• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

US armed forces lift ban on women in combat

Kev408

Fair enough. That's what equality is all about.

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld
This is a disastrous idea.

in Israel, after the post-1973 expansion of the army which strained available manpower and created a demand for skilled operators, the presence of women was increased noticeably at all ranks up to brigadier-general. On the whole the job they have done has been excellent, but there has been an enormous social cost. Jobs got considered undesirable because they began to be done by women. More women at all ranks has in fact made it tougher to attract first-class manpower.

The presence of women in combat units will damage unit cohesion, and in combat men will be inclined to abandon the stated mission in order to protect women.

Morgellons

ManOfReason

This was inevitable. Not sure how I feel about it however.

drummed

Yep this is what Emily Wilding Davison died for! So that women could join the army and kill and murder random foreigners as well as men. She'd be so proud.

[video=youtube_share;gw4L6UJIJ7Q]http://youtu.be/gw4L6UJIJ7Q[/video]

alloverbartheshouting

For me, equality in the work place means the right person for the right job. If women are prepared to go into battle, then they should be allowed to do so, especially if menas better chances for career advancement Not all women, but the right people. I say this as the only limitation I see for women serving as combat troops is physical strength. Surely not all men who join the armed services are not selected for such duties, so this will of course, mean that not all serving female soldiers will be going into combat.

Again, the right person for the right job.

ruserious

Combat soldiering is a demanding physical task. Anyone who is physically strong enough for it should be allowed do it. As women are generally weaker than men, I would hope for their sake that they do not try to bring proportionality of gender into it. Keep the same tests and whoever passes it, gets in. If that means only 5% of combat soldiers are women, so be it. You cannot lower standards in exchange for PCness.

ruserious

On a side, US female soldiers have been serving on front line combat for years now, just not with official units.

Papillon

Great news, but is there an ulterior motive here? is there a shortage of men available for front line combat roles?
What's the situation with the Irish armed forces?

ruserious

Great news, but is there an ulterior motive here? is there a shortage of men available for front line combat roles?
What's the situation with the Irish armed forces?
I think that gender equality exists across all the Defence Forces. Never heard differently. Although on the Peacock Class NS Ships, there is no accomodation for female ratings.

forest

a solders job is to kill people
and in taking that job you risk death
If you want to be in the army you should be willing to take these risks

I was reading a submission from the Norwegin Mens Form which argued that while civil service is open to men and women. Men must do military service while women can choose to do more voluntary style work

parentheses

I say this as the only limitation I see for women serving as combat troops is physical strength. Surely not all men who join the armed services are not selected for such duties, so this will of course, mean that not all serving female soldiers will be going into combat.

Again, the right person for the right job.

No, not all female soldiers will be going into combat. But this move is significant insofar as it opens all combat roles to women.

Even the special forces will be opened to women under this ruling.

Ribeye

The Feminists will be cheering this,

Well done ladies, now if a women wants to go to the front to kill and be killed she can, yay:)

But wait, what about the unintended consequences?

What about all the women who's very idea of hell would be to be sent overseas to kill and be killed,

"They don't have to go, do they" I hear you shriek,

Not now maybe, but what if the global situation deteriorates and the US warmongers need more cannon fodder?

Yep, you guessed it ladies, Conscription,

Congratulations girls, you have potentially sentenced many innocent peace loving women to a gruesome death,

Nice work airheads!

ruserious

The Feminists will be cheering this,

Well done ladies, now if a women wants to go to the front to kill and be killed she can, yay:)

But wait, what about the unintended consequences?

What about all the women who's very idea of hell would be to be sent overseas to kill and be killed,

"They don't have to go, do they" I hear you shriek,

Not now maybe, but what if the global situation deteriorates and the US warmongers need more cannon fodder?

Yep, you guessed it ladies, Conscription,

Congratulations girls, you have potentially sentenced many innocent peace loving women to a gruesome death,

Nice work airheads!
You completely miss the point again, as per usual.

Ulster-Lad

Combat soldiering is a demanding physical task. Anyone who is physically strong enough for it should be allowed do it. As women are generally weaker than men, I would hope for their sake that they do not try to bring proportionality of gender into it. Keep the same tests and whoever passes it, gets in. If that means only 5% of combat soldiers are women, so be it. You cannot lower standards in exchange for PCness.
There are different physical standards for men and women in the military. The standard for the men is much greater then that of the women. If women want to serve in combat then they should have to meet the same physical standards IMO.

2012 Army Fitness Standards

Last edited: