• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

US and China both ratify Paris climate agreement

McTell

Twitter
No
The US and China - together responsible for 40% of the world's carbon emissions - have now both ratified the Paris global climate agreement.
After arriving with other leaders of G20 nations for a summit in the city of Hangzhou, Mr Obama said: "History will judge today's effort as pivotal."
CO2 emissions are the driving force behind climate change.

Paris climate deal: US and China announce ratification - BBC News

Will it work?

Can it work?

Personally I would prefer a warmer earth.

The Herren

No and No.

As for a warmer earth you may get that sooner rather than later given the same China's
carry on in the Yellow Sea area.

ibis

Good news, if past time.

fgrep

No room for him in FG in Wicklow. Wont get preferment in FF . Might be a good fit for Renua Nua.

willow68

More window dressing from the biggest polluters on this planet
Money walks and bull************************ talks. This year we have seen 53 degrees Celsius in Kuwait. If you want a hotter planet, I suggest a nice vacation next July. I fear it may be too late for many species affected by climate change. We on our sainted island will not escape either. Remember the rain which lasted from November to March? The one percent are insulated. For everyone else it will be a rough ride.

owedtojoy

The US and China - together responsible for 40% of the world's carbon emissions - have now both ratified the Paris global climate agreement.
After arriving with other leaders of G20 nations for a summit in the city of Hangzhou, Mr Obama said: "History will judge today's effort as pivotal."

Will it work?

Can it work?

This is a warmer earth.

On average, 1C warmer than in 1850.

But, what if it get's too warm?

So be careful what you wish for.

Another 1C, due in about 50 years at current rates, is reckoned to be the limit of what is safe. Other scientists reckon we can only safely take another 0.5C global average.

There is no reason to expect that switching from fossil fuels to clean sources cannot work. We changed from stone to bronze to iron to steel. We stopped burning dried cow dung and forests.

Analyzer

Good news.

Meanwhile IRL will do it's bit by moving Dubliners to the Midlands where they can buy houses on land rezoned by brown envelope fed politicians. Dublin will remain vertically challenged. And our carbon footprint will keep ascending.

Regards,
"Punching above our weight"
The news supplement to the property paper.

Analyzer

To be honest, we in Ireland need to address the issue of residential development being 40km or more away from location of work.

That is something approaching fast with respect to our carbon footprint.

Also mass transit in Dublin only exists along the coast. The luas is two double decker buses in terms of volume.

DARTU is required. Two rapid transit lines Malahide to Naas. Leixlip to Greystones. And possibly spurs to Lucan or Finglas.

brianjones

It's Big step in the right direction. However much of the 2C warming is already baked in. How much more than that will be determined. It's been bloody hot in Asia too this year..records being broken year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Analyzer

More public transport. More afforestation. Less coal fired electricity. More nuclear power. The big scale usage of hydrocarbons will have to change.

Hans Von Horn

Will it work?

Can it work?

What obligations does that impose on them?

owedtojoy

More public transport. More afforestation. Less coal fired electricity. More nuclear power. The big scale usage of hydrocarbons will have to change.
Transport needs to be re-thought. There is new technology in the offing - probably self-driving electrical cars that you just book and use when you need. A university lecturer friend of mine heard a talk from a VP of Ford who told them the car companies expect the model of car ownership to completely change in the coming decades.

From the "romance" of learning to drive, getting a car loan, saying "fill 'er up" at a petrol station etc etc, with insurance and taxes most young people regard owning a car as uncool and a drag.

Agricultural emissions are Ireland's big problem, and one I do not see the Government facing.

We do not need a nuclear power station, but should buy nuclear-generated electricity if we have to.

This article in the Economist reckoned that wind and solar will be beating them all in a decade (UK prices):

When the facts change... | The Economist

The main thing I take from this is that there are solutions out there, and we can judiciously pick the ones that suit us. They will not be free, but cost less in the long run compared to the damage of too-much climate change.

McTell

Twitter
No

Trainwreck

Will it work?

Can it work?

How did Obama manage to ratify the treaty like some tinpot dictator. Constitutionally the Congress should have a say, no?

McTell

Twitter
No
How did Obama manage to ratify the treaty like some tinpot dictator. Constitutionally the Congress should have a say, no?
As you say; in China, once it's signed it's the law. Not so the separation-of-powers USA. Obama is amassing feel-good material for the last few chapters of his autobio. I think he's done OK over 8 years but I won't be buying it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies