United Ireland is granted mainstream legitimacy

Dame_Enda

runwiththewind

The power sharing government worked well for years until Brexit and ssm and the heating scheme became issues. We can rejig the form of power sharing or autonomy in a UI. But I would say that if the Spanish govt were say to abolish autonomy for its regions, it would have a civil war on its hands. And so may we if we don't conciliate, just as we demanding concessions during British rule. Yes it is part of Ireland, but we can't just snap our fingers and expect 1 million Unionists to automatically accept a UI without us making some concessions to accommodate their culture.
There isn't 1 million unionists. You can't expect nationalists to continue to participate in Stormont when they want to be governed by Dublin.

Beside, autonomy only reinforces division for generations to come.

What culture should we be accommodating? They can continue their walking where they have always walked. Their bonfires where they have always had bonfires. What else is there?

Dame_Enda

There isn't 1 million unionists. You can't expect nationalists to continue to participate in Stormont when they want to be governed by Dublin.

Beside, autonomy only reinforces division for generations to come.

What culture should we be accommodating? They can continue their walking where they have always walked. Their bonfires where they have always had bonfires. What else is there?
This anti autonomy argument echoes that of the Unionists in the Home Rule controversy of 1886-1918 where the recalcitrant Tories and Unionists in Westminster were arguing it would be the end of the world if Ireland got Home Rule.

McSlaggart

Well probably the majority of wars in this world are related to separatism or ethno-religious differences. We need to learn from those conflicts so as to avoid it happening here.
? Most wars was about Power or glory.

It was unionism which brought the gun into the democratic process.

death or glory

? Most wars was about Power or glory.

Lies, lies lies.
Irish Republican Brotherhood, those pesky fenian and their predisposition for terrorism.

Antóin Mac Comháin

Tell me this. Why was the father of Irish Republicanism, Theobald Wolfe Tone, suspended from Trinity College? You can read his version of events, his families version of events, or you can read Marianne Elliott's version of events. Clue: It wasn't in defense of the democratic process. I wouldn't go so far as to say he had a predisposition towards terrorism, but like a lot of unionists and Republicans he most certainly had a predisposition towards violence, up to and including being an acquaintance to murder. He got suspended from college. I wonder what the punishment would have been for a man of no property?

McSlaggart

Tell me this. Why was the father of Irish Republicanism, Theobald Wolfe Tone, suspended from Trinity College? You can read his version of events, his families version of events, or you can read Marianne Elliott's version of events. Clue: It wasn't in defense of the democratic process. I wouldn't go so far as to say he had a predisposition towards terrorism, but like a lot of unionists and Republicans he most certainly had a predisposition towards violence, up to and including being an acquaintance to murder. He got suspended from college. I wonder what the punishment would have been for a man of no property?

Trinity College was set up in part to consolidate the rule of the Tudor monarchy in Ireland, and as a result was the university of the Protestant Ascendancy for much of its history.

Wikipedia

Antóin Mac Comháin

Patriotic Irish people want our country reunified. Ireland is our country - there will be no 2 partitionist teams - those days will be gone forever.
Most of the players on a United Ireland team would continue to play for English clubs, and there's no harm in that, in and of itself.

The real benefits in re-unification would come through the restructuring and re-alignment of local club competitions, with a view to twinning them with Scottish and Welsh competitions who already have similar provincial structures.

Antóin Mac Comháin

Trinity College was set up in part to consolidate the rule of the Tudor monarchy in Ireland, and as a result was the university of the Protestant Ascendancy for much of its history.
Which tells you everything you need to know about Wolfe Tone, and that strain of Irish Republicanism who march at Bodenstown, appealing to the men of no property. The facts of the matter are that a man of no property from the Liberties during that period would have been hung, drawn and quartered if he'd been involved in a similar type of crime.

Talk Back

No. Devolution with power-sharing in a United Ireland would be the New Stormont. Leinster House and the Old Stormont buildings will be converted into museums, as part of our colonial heritage and history. We need to build a New Parliament in the centre of Ireland, but not necessarily in Athlone, establish a new all-Ireland Irish Army, carrying the title of Óglaigh na hÉireann, establish a new non-armed Police Service with no connection to the past, which would no longer be answerable to the English or the EU.
We have a book in our library called the 'Longford Proposal' that covers that Antóin.

I agree with you.

Last edited:

Newrybhoy

No it's not - they are even talking about merging the 2 leagues in Ireland.

It's only a few weeks ago this story broke - look it up for yourself and weep.
Your assertion, you provide a link.

But you can't because it is complete and utter lies.

Talk Back

Here gobsh1te - read and weep.

Poor locationally challenged Unionists trapped in Ireland - that abomination of an artificial 6 county Statelet will be lucky if it even makes it to its sham centenary.

No flag to call your own - no anthem to call your own - no government to call your own - no majority to call your own - and best of all, no country to call your own.

On top of all that no soccer team to call your own

Yeah, good times - let's celebrate!!!

Hahahahahahahahahaha

AhNowStop

That's correct. Just as I've said all along...... the Backstop will be binned, time limited (as per this article) or majorly changed. You've disagreed with that all along. We'll soon see who is correct. 👍
ye didnt read the link you posted did ye you fool :rolleyes: ..
actually maybe you did but just didnt get the idiocy of putting up a post smugly rejoicing that "cracks were appearing" re Irelands stance over a time limit even though its the feckin DUP who were claiming this :rolleyes:😂😂😂😂 ..
Good grief you really havent a clue have you .... Im beginning to see why pathetic "deflecting"is all you're good for .. ye really arent up to anything else are you

btw, the only thing getting binned round here are your PM rights you silly little soldier 😂 😂

Antóin Mac Comháin

Q.1 - Do you support Irish re-unification?

Yes
No

Q.2 - Do you support an Independent Federal Republic?

Yes
No

Q.3 - Do you support a continuation of British rule in Ireland?

Yes
No

And everyone on the island over 18 gets one vote.
Yes it is part of Ireland, but we can't just snap our fingers and expect 1 million Unionists to automatically accept a UI without us making some concessions to accommodate their culture.
''We proclaimed a Republic-in-arms. It was ratified by the votes of the people. We swore we would defend it with out lives'' - Cathal Brugha

The problem isn't that 2 institutions evolved from the 1916 Republic and the 1918 General Election. The problem is that 3 institutions evolved from it. If the above 3 questions were put to the Irish people, and the DUP and Fine Gael won a majority, ie. the majority vote to keep partition, neither Nationalists nor Republicans who support either of the other two options could complain.

Sinn Féin don't have the consent of the majority of Irish people to call for devolved government in a United Ireland. By refusing to resign their positions in Leinster House, the Northern Assembly, the Councils, and from the local committees where they work hand-in-glove with the police in the north and south, they are collaborating with the people who carried out the raids across the north in the past week, and that is what is ultimately creating the conditions for continuing conflict, and not the people calling for Democratic elections. Partitionists are the ones snapping their fingers and talking up a Civil War.

@DeclanKearneySF welcomes start of rural road safety policing operations across South Antrim https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/54605

'The RUC/PSNI are currently raiding three homes in the Drumbeg Estate in Craigavon.'

Just like the Blueshirts in the 20's.

Antóin Mac Comháin

A separate question should have been put to the people concerning An Amnesty for all Political Prisoners and the combatants, including the British soldiers..
My personal preference is for some form of federalism, via an optional referendum, which would offer the Irish people the choice of maintaining the current system, and I support one Army and one non-armed Police Service, so I would be opposed to a separate army and police force, but not necessarily to the establishment of a Division of British-Ulster Nationalists, within both new structures.
You really are a bit nuts.

Why would you further alienate them by naming the new united army after a name sullied and stained by the Provos.
We have a book in our library called the 'Longford Proposal' that covers that Antóin.

I agree with you.
I can't seem to find it online. I'm a pacifist and I support neutrality, and it's actually immaterial, but like a lot of working class people in the south, I have several relatives who served in the Irish Army, but apparently I'm nuts because I support the concept of one man, one vote, one woman, one vote, and I'm alienating the British soldiers who murdered Irish people and members of the Loyalist Death Squads because I support An Amnesty for them via the consent of the people? They twist everything.

raetsel

I can't seem to find it online. I'm a pacifist and I support neutrality, and it's actually immaterial, but like a lot of working class people in the south, I have several relatives who served in the Irish Army, but apparently I'm nuts because I support the concept of one man, one vote, one woman, one vote, and I'm alienating the British soldiers who murdered Irish people and members of the Loyalist Death Squads because I support An Amnesty for them via the consent of the people? They twist everything.
I thought you said you wouldn't be replying to me again less than 24 hours ago. So why are you replying?

Antóin Mac Comháin

We need to learn from those conflicts so as to avoid it happening here.
'Trouble erupting in the New lodge area as expected PSNI ball boys come in heavy handed antagonising and taunting our republican youths..' - Republican Sinn Féin

Put your personal bias aside and have a look at the evidence in front of your eyes. I counted 15 armored vehicles. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there's going to be a violent backlash.

Talk Back

Here Antóin.

The Longford Parliament Proposal (Book, 1980) [WorldCat.org]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies