• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

US based Child Pageant coming to Ireland?

Cruimh

Lord help us - I detest all this malarkey - it is bordering on child abuse.

Controversial US child pageant to make Irish debut in September | Irish News | IrishCentral

“As seen on Toddlers & Tiaras Television Show, Universal Royalty Beauty Pageant the most talked about Child Beauty Pageant world wide will be in Dublin & Cork, Ireland to host another fantastic GLITZ beauty pageant for babies, toddlers and teens,” a statement from the company said this week.

Texas-based Universal Royalty Beauty Pageant said they are not going to announce where they event will be staged to prevent media backlash, after they were forced to cancel a pageant in Ireland last year
Controversial US child pageant to make Irish debut | Irish Examiner

However, bosses confirmed that the beauty contest will be open to “babies, toddlers and teens” — and will include a heat with youngsters decked out in swimwear — with “great prizes and trophies” on offer for the winners.

They also said the event would be no different to previous controversial pageants held regularly across the US, which often include children as young as three or four wearing false eyelashes, hair extensions, and push-up, padded bras.

Children’s watchdogs and child psychologists in Ireland have been vocal in their opposition to child beauty pageants, warning that the long-term effects on youngsters who take part could be devastating.

They have argued that innocent children are being exploited, sexualised, and encouraged to be obsessed about their looks, adding that the high pressure put on them to win could lead to mental problems in later life.

Hopefully this attempt will be as unsuccessful as the last. Parents who use their children this way should be ashamed of themselves. Or am I being too harsh?

D

Dylan2010

I heard about this last week, trying to keep the hotel secret apparently :confused: , Wouldn't ban it but would take the p1ss out of it from here to Doomsday. Please confirm by suspicion that it will be mostly skangers and travellers from West Dublin that will be entering????? mind you the fake hair and tan in kids Irish dancing is trying to nip at the heels

Kournikovaism

I've never approved of these child beauty pageants, I've no issue with adult ones since the girls consent but frankly a pageant for kids is creepy and weird to be honest. Sad that Irish people are just as big of fools as Americans it seems.

Sync

Fantastic. Bringing a bunch of pre-teens with body issues to a country of 2000 priests and a sustained history of hiding child abuse.

What. Could. Possibly. Go. Wrong.

mr. jings

However, bosses confirmed that the beauty contest will be open to “babies, toddlers and teens” — and will include a heat with youngsters decked out in swimwear — with “great prizes and trophies” on offer for the winners.

They also said the event would be no different to previous controversial pageants held regularly across the US, which often include children as young as three or four wearing false eyelashes, hair extensions, and push-up, padded bras.
Jesus. Christ. No.

dizillusioned

Oh come on Cruimh, we know you have secret repressed issues and wanting to participate....;)

drjimryan2

education is free
childcare is free
housing is free
healthcare is free..........wot oh wot to spend your money on.......

skankenomics.......

D

Dylan2010

Fantastic. Bringing a bunch of pre-teens with body issues to a country of 2000 priests and a sustained history of hiding child abuse.

What. Could. Possibly. Go. Wrong.
Id have been struggling to come up with a catholic church angle on this one....<tips hat> , more a welfare state and education failure of our home grown trailer trash I would have thought.... Im sure in the old days the priests would have protests and "down with that sort of thing" placards by now.

SEAMAI

Controversial US child pageant to make Irish debut in September | Irish News | IrishCentral

Hopefully this attempt will be as unsuccessful as the last. Parents who use their children this way should be ashamed of themselves. Or am I being too harsh?
Not at all, I'm sure most people would agree wholeheartedly with you. The whole thing is pretty sick and the parents should be ashamed of themselves. I heard a mention of it on the radio last week and some person was saying that they would have to keep the venue a secret. I'd imagine it would be very difficult to keep an event like that under wraps, someone's going open their mouth and then the proverbial will hit the fan and the event will be cancelled. While I'm on the subject, the whole Irish dancing thing isn't a whole lot better, who deemed those hideous wigs to be de rigueur?? They look like something you'd go trick or treating in.

mr. jings

Apparently in one show a child was dressed up to look like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman complete with thigh high boots, she was three years old!
I was at a kids talent school concert in Dublin once where a five year old girl in a mini-dress was jumping around on stage singing that Vengaboys song: 'Boom, boom, boom/I want you in my room/Let's spend the night together/From now until forever etc.' At no point did a father jump up, run down the aisle and punch a drama teacher in the face.

Deep Blue

No, you're not; they're tacky, tasteless and sleazy.

Young girls are already over-sexualised enough without this.

mind you the fake hair and tan in kids Irish dancing is trying to nip at the heels
When my daughter's dancing teacher asked to enter her in competition, I enquired about the wigs, tan and make-up.
Apparently they're de rigeur nowadays. We declined, and became the outcasts in local Irish dancing circles.
There was just no way I could let a child be painted like a two-bit hooker.

No amount of persuading would convince the organisers that a child's natural beauty needed no embellishment.

D

Dylan2010

When my daughter's dancing teacher asked to enter her in competition, I enquired about the wigs, tan and make-up.
Apparently they're de rigeur nowadays. We declined, and became the outcasts in local Irish dancing circles.

No amount of persuading would convince the organisers that a child's natural beauty needed no embellishment.
I'd fully agree, While I think Irish dancing is as worthy an activity as anything , I'm guessing it attracts a certain type of neurotic mom that must be creating a lot of stresses for their kids unrelated to the talent required to do well in a competition.

sadmal

Good on you, I think they look terrible with those curly wigs, the full make up and fake tans. If every parent said No loud and clear to the wigs, make up and tans Irish dancing would go back to being a simple hobby.

Nemesiscorporation

I assume you know I normally come down on the side of openness and freedom to do what you want.

The Dail needs to legislate to stop this in its tracks before it even starts.

This event is child abuse, nothing else.