US food stamps midnight run

Midnight grocery runs capture economic desperation - Yahoo! News

Interesting take on US shopping habits for people receiving Food stamps and the way retailers are reacting in addressing this with value based offers at particular times.

To be fair this is nothing new as retailers have looked at spending habits and cash availability for years which is why come pay day different offers are in store to what is available mid month.

I think potentially with next 5 years many Western European Governments may take the debit card approach as a way of controlling welfare expenditure in what people can spend welfare on.

As unpalatable as it seems I reckon Tories in Uk will go down this approach within 5 years with bans on items deemed unhealthy which will provide its own culture change.

spidermom

There's little difference here on child benefit day..or on a thurs evening Odie.
We may not have the scale as all!!..

There's little difference here on child benefit day..or on a thurs evening Odie.
We may not have the scale as all!!..
Difference is people can spend the cash on whatever they want............this is the difference in the US as believe in some states buying Alcohol / Cigarettes etc with Food Stamps is prohibited.

spidermom

Difference is people can spend the cash on whatever they want............this is the difference in the US as believe in some states buying Alcohol / Cigarettes etc with Food Stamps is prohibited.
Agreed..but not everyone on welfare is buying fags and Dutch Gold you know...and you do know!!

spidermom

Didn't suggest they were but you also know that Welfare days are good days for pubs.
Don't babe....don't go to pubs that much!
But am on the ground in a "real" way...(cripes sound like Mother teresa....)...those that are pee-eyed on a Thurs are the same lot that have always been so!!
They are a sad lot...they'd suck an alcohol swab if you let them...and in 25 years..it has always been so!
There's actually no great increase (now)in the drink as far as I can see.We are back to the usual. We have lost the D4 types mixing though and that to be honest is a huge relief. The drunks are far easier to deal with!

NYCKY

As an aside, I heard on the radio during the week that NYs Mayor Bloomberg was going to attempt to ban the use of food stamps to purchase soda in NYC. Not sure if this will fly but if it does it could be a good harbinger.

Cassandra Syndrome

Yes, 1 out of 7 are relying on food stamps in the US. What's the point here?

florin

In all states. Some even don't allow you to buy soft drinks.

myksav

Interesting take on US shopping habits for people receiving Food stamps and the way retailers are reacting in addressing this with value based offers at particular times.

To be fair this is nothing new as retailers have looked at spending habits and cash availability for years which is why come pay day different offers are in store to what is available mid month.

I think potentially with next 5 years many Western European Governments may take the debit card approach as a way of controlling welfare expenditure in what people can spend welfare on.

As unpalatable as it seems I reckon Tories in Uk will go down this approach within 5 years with bans on items deemed unhealthy which will provide its own culture change
Sounds like there is a desire to have everyone on SW using a Debit Card instead of cash, with the idea of controling the purchasing of those on SW.
Why don't Gov'ts just do the shopping for the SW and ship it directly to the cupboards of the "dolies"?

Odie, given the screams of publicans about their drop in income from sales of alcohol and the massive recent increase in SW recipients, making claims that those on SW spend most of their money on alcohol is a load of horsefeathers.

Spidermom put it fairly clearly, and isn't it nice that the recession has given us the extra bit of spare time to notice the 14 guys that have always been sitting in the same place as they have the past 20 years or more. :)

Sounds like there is a desire to have everyone on SW using a Debit Card instead of cash, with the idea of controling the purchasing of those on SW.
Why don't Gov'ts just do the shopping for the SW and ship it directly to the cupboards of the "dolies"?

Odie, given the screams of publicans about their drop in income from sales of alcohol and the massive recent increase in SW recipients, making claims that those on SW spend most of their money on alcohol is a load of horsefeathers.

Spidermom put it fairly clearly, and isn't it nice that the recession has given us the extra bit of spare time to notice the 14 guys that have always been sitting in the same place as they have the past 20 years or more. :)
Going the route of debit card would eliminate lot of post office business.

Nobody is making claims that everyone on SW is spending it on alcohol but there are people who do.

Governments taking a line doing this would expect to be abused But OTOH I would not be surprised were this to occur.

Govt can legitimately state that the state is not paying for the Alcohol or Cigarette habits of claimants. If people dislike this then they are happy to indicate a refusal to accept state money for doing nothing.

rhonda15

been a while since I posted anything by Ron Paul

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8j0fkAw_0M]YouTube - Ron Paul: We Can't Say Cut Spending For Food Stamps But NOT For The Military Industrial Complex![/ame]

kerdasi amaq

but doesn't the government get back a lot of that money in excise duty?

If people on the dole stop drinking alcohol; couldn't that bankrupt the state?

myksav

Nobody is making claims that everyone on SW is spending it on alcohol but there are people who do.
Yeah, that claim does get made here often enough, most of the unemployed people I know don't drink that much anyway, not even when they worked and had more money to spend.

Going the route of debit card would eliminate lot of post office business.

Governments taking a line doing this would expect to be abused But OTOH I would not be surprised were this to occur.

Govt can legitimately state that the state is not paying for the Alcohol or Cigarette habits of claimants. If people dislike this then they are happy to indicate a refusal to accept state money for doing nothing.
I'm just picturing a SW debit card scenario. :D
No cigarettes, no alcohol, only healthy foods. Result: A lot of healthier, more irritated and exceedingly sober unemployed people aimed at the Gov't of the day. :shock:

If that doesn't scare the pants off politicians....

Yeah, that claim does get made here often enough, most of the unemployed people I know don't drink that much anyway, not even when they worked and had more money to spend.

I'm just picturing a SW debit card scenario. :D
No cigarettes, no alcohol, only healthy foods. Result: A lot of healthier, more irritated and exceedingly sober unemployed people aimed at the Gov't of the day. :shock:

If that doesn't scare the pants off politicians....
Possibly but people healthier then less deaths by heart disease possibly.

I see it happening in UK with Debit card TBH as arguement that dole is not there for booze and fags will be a vote winner.

Baron von Biffo

As unpalatable as it seems I reckon Tories in Uk will go down this approach within 5 years with bans on items deemed unhealthy which will provide its own culture change.
We wont go with a debit card here because the shopkeepers would scream blue murder if a large chunk of their income was exposed to Revenue scrutiny. They likes their cash, these lads and lassies.

We wont go with a debit card here because the shopkeepers would scream blue murder if a large chunk of their income was exposed to Revenue scrutiny. They likes their cash, these lads and lassies.
Didn't realise the potential benefit that could be obtained via this as for some retailers it gets kinda hard to claim only taking €5000 a week when Debit card is showing €4995 going in.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies