Unite Ireland

Cruimh

Finally the Unite Ireland section up and running .

It is fascinating. Takes you to another website - and there is next to sod-all about convincing the unionist community.

They are having a Rally - In Monaghan.

So - rather than work on convincing the unionist community that they should consider a United Ireland the plan is to increase support for Unification in the ROI ......

Quite how that will help as the GFA is based around the democratic wishes of the people of Northern Ireland is a bit of a puzzle.

Anglo Celt

So - rather than work on convincing the unionist community that they should consider a United Ireland the plan is to increase support for Unification in the ROI ......
Given recent polls, it would seem like a good place to start :D

Cruimh

Given recent polls, it would seem like a good place to start :D

It's all well and good - but even if 100% of the Voters in the ROI were to support unification it would have no bearing at all unless and until a majority in NI support Unification ;)

Next step in the SF plan is to get the philatelists of the ROI behind unification by establishing a commission to design new postage stamps petunia

As I said - it's revealing that my community don't come into their equation.

Estragon

Might I venture that you wouldn't be much of a Unionist if you were seriously considering a united Ireland.

Squire Allworthy

Right now can't see many in NI wanting to be part of a United Ireland. It isn't just Unionists you need to convince. Do you want to be a debt serf? Oh yes, yes yes and I get to fly the tricolour and get St Patrick's day off work. Yes. Please. please PLEASE!

They would be need to be mad.

Darren H

Right now can't see many in NI wanting to be part of a United Ireland. It isn't just Unionists you need to convince. Do you want to be a debt serf? Oh yes, yes yes and I get to fly the tricolour and get St Patrick's day off work. Yes. Please. please PLEASE!

They would be need to be mad.
Especially as we already get St Patrick's day off!

Anglo Celt

So are SF being hypocrites with the Unionist outreach program and the claim that they want us to be happy in a United Ireland ?
Unionist 'outreach' was doomed before it even begun. Real positive unity means Ireland cannot exist in the current form she does in the Republic. It would have to get more British for it to have any hope of success. They (nationalists of all hues, across the island) are not willing to make that step so they're pinning their hopes on the numbers game. They'd have to dilute their ideology and they're unwilling to do that. Not even for a unified Ireland.

All this unity talk is just meaningless waffle. The unity boat was missed a long time ago. They just haven't learnt to accept it yet.

S

SeamusNapoleon

Unionist 'outreach' was doomed before it even begun. Real positive unity means Ireland cannot exist in the current form she does in the Republic. It would have to get more British for it to have any hope of success. They (nationalists of all hues, across the island) are not willing to make that step so they're pinning their hopes on the numbers game. They'd have to dilute their ideology and they're unwilling to do that. Not even for a unified Ireland.

All this unity talk is just meaningless waffle. The unity boat was missed a long time ago. They just haven't learnt to accept it yet.
:confused:

Hang Union Jacks?
Enforced poppy-wearing?
X-Factor (oh, wait...)?

What does 'get more British' actually mean?

Darren H

What does 'get more British' actually mean?
Accept that being Irish isn't just about trickler waving paddywhackery.

There are many shades, that of the rampant republicanism exhibited by SF is only one. The Orange Order is another.

Ireland could learn a lot of lessons about inclusiveness of diverse people by studying the model of the UK. Which is why Unionists, and many small 'n' nationalists do not want to leave it.

meriwether

It's all well and good - but even if 100% of the Voters in the ROI were to support unification it would have no bearing at all unless and until a majority in NI support Unification ;)

As I said - it's revealing that my community don't come into their equation.
Strictly speaking, your community isn't needed.

As you say, a simple majority is needed for a ROI up North. It won't be today, nor tomorrow, buit the day may come when Nationalists outnumber Unionists.

Of course, its utterly moot as there is no way that Unionists will be railroaded en masse into something they don't want in any event. That would suit nobody, especially not the ROI taxpayers. Extermination and reeducation camps are bloody expensive these days.

In fact, the only people it suits is the hardpressed British tax payer. He's currently spending money on you AND us.
Poor ba5tard.

S

SeamusNapoleon

Accept that being Irish isn't just about trickler waving paddywhackery.

Ireland could learn a lot of lessons about inclusiveness of diverse people by studying the model of the UK. Which is why Unionists, and many small 'n' nationalists do not want to leave it.
Again seriously, all due respect and all that, but you're just throwing a couple of substance-less platitudes at me there.

What lessons?

For any example you give me, I could throw back a Birmingham 2005 or Oldham 2001.

I'm left with no new knowledge from your post, just a bunch of Blair-esque mealy-mouthed words of meaninglessness :?

Last edited:

Darren H

Again seriously, all due respect and all that, but you're just throwing a couple of substance-less platitudes at me there.

What lessons?

For any example you give me, I could throw back a Birmingham 2005 or Oldham 2001.

I'm left with no new knowledge from your post, just a bunch of Blair-esque mealy-mouthed words of meaninglessness :?
Ouch!

OK, there is a debate in the NI section about what a united Ireland would look like, and the point is repeatedly made that no serious consideration has been given as to what a UI would look like. It sure wouldn't look like the RoI with the northern bit of the island bolted on. What would it look like? How are you going to persuade Unionists to join in? I think the model for that is that Ireland (the new political entity) would have to become more like the UK.

There would certainly be some degree of federalism.

The UK, in my opinion, manages to integrate a massively diverse population into a broadly secular state. That is both at the level of devolution for Wales and Scotland, protection of minority languages in both those places, etc. But also the ethnic minorities. You can point at Oldham and Birmingham sure, but (again my opinion) those are not representative of most people's interaction with other cultures. Indeed, many of the protagonists would argue that their problem is that the other side is pandered to overly in terms of housing, benefits, culture. Or, to put it another way, examples of the state supporting minorities. Which is surely a good thing.

Tiocfaidh_Armani

Finally the Unite Ireland section up and running .

It is fascinating. Takes you to another website - and there is next to sod-all about convincing the unionist community.

They are having a Rally - In Monaghan.

Quite how that will help as the GFA is based around the democratic wishes of the people of Northern Ireland is a bit of a puzzle.

You have a point. They can march until the cows come home but until the majority within the six counties consent they're getting nothing. They sold out the republican objectives and just pay lip service to the ideal of a United Ireland.

Tiocfaidh_Armani

The UK is so inclusive. See Oldham and Burnley for example. When has that ever happened in Ireland? Also Stephen Lawrence. I don't think our police are anything like that. I live in Scotland and the amount of ill will towards the Asian community here is unreal.

Cruimh

Strictly speaking, your community isn't needed.

As you say, a simple majority is needed for a ROI up North. It won't be today, nor tomorrow, buit the day may come when Nationalists outnumber Unionists.

Of course, its utterly moot as there is no way that Unionists will be railroaded en masse into something they don't want in any event. That would suit nobody, especially not the ROI taxpayers. Extermination and reeducation camps are bloody expensive these days.

In fact, the only people it suits is the hardpressed British tax payer. He's currently spending money on you AND us.
Poor ba5tard.
Gerry himself has said that people in the North have to be persuaded.

mickdotcom

Who in their right mind would want to be united with us at the moment,

We can hardly afford to run the 26 Counties let alone another 6.

Lets get this house in order before getting an extension.

ItsEvolution

Who in their right mind would want to be united with us at the moment,

We can hardly afford to run the 26 Counties let alone another 6.

Lets get this house in order before getting an extension.
I think this is the biggest problem the preconception that it's us joining them, a united ireland for me would mean a entire restructure from the bottom up, the euro could be scrapped with nearly 8 million we could go it alone build a new currancy, the poltical system could change do it American style this would mean a new start for the whole 32.

New Threads

Most Replies