Unkind thought: Massaging the motive behind the Dundalk attack

yosef shompeter

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0104/931001-dundalk/

"Terror link ruled out in Dundalk attack investigation"

Difficult one here. I seem to find myself interpreting the RTE/Garda message as: "Move on there now. Nothing to see here. Get on with your work!"
One could argue that it's only the responsible thing to say in order to prevent some sort of backlash against relatively defenseless immigrant communities. But with so much spin going on -- and downright falsehoods-- I think a healthy skepticism is necessary.
At any rate, keep in mind the hundreds of thousands of Irish who lived in the UK during the troubles and the suspicion that they had to weather.
So the Gardaí... according to the somewhat jesuitical statement from RTE:
"... say they have found no established link to indicate the attacks in Dundalk yesterday, in which a Japanese national was stabbed to death and two other people were wounded, were terror-related."
Well that one can be dismissed pretty quick. A suspect allegedly got a knife and stabbed someone. Then later started attacking others with a knife and a steel bar. Kind of low-tech and spontaneous. Nothing planned and directed over the internet from some base in the Isis controlled Arabia.
But that ain't saying much. The message from Al Quaida and Isis is for spontaneous attacks against the West. D.I.Y.-like, so to speak.

News that a Japanese camera crew were over filming the scene of the crime shows the pressure that the Goverments Pr department must be under to try and play it down.

An unkind thought:
The fact that the murder victim was Japanese is significant. Was he especially selected for the international publicity that terror organizations strive for?
If the murder victim had been Irish, would he be simply regarded as "collateral damage".... a bit like the homeless and the patients on stretchers and such.... and disappear into the night --- after the funeral and the oration and all the speeches of course.

I hope that the gardai took the precaution making sure that the interview with the interpreter was on tiape so it can be examined later.
Jay, I worry too much about the little things.

It's striking the way Europe operates. Attack after attack occurs in France, UK, Germany where tens or sometimes over a hundred are killed and we gape at it all like cows looking over a garden wall. It's only when an attack occurs here that we finally wake up and it's driven home to us.
Of course, please bear in mind that it has been officially announced that the attack was not terror-related.

Hitchcock

Can the mods do their job for once and shut this sh!t down, there is a thread on the stabbing in Dundalk and all the bigots have enough space there to spew their bigotry, paranoia and conspiracy theories. There is no need for another thread on this matter.

parentheses

Middle easterners seem to have a greater propensity for knife crime anyway.

A Syrian fellow stabbed a man to death in England lately. He claimed it was a normal way to settle disputes where he came from.

Skin the Goat

Never has so much speculation been fitted into one op. :shock:

yosef shompeter

Middle easterners seem to have a greater propensity for knife crime anyway.

A Syrian fellow stabbed a man to death in England lately. He claimed it was a normal way to settle disputes where he came from.
I don't say that it's not true about Syrians... but I can recall a few years back that the Irish were saying the same thing about the East Europeans.... We Irish were always low-tech, I guess.

cricket

I don't say that it's not true about Syrians... but I can recall a few years back that the Irish were saying the same thing about the East Europeans.... We Irish were always low-tech, I guess.
I still have the pike under the thatch, just in case.

Analyzer

I have zero confidence in either the Irish ( compromised ) media or the incompetent gardai.

Fr Peter McWhinger

Difficult one here. I seem to find myself interpreting the RTE/Garda message as: "Move on there now. Nothing to see here. Get on with your work!"
One could argue that it's only the responsible thing to say in order to prevent some sort of backlash against relatively defenseless immigrant communities. But with so much spin going on -- and downright falsehoods-- I think a healthy skepticism is necessary.
At any rate, keep in mind the hundreds of thousands of Irish who lived in the UK during the troubles and the suspicion that they had to weather.

Well that one can be dismissed pretty quick. A suspect allegedly got a knife and stabbed someone. Then later started attacking others with a knife and a steel bar. Kind of low-tech and spontaneous. Nothing planned and directed over the internet from some base in the Isis controlled Arabia.
But that ain't saying much. The message from Al Quaida and Isis is for spontaneous attacks against the West. D.I.Y.-like, so to speak.

News that a Japanese camera crew were over filming the scene of the crime shows the pressure that the Goverments Pr department must be under to try and play it down.

An unkind thought:
The fact that the murder victim was Japanese is significant. Was he especially selected for the international publicity that terror organizations strive for?
If the murder victim had been Irish, would he be simply regarded as "collateral damage".... a bit like the homeless and the patients on stretchers and such.... and disappear into the night --- after the funeral and the oration and all the speeches of course.

I hope that the gardai took the precaution making sure that the interview with the interpreter was on tiape so it can be examined later.

It's striking the way Europe operates. Attack after attack occurs in France, UK, Germany where tens or sometimes over a hundred are killed and we gape at it all like cows looking over a garden wall. It's only when an attack occurs here that we finally wake up and it's driven home to us.
Of course, please bear in mind that it has been officially announced that the attack was not terror-related.
The Gardaí have reached their conclusion very quickly.

Ireland is after all a close US Ally.

The Field Marshal

RTE is no longer a trustworthy source of news.
This is particularly so when it comes to suspected terror related incidents in Ireland.

The reason is that Irelands massive state owned tv/radio network is under govt instruction to always downplay any possible Islamic terror incident for fear of provoking more.

The Field Marshal

I have zero confidence in either the Irish ( compromised ) media or the incompetent gardai.
Naked fear underpins the Irish states reaction to these events.
Hence they are always downplayed to prevent escalation.

Catalpast

agamemnon

Can the mods do their job for once and shut this sh!t down, there is a thread on the stabbing in Dundalk and all the bigots have enough space there to spew their bigotry, paranoia and conspiracy theories. There is no need for another thread on this matter.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a swan with mental problems!

Seán E. Ryan

... I think a healthy skepticism is necessary. ...
Lol.

First, lose the aluminium headgear. Next, learn that confirmation bias is the enemy of even sickly skepticism. Lastly, focussing on the acts of an individual so that you might describe the acts of the crowd, well, that's just downright stupid.

Would you like to buy some land?

I can get you a great deal soon as the tide goes out.

Prester Jim

To be honest I thought initially that the attack wasn't a terror attack because as the map shows he was all over the place and in a lightly populated area. In past attacks of this type (if it was a terror attack) they chose tourist spots or shopping streets with a lot of pedestrian population. Why Dundalk when he could have gotten to Grafton street in around an hour?
At this remove it doesn't seem to have any logic to it and that suggests that it is the act of someone mentally disturbed.

gerhard dengler

An unkind thought:

You raise an interesting question, Yosef.

Given that the Gardai's credibility on several other fronts has been shot to pieces, your question is a reasonable one.

RTE's credibility is not that much better than the Gardai's at present.

Gardaí have said they have found no established link to indicate the attacks, in which theJapanese national was fatally stabbed and two other people were wounded, were terror-related.

mr_anderson

I think that the institutional state considers the general population to be 100% stupid.

And it worked, until the Internet came along.
Suddenly people who held contrary views found they were actually in the majority, thus exposing the bullsh1t we've been fed for decades.

Fellow

To be honest I thought initially that the attack wasn't a terror attack because as the map shows he was all over the place and in a lightly populated area. In past attacks of this type (if it was a terror attack) they chose tourist spots or shopping streets with a lot of pedestrian population. Why Dundalk when he could have gotten to Grafton street in around an hour?
At this remove it doesn't seem to have any logic to it and that suggests that it is the act of someone mentally disturbed.
It’s more satisfying to believe in a Garda cover-up.

Wascurito

The T for terrorism word isn't that important. It doesn't matter if the chap was inspired by Islamic State, Al-Qaeda, Hamas or whoever. It seems that he set out to kill a number of randomly chosen victims and those of a particular mindset will interpret that as yet another confirmation that all Muslim males (or at least those from certain countries) are murderously violent and are not to be trusted.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies