• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Up to €1billion to be cut from HSE budget: Harney

gijoe

Mary Harney is reported as having said this morning that between €600m and €1billion will have to be cut from the HSE budget next year (IIRC the HSE budget is circa €12billion). She said that finding these cuts will not be easy as 70% of the HSE budget goes in pay, which of course is off limits under Croke Park with any change in work practices unlikely to contribute anything next year as the government did a side deal with the Unions to pay upfront compensation for changes in work practices.

Baron von Biffo

Health to carry a quarter of the budget cuts: Harney

Coming up on RTE radio news now, Harney has claimed that her department will face a cut of up to €1Bn in the budget. With the total cut expected to be in the order of €4Bn this means that Health will bear 1/4 of the cuts.

Once again this appalling government targets the sick for the lions share of the burden.

Sync

From RTE
Minister for Health Mary Harney has said she expects that between €600 million and €1 billion will be removed from the Health Service Executive's budget.

She said that considering that 70% of the overall budget is designated to pay, that it would not be easy.
For ever €4 of expenditure this year, €1 went on health. It makes sense that of every €4 cut, €1 comes from health. If she makes even 50% of it though pay then it'll be as good a result as the department could have hoped for.

controller

will you lot stop worrying. Marys salary & pensions will not be touched...........nurses and other front line staff will get fired first........so all is well in Harney la la land

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
"She said that considering that 70% of the overall budget is designated to pay, that it would not be easy. ".

Then can I sugggest she actually talks to people working in the supposed "health service". Every single one of them that I know can point at unnecessary staff, ridicul;ous work practises and waste.

Samell

Will these cuts be found in expenses or pension top ups I don't think so.
Services are at a bare minimum as it is. Front line staff are hampered by staff shortages and lack of resources.
Maybe all the fancy outside agencies providing advice on how to save money, at a high cost of course paid more than they save probably, could be banned
plus Cathal Magee's €322,000 salary is not needed the Minister for health is already the head of the HSE surely or maybe we can save €112,428 by not paying Mary?

spidermom

Baron von Biffo

From RTE

For ever €4 of expenditure this year, €1 went on health. It makes sense that of every €4 cut, €1 comes from health. If she makes even 50% of it though pay then it'll be as good a result as the department could have hoped for.
The difference between management and government is the former is about numbers but the latter deals with people. Killing people by arithmetic should be anathema to a civilised government.

Ulster-Lad

Mary Harney contends that 70% of the HSE's budget is salary and she is constrained by the Croke Park agreement against any further cuts. The assumption would then be the other 30% is actually health care. Guess where the cuts are going to be?

Odyessus

"She said that considering that 70% of the overall budget is designated to pay, that it would not be easy. ".

Then can I sugggest she actually talks to people working in the supposed "health service". Every single one of them that I know can point at unnecessary staff, ridicul;ous work practises and waste.

Yes, and they'd all be pointing at someone else. :)

nonpartyboy

If the 3 nurses that i saw standing at a counter shuffling files between each other every time i attended the maternity clinic with the missus, were given something productive to do, then you probably wouldn't have had to employ 3 agency nurses elsewhere in the hospital that day. That's how you make savings.

Baron von Biffo

If the 3 nurses that i saw standing at a counter shuffling files between each other every time i attended the maternity clinic with the missus, were given something productive to do, then you probably wouldn't have had to employ 3 agency nurses elsewhere in the hospital that day. That's how you make savings.
Good place to start. The last thing we need cluttering up our health service is patient records.

Ethan Edwards

Our Mary is some woman for one woman! She at least does not shy away from telling other people that major cuts are still on the way. So to the old, sick, and any other people who depend on the HSE don't worry I am sure that Mary and her mates in FF still have very good private Health Care plans. Oh by the way how much did P-Pars cost in the end if there is ever an end to these things.

PPARS- a comedy of errors

pd_phoenix

Oh no you mustn't say anything about the nurses! 70% on wages is horrendous, imagine only 30% going on equipment etc, but alas Harneys hands are tied by trade unions who are only too happy to strike at a moments notice

nonpartyboy

Good place to start. The last thing we need cluttering up our health service is patient records.
What has inefficent practices got to do with patient records, my last couple of times i have been in hospitals normally waiting for hours, because you have little else to do if you just look at how they actually operate it is backwards stuff.

Maternity clinicls where they flood the place at 8am but the first doctor rarely shows before 9.30am, casualty wards where it takes hours to see a doctor who spends 2 minutes with you, to then sent the patient on their way. Staff in non medical attire who seem to endlessly ramble the corridors with a single file in hand. Why aren't the doctors there waiting for the people ?

turdsl

This is woman that looked after Mr Drumm and his advisers plus PR people. The
day he was in front of the Public accounts committee he had about 15 sitting behind him handing him papers. She owes the people an apology and her resignation.

nonpartyboy

This is woman that looked after Mr Drumm and his advisers plus PR people. The
day he was in front of the Public accounts committee he had about 15 sitting behind him handing him papers. She owes the people an apology and her resignation.
Up there with Mc Creevy for sheer brassneck and arrogance.

Clanrickard

You 3 nurses asking the same questions with the results passed to admin and then on to the matron and then they have a meeting. In the real world one person at a desk asks the questions and they go onto a computer file which is updated as required.

Baron von Biffo

What has inefficent practices got to do with patient records, my last couple of times i have been in hospitals normally waiting for hours, because you have little else to do if you just look at how they actually operate it is backwards stuff.

Maternity clinicls where they flood the place at 8am but the first doctor rarely shows before 9.30am, casualty wards where it takes hours to see a doctor who spends 2 minutes with you, to then sent the patient on their way. Staff in non medical attire who seem to endlessly ramble the corridors with a single file in hand. Why aren't the doctors there waiting for the people ?
So what you're telling us is, based on your casual observations while visiting a hospital you have deemed them to be inefficient.

Would it occur to you at all that the reason you have to wait a long time for a doctor who has to rush away quickly is because we don't have enough doctors?

Do you think the patients should go to the administrators to avoid offending you by having admin staff 'endlessly rambling' about the place?

Popular Threads

Most Replies