US assassinates Iranian general in Iraq

Clanrickard

Are you suggesting that being woted into power means that you are neither sleazy nor authoritarian?

You do realise that Hitler, Duterte, Bolsonaro and Trump were all voted democratically and legally into power, don't you? The last two are particularly sleazy, all four authoritarian to varying degrees.
Ok. Slowly for you. Authoritarian means what?

Paddyc

They stopped firing on the yanks last week after killing no yanks- it’s the worst revenge since the Neo-Nazis said they would fight the ANC to the death and give up three days after they made that statement-
I'm old enough to remember when the Americans bombed Ghadaffi's compound in Tripoli and in retaliation for the West Berlin discotheque bombing and how this meant Ghadaffi wouldn’t misbehave in the future.

How many tons of weapons did he give to the IRA because the F-111s left from bases in England?

They think long term in the Middle East and the Iranians are better at this than Ghadaffi ever was.

This isn't over by a long shot.

michael-mcivor

I'm old enough to remember when the Americans bombed Ghadaffi's compound in Tripoli and in retaliation for the West Berlin discotheque bombing and how this meant Ghadaffi wouldn’t misbehave in the future.

How many tons of weapons did he give to the IRA because the F-111s left from bases in England?

They think long term in the Middle East and the Iranians are better at this than Ghadaffi ever was.

This isn't over by a long shot.
It’s over like Ghadaffi is over- and I mean no disrespect-
Ghadaffi give weapons and money to the IRA in the 70s long before that arms boat was caught in 86- America give the IRA the armalite in the early 70s and the slogan was painted on the walls- ‘ God made the Catholic but the armalite made them equal ‘-

IRAN has Sh1t the nest- best to not associate your name with that crap-

ffc

You say why fight the most sophisticated war machine on earth then you give the example of IRAQ who beat that machine of the roads and into barracks-
Iran might have influence- but they have no backbone-
The Iranian militias did plenty of fighting against the US during the occupation. During the Iran/ Iraq war they certainly proved themselves to be resilient. The yanks were supporting Sadaam back then but the Iranians couldn't be beaten.
Remember, this is their part of the world. Long after Trump is gone, long after the troops have gone home,they will still be there. This is where they live.
Personally, I don't really care what happens in that part of the world. I don't really care what happens in Burkino Fassa or Costa Rica. Iran, Iraq, Syria they are thousands of miles away. It's none of our business.
Why not just leave them alone, let their history play out, with no interference from powerful military states.

michael-mcivor

The Iranian militias did plenty of fighting against the US during the occupation. During the Iran/ Iraq war they certainly proved themselves to be resilient. The yanks were supporting Sadaam back then but the Iranians couldn't be beaten.
Remember, this is their part of the world. Long after Trump is gone, long after the troops have gone home,they will still be there. This is where they live.
Personally, I don't really care what happens in that part of the world. I don't really care what happens in Burkino Fassa or Costa Rica. Iran, Iraq, Syria they are thousands of miles away. It's none of our business.
Why not just leave them alone, let their history play out, with no interference from powerful military states.
Sure I would leave them alone if they treated women fair - did you see pictures of women in Iran in the 60s and early 70s- they were normal- now they are burka’s- that system has to be beaten to a inch of itself-

Antóin Mac Comháin

This isn't over by a long shot..
Is it not? I think you're wrong in the short-term, but there will be repercussions for the wider conflict in the ME in the long-term, and I don't think any of us can predict what they'll be, but most people would agree that it will most likely be via some form of entity such as JNIM, and that it will be Europe which will ultimately pay the blood price of that terrorism in 40-50 years time.

US Strike on Iranian Commander in Yemen the Night of Suleimani's assassination killed the wrong man

"ON THE NIGHT the U.S. assassinated Iranian Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani by drone strike, the U.S. launched a similar operation to kill a top Iranian commander in Yemen, a U.S. official told The Intercept.

The operation was aimed at killing Abdul Reza Shahlai, the commander of the Yemen division of Iran’s elite Quds Force, near the Yemeni capital Sana’a. Shahlai survived, but a lower-level Quds Force operative was killed, and Shahlai went into hiding, the official said. Shortly thereafter, Iranian state TV reportedly announced the death of a Quds Force operative named Mohammad Mirza in “one of the fields of Resistance Front.”

Unidentified aircraft strike Iranian militias in Syria

Syrian army urges civilians to leave last rebel enclave; Russia ...

Would President Trump Travel to Syria to Meet Assad?

Putin urges Syria's Assad to invite Trump for visit

What would have happened if Suleimani hadn't intervened when he did? The only conclusion I can think of is that the future alluded to above may very well have come a lot sooner. The irony, eh?

edg

They are protesting against the Iranian regime who promised bloody revenge on the Americans then Sh1t itself and are at Peace a few days later- how can people chant ‘ death to America ‘ then go home to scratch their holes- makes no sense-
Wha?

silverharp

Paddyc

It’s over like Ghadaffi is over- and I mean no disrespect-
Ghadaffi give weapons and money to the IRA in the 70s long before that arms boat was caught in 86- America give the IRA the armalite in the early 70s and the slogan was painted on the walls- ‘ God made the Catholic but the armalite made them equal ‘-

IRAN has Sh1t the nest- best to not associate your name with that crap-
Ghadaffi had lost interest until bombers that took off from England killed his adopted daughter.

"America" did not give the IRA the Armalite FFS. Irish republicans living in America purchased Armalites from a variety of dubious sources. It's not the same an you know it, unless you have information that the US government supplied the IRA back in the 70s.

Ghadaffi didn't strike back against the yanks directly but he did harm a significant US Ally. It is estimated that Libya supplied between 113 tons and 154 tons of weapons valued on the open arms market at around £50 million at that time while we were being blithely assured that Libya had been taught a lesson.

The Mujahadeen (and the Taliban after them) had the slogan "You have the watches but we have the time" and the same thing applies in Iran and Iraq today.

Hillmanhunter1

Iran's president calls for a special court to investigate crash and for all those responsible to be punished':

Iran announces first arrests in downing of Ukrainian airliner

Compare and contrast to the US Navy which awarded special commendation medals for "meritorious service" to two of the top officers who were serving on the USS Vincennes at the time the cruiser shot down a civilian Iranian airliner in Iranian airspace killing all 290 people aboard:
Iran Air Flight 655 - Wikipedia
MEDALS GO TO TOP OFFICERS IN CHARGE OF VINCENNES

Yet some posters have the gall to suggest that the Americans are the good guys - there are no good guys, just interests and advantages.

edg

Careful, you could hurt yourself with contortions like that.
Huh?

I'm arguing that the US government has become more arrogant in recent history.

You are arguing that they have always been this arrogant.

Where's the contortion?

Clanrickard

You don't think Iran was more liberal before US intervention that led to the current situation re the Ayatollah?

What part do you think is a lie?
Yes and it was supported by the US. The Ayatollahs overthrew that regime and they hare the US. Learn a bit of history.

recedite

Sure I would leave them alone if they treated women fair - did you see pictures of women in Iran in the 60s and early 70s- they were normal- now they are burka’s- that system has to be beaten to a inch of itself-
You have no idea what is really playing out in that part of the world. Its the age-old deadly rivalry between shia and sunni muslims, where Saudi Arabia is the epicentre for one, and Iran is the epicentre for the other. Neither of them gives a fig about women's rights.
Russia does a lot of business with one side, and the USA does a lot of business with the other. Its all about oil, dollars and Korans. Not anybody's rights.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Some young Iranians do appear to be quite vocally pro-American.
I doubt they know much about the USA and possibly care less. The Mullahs are 'agin the USA and that's enough for them. Cocking a snook at the clerical establishment is what its about.

You don't think Iran was more liberal before US intervention that led to the current situation re the Ayatollah?
What's your definition of !liberal"? A wildly unpopular despotism based on the military ruled by a kleptocratic monarch and backed by SAVAK, a brutal secret police force. It was the Shah that was USA's main man in the Middle East: anti-Soviet, economically liberal, friendly towards Israel.

I heard be made being gay illegal, drone bombed abortion clinics, sent Federal funds to the KKK and sacked all females from public office. Or rather that is what I heard would happen from my very dramatic leftie friends.
That's what happens when you go on a 'The handmaid's tale' watching binge.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies