room during the protest yesterday. Little wonder, at the DUP Chrtismas dinner in Newtownabbey on Friday night where they had singer Peter Corry loyalists congregated at the gates hijacked and burned two cars and smashed the windscreens of other cars belonging to people attending. The DUP Christmas dinner had their evening cut short because entertainers could not get into the premises, wonder did Peter Corry still get his £3500 estimated fee?. DUP assembly member Paul Girvan attempted to speak to the protesters but was stoned.
Both from Loyalist Willie Frazer's site.

eskrimador

Well, it was revealed yesterday that this was UUP policy in 2000 or so. Of course, that party was on a much different path back then.

As repeated "mainlanders" have said on/in the media, as well as the SOS today, this behaviour is not on that they would recognise as being British at all.

FAO the OPist, I'm no unionist but Mickey might be

Mattarigna

Well, it was revealed yesterday that this was UUP policy in 2000 or so. Of course, that party was on a much different path back then.

As repeated "mainlanders" have said on/in the media, as well as the SOS today, this behaviour is not on that they would recognise as being British at all.

I know that you are not a unionist, all opinions are welcome, but unionist opinion is hard to come by.

between the bridges

I recognise that, but you don't regularly see republicians/nationalists riot to the same extent, especially not over such a mundane and minor issue - which, in fairness, it is. Also, it's a pretty bad PR exercise for unionists. And the mainstream Unionist parties were partly responsible for stirring up the riots.
tell you what come back to me when you want to be serious.

Mickeymac

For a start, there was a UUP councillor who openly declared support for the proposal for the flag. Can't remember his name, unfortunately.

PS Basil McCrea.

You spoke in the plural sir............ie moderate unionists.

between the bridges

feck off esk every CNR nutter on here gets labelled a unionist shrill!!

C

Castle Ray

I know that you are not a unionist, all opinions are welcome, but unionist opinion is hard to come by.
There are other threads with unionist opinion. Usually on this site any Unionist's opinion is greeted with howls of "bigot" from many of the Nat loons on here. That's 'water off a ducks back' of course but there's little point in engaging with such cretins hence the dearth of pro-Union opinion.

Mattarigna

There are other threads with unionist opinion. Usually on this site any Unionist's opinion is greeted with howls of "bigot" from many of the Nat loons on here. That's 'water off a ducks back' of course but there's little point in engaging with such cretins hence the dearth of pro-Union opinion.
Examples?

Drogheda445

As a fellow southerner I know how easy it is to feel that the unionist population in general seem to obsess over their "flegs" but they don't. This is the truly hardline bunch. Most unionists, and nationalists, are like you and me, they couldn't give a rat's *rse what flag flies on their town or city hall. It seems strange considering how East Belfast is festooned with Union Jacks all year round, they would feel that their culture is somehow being eroded.

between the bridges

Besides the activities of loons in the dissedent republician gangs, can you point out an example of when nationalists rioted over such a minor and mundane issue?
apart from the 'loons' (are they not part of the CNR community?) who are still shooting and bombing, try protestants walking down the street...

Drogheda445

To some people on here, especially over on the main board, the slightest bit of praise or support for a "Brit" opinion warrants you being branded a unionist/West Brit by some of the more mouth-foaming Brit-haters on here. You'd really wonder how people with such fascist-like viewpoints can be called "republicans".

Ren84

Peter Robinson states he wants to reach out to Catholics, a few weeks later unionists are attacking RC schools and pissing on the grounds of Catholic Churches. :rolleyes: