• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Unnecessary high rates of Asthama among cleaner and other hazards of work.

SevenStars

One thing that I have noticed is that secretarial work especially in the 26 counties of the Irish Free State, and more so especially in Dublin, causes heightened cynicism (to put it mildly) and even outright misanthropy among those of us forced by circumstance to do it. I have seen these effects in myself and it is something I am trying to combat (pity the poor girl stuck at desk taking dictations from the vile blobs of meat that have degenerated out of humanity and make up what is called the "middle class" and observing such decays of humanity from a desk in the corner knowing that they will be going home to prawns and smoked salmon while she must content herself with such luxuries as heinz tomato soup- may God have mercy on her misery, and mine).

It was with great interest that I read this entry on what is often an informative blog.

"To any other cleaners out there, how many of us have asthma? Personally, I do not, but every other cleaner I've worked with, who's been in the profession for a long time, has. I always thought it was just a co-incidence, however Dr Jan-Paul Zock doesn't seem to think so.

Dr Zock has spent years researching asthma in the workplace and has published numerous papers specifically about cleaners and has come to one conclusion throughout - our employers are killing us."

And cleaners shall inherit the Earth!: Cleaners at additional risk of asthma

Also for those oh so concerned about my lack of pacifism....You may well consider you own lack of it as manifested in your slow murder of poor unfortunate cleaners in ways that could easily be avoided.

Last edited:

cricket

Question : where is the " Irish Free State " of which you post ?

fluffykontbiscuits

Ireland as you may not know SS (what do they teach in universities these days) is guarded by some of the most stringent health and safety laws within the EU. Any risks that would be posed to the cleaner never mind the worker themselves would be detailed in an SDS sheet that comes with the cleaning chemicals and would detail what precautions should be taken and in what case they can be used. Check out the legislation on risk assessments and use of chemicals (Health Safety and Welfare at Work Act 2005 and Chemicals Agents Regulations)

I suspect this is more tripe from your good self, I might as well be reading the back of a cornflakes box ....

Cato

Health and Safety legislation and regulations already cover this. If there is a hazard then employers have a duty to either eliminate, reduce, contain/isolate it or issue PPE. In this case the solution would seem to be some kind of mask with an air filter, such as this one;

The wearing of it would have to be mandatory.

You might first learn to spell Asthma before you start lecturing us.

SevenStars

Ireland as you may not know SS (what do they teach in universities these days) is guarded by some of the most stringent health and safety laws within the EU.....
Can you recommend any comparative studies of health and safety laws within the EU? Thank you wassums, I would genuinely be most interested.

Ireland is also a narcissistic dump of a country where rules are applied or not applied according to a non-logic unique to itself. Personally I have seen cleaners where masks like Cato posted in other places....But never here. So whatever maybe the case in paper in reality things are probably not as stringent.

SevenStars

You might first learn to spell Asthma before you start lecturing us.
I thought you were neither going to read or reply to my posts.

Another case it seems of the Irish not keeping to their self-appointed rules.

How disappointing.

I thought you were neither going to read or reply to my posts.

Another case it seems of the Irish not keeping to their self-appointed rules.

How disappointing.
Can't resist you SS. You certainly brighten up my day. Why, I actually feel positively glowing about myself as soon as I read your cr*p. Danke.

fluffykontbiscuits

Can you recommend any comparative studies of health and safety laws within the EU? Thank you wassums, I would genuinely be most interested.

Ireland is also a narcissistic dump of a country where rules are applied or not applied according to a non-logic unique to itself. Personally I have seen cleaners where masks like Cato posted in other places....But never here. So whatever maybe the case in paper in reality things are probably not as stringent.
You silly silly girl ...most chemicals legislation is drawn from EU directives such as CLP, Reach etc.

As for a comparative study, why? Most legislation is based on scientific principles applied to health and safety such as hieracrhies of control in relations to risk assessment and as a result most legislation is similar in terms of requiring risk assessments and safety statements

Section 19/20 of Health Safety Welfare at Work Act 2005 in Ireland and the HSE in the UK has something similar

Risk management: Risk Assessment

lol dont you love when you teach the uneducated...honey bunch think you are going to need to read up something other than Tim Pat Coogan...

You silly silly girl ...most chemicals legislation is drawn from EU directives such as CLP, Reach etc.
As for a comparative study, why? Most legislation is based on scientific principles applied to health and safety such as hieracrhies of control in relations to risk assessment and as a result most legislation is similar in terms of requiring risk assessments and safety statements

Section 19/20 of Health Safety Welfare at Work Act 2005 in Ireland and the HSE in the UK has something similar

Risk management: Risk Assessment
lol dont you love when you teach the uneducated...honey bunch think you are going to need to read up something other than Tim Pat Coogan...
My Boy fluffykont, you make my heart go giddiup You are my one desire. You set my world on fire. Whoop, my fluffykont. I love you and I love and I love you so, for sorting out the German Sow. I need you and I .....................

fluffykontbiscuits

My Boy fluffykont, you make my heart go giddiup You are my one desire. You set my world on fire. Whoop, my fluffykont. I love you and I love and I love you so, for sorting out the German Sow. I need you and I .....................
Hehem dinner at mine tonight ? ;)

sparkey321

Ireland as you may not know SS (what do they teach in universities these days) is guarded by some of the most stringent health and safety laws within the EU. Any risks that would be posed to the cleaner never mind the worker themselves would be detailed in an SDS sheet that comes with the cleaning chemicals and would detail what precautions should be taken and in what case they can be used. Check out the legislation on risk assessments and use of chemicals (Health Safety and Welfare at Work Act 2005 and Chemicals Agents Regulations)

I suspect this is more tripe from your good self, I might as well be reading the back of a cornflakes box ....
To be fair these are a number of recent studies starting to show a link between the use of hypochlorite (bleach) and asthma.

I would personally have issues with the use of spray bottles as they effectively nebulise a liquid. Nebulised droplets due to their huge surface area relative to their size are known to evaporate in air creating a vapour..

Both these are understood and are part of the training undertaken by cleaners.

Bleach should only ever be mixed in cold water (Bleach is the most dangerous chemical found in the home), not warm, not hot, cold.......

fluffykontbiscuits

To be fair these are a number of recent studies starting to show a link between the use of hypochlorite (bleach) and asthma.
I would personally have issues with the use of spray bottles as they effectively nebulise a liquid. Nebulised droplets due to their huge surface area relative to their size are known to evaporate in air creating a vapour..

Both these are understood and are part of the training undertaken by cleaners.

Bleach should only ever be mixed in cold water (Bleach is the most dangerous chemical found in the home), not warm, not hot, cold.......
I wasnt aware sparkey but if there is a definitive link found the legislation would be changed accordingly. The legislation I referenced is always updated continously every three or four years to take into account new findings and studies. Ireland has a fairly robust set of legislation to take account of it. :)

edor

Were cleaners not known as servants back in the time of the Free State?

ocoonassa

The genes implicated in asthma are the ones responsible for modelling immune inflammatory response. If everywhere is too clean the immune system turns against itself out of boredom.

As with so many other things the people to blame for the exponential increase in autoimmune diseases are women, we should never have told them about germ theory, it has made them unbelievably paranoid about germs and now the children aren't coming into contact with enough microbes and it is ruining their health.

/troll

SevenStars

The article I linked to written by someone who actually works as a cleaner is disturbing...that dismissal of her real life experience and research by wassums and someone who about whom, well the less said the better....Is even more disturbing.

fluffykontbiscuits

The article I linked to written by someone who actually works as a cleaner is disturbing...that dismissal of her real life experience and research by wassums and someone who about whom, well the less said the better....Is even more disturbing.

I work in occupational health and safety honey, as I say what are they teaching in University these days.....If the local RA head told you Santa existed would you tell him you agreed with him honeybunch? I imagine not, but if its printed on the net...IT MUST BE TRUE!

YoungLiberal

What? Do you think the anecdotal evidence of a cleaner to be infallible or something?