US border crisis

Dame_Enda

Euronews has also reported it. Its the President of Guatemala who is saying it. Daily Mail also reporting it.

Guatemalan president claims to have caught 100 ISIS operatives | Daily Mail Online

.....Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales boasted on Thursday that under his guidance, security detail has been able to capture almost 100 ISIS terrorist.

Morales shared the news while giving a speech at the second Conference for Prosperity and Security in Central America in Washington D.C. on October 11 and 12.

The president claimed that his administration has captured 'close to 100 people completely linked to terrorist issues, with ISIS and that not only have we arrested them within our territory, but they have been deported to their countries of origin.'..Secretary of Social Communication for the Presidency, Alfredo Brito, added that the additional data on the captures was 'protected information of National Security,' Guatemalan newspaper Prensa Libre reported.

The president claimed that his administration has captured 'close to 100 people completely linked to terrorist issues, with ISIS and that not only have we arrested them within our territory, but they have been deported to their countries of origin' +4
The president claimed that his administration has captured 'close to 100 people completely linked to terrorist issues, with ISIS and that not only have we arrested them within our territory, but they have been deported to their countries of origin'

Brito asserted that the president mentioned the news 'because it is a work in coordination with the different intelligence and security agencies.'

Secretary of Stategic Intelligence, Mario Duarte, reaffirmed that 'the individuals intercepted, detained, prosecuted or returned to their country of origin, is close to 100.'

While Duarte alluded that info pertaining to the arrest were confidential, he did point to a 2016 incident where 'several citizens of Syrian origin who were detained with false documents were detained, for which they were prosecuted and subjected to criminal proceedings.' Those people were said to have been deported. ...

Beachcomber

Well, 'defended' just after the point when enough maids and pool-boys for Los Angeles have been allowed in. Must be pragmatic about these things.

There is indeed that hypocrisy within US society.

Even some hardline Republicans have been found to have been employing illegal immigrants, on the basis that the illegal immigrants work for next to nothing.

I'm sure that each person thinks along the lines "well, the illegal immigrant that I employ doesn't mean much in the big picture" but it's a widespread problem.

Dame_Enda

There is indeed that hypocrisy within US society.

Even some hardline Republicans have been found to have been employing illegal immigrants, on the basis that the illegal immigrants work for next to nothing.

I'm sure that each person thinks along the lines "well, the illegal immigrant that I employ doesn't mean much in the big picture" but it's a widespread problem.
They dont necessarily always know they are employing illegals though. If there was a Wall then - like has happened in Hungary - the flow of illegals would end. I do agree though that there has always been a faction within the GOP that wants to turn a blind eye to this for reasons of cheap labour.

Beachcomber

This group is at the Mexican border. If they are walking, they will be a long time getting anywhere near the US. Anyway, a small group of men, women and children is hardly an unmanageable crisis for these two governments.
44 days until they get to the US border.

Beachcomber

They dont necessarily always know they are employing illegals though. If there was a Wall then - like has happened in Hungary - the flow of illegals would end. I do agree though that there has always been a faction within the GOP that wants to turn a blind eye to this for reasons of cheap labour.
Yes they do.

Do these employers not ask for official documentation of status of their employees?

The employers know full well that the people that they hire for next to nothing are illegals.

Beachcomber

The article quoted there, no doubt from a highly reputable journalistic source, says that 'nearly 100 terrorists' were 'apprehended' in Guatemala.

How, if they were 'apprehended' can they still be on the march toward the shining city on a hill?

Perhaps the message is that they may not have detected all the ISIS plants.

Dame_Enda

The President of Guatemala has confirmed it.

Beachcomber

Trumps hands are tied by the Posse Comitatus Act, which bars the military from being used for law enforcement without Congressional permission. He could however use his power to withhold remittances from non-cooperating countries. It was disgraceful that Mexico opened the gates btw. And before you tell me that the GOP controls Congress, you need 60 votes to cut off debate in the Senate which they dont have.

So you're showing one again that Trump is essentially powerless, despite all of his bluster.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Ignorance of the law is no defence.

Dame_Enda

Oh well then. The Presidents of Guatemala have always been a touchstone for veracity in my lifetime.
Thats the kind of head in the sand liberalism that led to 911. Time for the Left to recognise the world is a dangerous place.

Beachcomber

Trumps hands are tied by the Posse Comitatus Act, which bars the military from being used for law enforcement without Congressional permission. He could however use his power to withhold remittances from non-cooperating countries. It was disgraceful that Mexico opened the gates btw. And before you tell me that the GOP controls Congress, you need 60 votes to cut off debate in the Senate which they dont have.
"The Posse Comitatus Act does not apply to the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard when acting in a law enforcement capacity within its own state when ordered by the governor of that state or in an adjacent state if invited by that state’s governor."

Beachcomber

Ignorance of the law is no defence.
Republicans think it is though, especially when the law inhibits what they see as being "business".

If there's money to be made "conservatives" forget much of what they usually whine about.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Thats the kind of head in the sand liberalism that led to 911. Time for the Left to recognise the world is a dangerous place.
Wait- the nearly 100 terrorists were carrying fuelled passenger jets with them?

I have a question. Of all the ways ISIS terrorists could choose to enter the US, this lot decided the best way was to hide in migrants heading north with major media attention on the movement of people, they would hope to sneak past increased security on national borders along the way.

100 ISIS terrorists with presumably false IDs?

Cheeky. Very cheeky. Where did they land in the first place?

I have a radical solution for this issue.

A border guard along the way or police officer might like to shout out 'Hey Mohammed!' and see how many of the crowd passing him turn to answer instinctively.

You'd sweep up at least 60% of them that way.

Dame_Enda

I have a question. Of all the ways ISIS terrorists could choose to enter the US, this lot decided the best way was to hide in migrants heading north with major media attention on the movement of people, they would hope to sneak past increased security on national borders along the way.

A border guard along the way or police officer might like to shout out 'Hey Mohammed!' and see how many of the crowd passing him turn to answer instinctively.

Well they have been very successful at pushing past the so-called 'security' up to now. The cops evening opening the gates for them on the Mexican/Guatemalan border. Mexico is one of the most corrupt and dangerous countries on the plan. Paul Ryan referred to it a while back as a "failed state". Remember the druglord El Chapo bribed his way out of prison in Mexico. So dont fool yourself that the rulers of Mexico arent up to their necks in this just like the Libyan warlords are in the Meditteranean trafficking business.

Also Mexico gets $28 bn a year in remittances from the US so they and other Latin American countries benefit from that too,

Dame_Enda

"The Posse Comitatus Act does not apply to the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard when acting in a law enforcement capacity within its own state when ordered by the governor of that state or in an adjacent state if invited by that state’s governor."
Well Brian Sandoval (Nevada governor) was not very helpful on this last year.

9/11 Hijackers started visiting US from 1998-99.

Getting in as part of a latino group means you blend in and stay blened in until required.

US nabbed Russians and Chinese spy who had been in US for decades and guaranteed that Russia and China have done the same.

Beachcomber

Well Brian Sandoval (Nevada governor) was not very helpful on this last year.
As I keep saying - the US is a mess.

When this caravan gets to the Mexico/US border will the US be prepared, or will various US politicians be spending their time whining at each other?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies