Uplift: People Power or Lazy virtue signalling?

Clanrickard

https://uplift.ie/

Here it is in all its glory. A website for "progressives" to sign petitions when they are bent out shape about something or other. The latest campaign involves banning all climate change denier from RTE.
https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/ban-climate-change-deniers-from-rte?bucket&source=twitter-share-buttonNow
I have zero time for yahoos like the Healy Raes and even less for professional climate change deniers like Lord Monckton but banning things you don't like is not the way to go about it.

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/demand-ronan-mullen-makes-a-full-apology
This campaign is campaigning for the removal of a democraticly elected Senator because he said something nasty. Astonishingly over 2000 people signed a petition in blind ignorance of how democracy works.

I realise this site is not taken terribly seriously by many but it underlines again that on the left side of the fence there is an increasing intolerance of views people don't like. Does anyone here sing these petitions and do they make much difference? The Pirate Party had a proposal to allow people to sign petitions which he government or local authorities would then have to allow people to vote online to see if they are in favour. I myself think clicking on a box is too easy and cost free for serious issues.

Mushroom

ShoutingIsLeadership

Meanwhile, at this very moment, right wing FG TD is discussing a bill to restrict the freedom of people to use social media, during trials.

But focus on these eejits instead.

The_SR

More snowflakery. Nothing at all stopping you setting up a right wing equivalent.

And ate you not virtue signalling about virtue signalling

Mushroom

Meanwhile, at this very moment, right wing FG TD is discussing a bill to restrict the freedom of people to use social media, during trials.

When the cretin fairy flew around the maternity ward sprinkling eejit dust on all of the newborn infants, it was very unfair of your mother to ask it to give you a second helping.

Clanrickard

I don't like censorship no matter who is doing the censoring.

ShoutingIsLeadership

When the cretin fairy flew around the maternity ward sprinkling eejit dust on all of the newborn infants, it was very unfair of your mother to ask it to give you a second helping.

Your shtick is as predictable as it is boring, lately. You need to up your game.

Clanrickard

Those eejits have no power to censor
I think you are referring to a contempt of court bill. Not exactly banning anyone is it? It is merely extending contempt of court legislation to social media.

HenryHorace

Maybe we should all stop breathing just on case we offend someone.

Mushroom

Your shtick is as predictable as it is boring, lately. You need to up your game.
If you genuinely believe that, then perhaps you could start the ball rolling by composing an intelligent, or quasi-intelligent post for me to slap down. Currently, the pimple-squeezing sh1te that you are posting is more or less what I'd expect from a junior cert student one of whose parents is a low-ranking NBRU official.

PS if you can't manage it yourself, then why not ask one of the half-wits who 'liked' your infantile post for assistance - if you reckon that they'd have anything useful to contribute.

ShoutingIsLeadership

If you genuinely believe that, then perhaps you could start the ball rolling by composing an intelligent, or quasi-intelligent post for me to slap down. Currently, the pimple-squeezing sh1te that you are posting is more or less what I'd expect from a junior cert student one of whose parents is a low-ranking NBRU official.

PS if you can't manage it yourself, then why not ask one of the half-wits who 'liked' your infantile post for assistance - if you reckon that they'd have anything useful to contribute.

When you've little else to offer, I guess you need to double down on the boring

statsman

The bastards. They should really just abolish the courts and let all trials happen on Twitter.

Betson

Here it is in all its glory. A website for "progressives" to sign petitions when they are bent out shape about something or other. The latest campaign involves banning all climate change denier from RTE.
Caught a bit of the week in politics on Sunday on RTE and they were talking about climate change re the recent storms and a FF TD on it said that RTE and other broadcasters should de-platform , ie silence anyone who has an alternative view from the mainstream on the causes of climate change. Regardless of your views debates should never be guillotined like that , but it is seems to be the way we are moving on a lot of subjects.

razorblade

Can we all just listen to and accept that people hold all different views in society no matter what side of the political fence you may be on.

realistic1

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/ban-climate-change-deniers-from-rte?bucket&source=twitter-share-buttonNow
I have zero time for yahoos like the Healy Raes and even less for professional climate change deniers like Lord Monckton but banning things you don't like is not the way to go about it.

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/demand-ronan-mullen-makes-a-full-apology
This campaign is campaigning for the removal of a democraticly elected Senator because he said something nasty. Astonishingly over 2000 people signed a petition in blind ignorance of how democracy works.

I realise this site is not taken terribly seriously by many but it underlines again that on the left side of the fence there is an increasing intolerance of views people don't like. Does anyone here sing these petitions and do they make much difference? The Pirate Party had a proposal to allow people to sign petitions which he government or local authorities would then have to allow people to vote online to see if they are in favour. I myself think clicking on a box is too easy and cost free for serious issues.
We are a Nation that allowed our own Citizens to be censored during the recent troubles. Maybe some of our Citizens have become fond of this censorship lark, it is definitely a way to promote and win one side of an argument.

ShoutingIsLeadership

The bastards. They should really just abolish the courts and let all trials happen on Twitter.
There's nothing in the existing law which prevents social media being subject to the same rules as the wider media.

Mick Mac

Here is what it is in one:

A useful place set up by well meaning people to allow other well meaning people vocalise with a digital signature and at the same time a handy place to attract perhaps thousands of people to a site and monetise traffic via advertising. (The nexus of good intentions and an income stream is often present)
It's P.ie basically but with a sense of achievement.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies