Unkind thought: Massaging the motive behind the Ballyjamesduff attack

Wigmore

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0105/931156-court-appearance-over-new-years-eve-murder/

"Terror link not even considered in attack investigation"

Difficult one here. I seem to find myself interpreting the RTE message as: "Move on there now. Nothing to see here. Get on with your work, just some Polish hot heads, over watered in a card dispute!"

One could argue that it's only the responsible thing to say in order to prevent some sort of backlash against relatively defenseless immigrant communities. But with so much spin going on -- and downright falsehoods-- I think a healthy skepticism is necessary.
At any rate, keep in mind the hundreds of thousands of Polish who live in Ireland during the times of prejudicial, rush to judgement, racism and the suspicion that they have to weather.

Nitrogen

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0105/931156-court-appearance-over-new-years-eve-murder/

Difficult one here. I seem to find myself interpreting the RTE message as: "Move on there now. Nothing to see here. Get on with your work, just some Polish hot heads, over watered in a card dispute!"

One could argue that it's only the responsible thing to say in order to prevent some sort of backlash against relatively defenseless immigrant communities. But with so much spin going on -- and downright falsehoods-- I think a healthy skepticism is necessary.
At any rate, keep in mind the hundreds of thousands of Polish who live in Ireland during the times of prejudicial, rush to judgement, racism and the suspicion that they have to weather.
Nice try, but the analogy doesn't work

Nitrogen

Explain why, without being islamophobic and racist.
Well for the very obvious reason that (going by media reports) the incident in Cavan happened in a private house on New Years Eve. OK, we don't know to what extent the victim and assailant were "known to each other", but it seems that they were both attending the same private house party and thus were at least moving in the same social circle and therefore probably not random strangers. Also, given the circumstances, it is probably a reasonable assumption that the disinhibitory effects of alcohol intoxication may have been a contributory factor.

Contrast this with Dundalk where three genuinely random strangers were attacked in a public place over the course of many minutes. To my knowledge, there has been no suggestion yet of psychoactive substances being involved.

From the point of view of trying to make sense of the psychology of human criminal behaviours, it seems to me reasonable to regard these two incidents as being examples of quite different phenomena, (despite them both having similar eventual outcomes). Hence crude analogies, such as in the OP, which tries to lump these two different phenomena in together, are only likely to muddy the waters and are not at all helpful in trying to understand what drives people to act the way that they do.

BTW, It is also very regrettable that one cannot make an observation such as this without slurs about racism and Islamophobia being bandied about.

Analyzer

There is a high rate if probability that Eastern European males involved in aggression related incidents, are a result of heavy consumption of hard alcoholic spirits. ( vodka predominantly )

I wonder was the case in this incident.

The media in Ireland tends to not include the role of alcohol consumption in deaths.

I would file that approach as "support our advertising sponsors" ( who contribute to media revenues ).

Nitrogen

There is a high rate if probability that Eastern European males involved in aggression related incidents, are a result of heavy consumption of hard alcoholic spirits. ( vodka predominantly )

I wonder was the case in this incident.

The media in Ireland tends to not include the role of alcohol consumption in deaths.

I would file that approach as "support our advertising sponsors" ( who contribute to media revenues ).
Whereas of course Muslims are, by and large, far more sensible when it comes to the demon drink and thus far less likely to involved in a New Years Eve brawl.
So credit where credit is due.

(Mods; Can I say this or is it Islamophillic or racists or something?)

ruserious

Yet another virtue signaller out for a path on the head from his fellow travellers.

Barroso

Could it have involved a catholic fundamentalist who was enraged by another's apostasy?
(Mods: if the matter is sub iudice, please remove my post).

Wigmore

Nitrogen writes:

Whereas of course Muslims are, by and large, far more sensible when it comes to the demon drink and thus far less likely to involved in a New Years Eve brawl.
So credit where credit is due.

(Mods; Can I say this or is it Islamophillic or racists or something?)

This is an incredibly valid and accurate observation. I'd estimate alcohol is a factor in ~80% of violent crime and practicing Muslims don't drink which explains why they are not a factor in ~99% of Irish crime.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies