• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

University rankings show that small countries' universities can rank among the best

patslatt

See Executive Summary and full report

Ireland's middling university ranking suggests more investment is needed to catch up with the best small country university systems in Scandinavia. That means higher fees,as in Canada and England.

Last edited:

drummed

Define investment? Where are planning on getting the investment from?

Aristodemus

Define investment? Where are planning on getting the investment from?
University fees. A degree gives you a leg up. Time to pay for it.

Analyzer

Ireland's middling university ranking suggests more investment is needed to catch up with the best small country university systems in Scandinavia.
We would rather elect politicians who sepnd the money on junkets to Rio. It is all a matter of priorities.

And we would rather students who blew a few million brain cells of F'arthur's Day.

Analyzer

Maybe if we pay Ed Walsh another few grand, performance will improve.....

Nemesiscorporation

Ireland's middling university ranking suggests more investment is needed to catch up with the best small country university systems in Scandinavia.
It is not just investment that is needed.

Priorities need to be adjusted away from finance and law, towards scientific and engineering disciplines. That shift is not going to happen in Ireland short of an invasion.

Analyzer

It is not just investment that is needed.

Priorities need to be adjusted away from finance and law, towards scientific and engineering disciplines. That shift is not going to happen in Ireland short of an invasion.
...and let's face it...our finance graduates....a lot of them are not up to the job !!!

Aristodemus

Wrong. Fees would drive the lower classes out of the third level sector altogether.
Not if its paid back after graduation

tinyd

Not if its paid back after graduation
Slightly off-topic question, but here goes. Has a state-backed student loan system ever been discussed in Ireland? When I was in college in the UK I could borrow money at reasonable interest rates and I only had to pay it back once I earned above a certain threshold. I seem to remember that they have a similar system in other countries whereas here in Ireland the basic model is that parents pay up. I'd have thought that a student loan system might be a good way for the children of lower-income families to afford college.

Nemesiscorporation

...and let's face it...our finance graduates....a lot of them are not up to the job !!!
I have only met one who was. She left Ireland and studied further in Germany and now works in a finance house that did not require a bail out and refused to even discuss taking part in such a scheme.

All the other finance graduates I have met, appear to be fu*ktarded.

Kevin Doyle

I have only met one who was. She left Ireland and studied further in Germany and now works in a finance house that did not require a bail out and refused to even discuss taking part in such a scheme.

All the other finance graduates I have met, appear to be fu*ktarded.
That's what happens when you study a discipline that defines its guiding principles solely on theoretical cogitation devoid of circumspection

devnull

Slightly off-topic question, but here goes. Has a state-backed student loan system ever been discussed in Ireland? When I was in college in the UK I could borrow money at reasonable interest rates and I only had to pay it back once I earned above a certain threshold. I seem to remember that they have a similar system in other countries whereas here in Ireland the basic model is that parents pay up. I'd have thought that a student loan system might be a good way for the children of lower-income families to afford college.
FG proposed it before the last election and it was one of the things Labour latched onto during their "Every Little Hurts" campaign.
Labour got their way on it in the Programme for Government and their Minister for Education has been making savings elsewhere.

Edit: The FG proposal was actually a bit more complicated than a loan and involved paying it off through a higher PRSI rate.