• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Unite For Life, 19th January...

sadmal

Couple of letters in last week's Irish Catholic (no, I don't buy it) saying they regretted the last Rally for life had been so religious. Might put some people off who are not religious. Seems this one will also be run by the Catholic church.

Youth 2000 - "Youth leading youth to the heart of the church" says it all really.

Kev408

There's hugely positive vibes from people all over the country about January 19th.

I don't care if the people who turn up are religous or not.

Saving the lives of unborn babies goes way beyond religion...:)
Even though you posted you gave Sinn Fein a preference vote in the last general election and I'd love to be there, I have some shirts to iron on that specific day.

sadmal

There's hugely positive vibes from people all over the country about January 19th.

I don't care if the people who turn up are religous or not.

Saving the lives of unborn babies goes way beyond religion...:)
That's was the point of the objection. If these marches/rallies are perceived as Catholic then it is assumed you are against abortion because of your religion beliefs - and not because you care about the unborn.

sadmal

Even though you posted you gave Sinn Fein a preference vote in the last general election and I'd love to be there, I have some shirts to iron on that specific day.
Planning a funeral? Colour party?

True Republican

i'm an atheist and i'll be attending.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

Couple of letters in last week's Irish Catholic (no, I don't buy it) saying they regretted the last Rally for life had been so religious. Might put some people off who are not religious. Seems this one will also be run by the Catholic church.

Youth 2000 - "Youth leading youth to the heart of the church" says it all really.
The Trots wil enjoy attacking it. They like attacking old Catholic ladies. That said, any opposition to Labour Party autocracy is good.

l

theObserver@hotmail.com

Lads, abortion is coming to Ireland no matter how many signs you wave around. Ten years from now people will look back wondering what the fuss is about.

johnny365

Abortion is here Irish women just the make the one hour flight to Britain.

sadmal

i'm an atheist and i'll be attending.

I thought you were against single mothers? Can you be pro-life and anti-lone parents? I know the parents of Youth Defence founders were to court to have the Unmarried Mothers Allowance (as it was then called) declared unconstitutional but that was back in the late eighties I think.

sadmal

The Trots wil enjoy attacking it. They like attacking old Catholic ladies. That said, any opposition to Labour Party autocracy is good.

l
But there will be no old Catholic ladies on this march. It is being organised by Youth 2000 which is a Catholic youth group set up in honour of Pope John Paul 11 after his visit to Europe. It will be all young women out front with the old men following behind as usual.

Ramon Mercadar

I hope there are no rains of frogs or plagues of locusts at the vigil. Will yer man be back hauling the life size crucifix?

Anyway, here something you might be interested in:

Pro-Choice Poster Calendar Set 2013

This poster-calendar set have been created for you to share and enjoy.

If you would like an A4 high quality, spiral-bound copy to hang on your wall just contact actionsforchoice@gmail.com with your postal address. Suggested donation to cover print and postage of €10 payable to Donate - Irish Choice Network.

storybud1

since it's pro choice does that mean that people who choose not to pay for the calender are ok?

Man, I wish an abortion survivor would visit you one day and see how tough you are then!

Ramon Mercadar

Interesting article from a "lifer" who lost the faith.

How I Lost Faith in the “Pro-Life” Movement
The spring of my sophomore year of college I was president of my university’s Students for Life chapter. The fall of my junior year of college I cut my ties with the pro-life movement. Five years later I have lost the last shred of faith I had in that movement. This is my story.

I was raised in the sort of evangelical family where abortion is the number one political issue. I grew up believing that abortion was murder, and when I stopped identifying as pro-life I initially still believed that. Why, then, did I stop identifying as pro-life? Quite simply, I learned that increasing contraceptive use, not banning abortion, was the key to decreasing the number of abortions. Given that the pro-life movement focuses on banning abortion and is generally opposed advocating greater contraceptive use, I knew that I no longer fit. I also knew that my biggest allies in decreasing the number of abortions were those who supported increased birth control use – in other words, pro-choice progressives. And so I stopped calling myself pro-life.

My views on fetal personhood and women’s bodily autonomy have shifted since that day, but when I first started blogging a year and a half ago I was nevertheless very insistent that the pro-life movement should be taken at its word when it came to rhetoric about saving “unborn babies” from being “murdered.” I insisted that the pro-life movement wasn’t anti-woman or anti-sex, and that those who opposed abortion genuinely believed that a zygote/embryo/fetus was a person with rights in need of protection just like any other person. I believed that the pro-life movement’s actions were counterproductive, but that they were merely misinformed. I wrote a post with practical suggestions for opponents of abortion. I believed that the pro-life movement was genuine in its goals, but simply ignorant about how its goals might best be obtained.

I have come to the conclusion that I was wrong.
How I Lost Faith in the “Pro-Life” Movement

Tea Shark

Shouldn't that be Unite for "unborn life". It is certainly not about anyone living whatever their circumstance.

Popular Threads

Most Replies