• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

US foreign policy comedy gold

Trainwreck

I would have been a harsh critic of US foreign policy under the Obama administration. It seemed to me that complete morons were shaping global events for which we are now paying the price.

It turns out it was true. The foreign policy guru, not only shaping policy but leading a docile media by the nose, was some chancer who was a failed author.

Experience? Zip.
Degrees in foreign policy or politics? Nada.

This is downright scary. The least experienced president in decades and he chose someone who knew and had experienced even less than him:

The Aspiring Novelist Who Became Obama

GDPR

"The idea of someone with a masters in fiction who had also co-authored the Iraq Study Group and 9/11 Commission reports seemed perfect for a candidate who put so much emphasis on storytelling" LOL :).

Spanner Island

If you're a hawk Obama will always seem to have been a disaster to you.

If you're a dove Obama won't seem to have been so bad.

I reckon after the Bush fiasco and considering what will come post-Obama that history will be kind to Obama.

He may not have lived up to the hype... but then no-one could... and the American political 'system' is a shambles...

And sure look at where all the 'experienced' eejits in the Bush administration got the world..? into a right f***in' mess.

Obama made gains with Cuba, Iran and various other countries... and Bin Laden was tackled on his watch too...

Libya was a disaster... Guantanamo is still open... and the red line in Syria threat proved to be nothing close to a red line... so there are positives and negatives all over the place...

But then how many Americans were killed in combat or terrorism during Obama's 8 years?

And then compare it to 8 years of Bush...

Yep - history will be ok to Obama I reckon.

GDPR

Ah now did any of you actually read the link?

I did and it was very interesting. This guy is shaping nothing - he is basically just a very effective press officer. Same as Bernard Ingham was in his day. Interestingly enough the fact that the US MSM has basically bowed out of any serious foreign reportage means they are taking their line from whomever will give them one - they have no bureaus, or stringers or Our Men In Havana anymore.

The upthrust seemed to be that Obama does want to disengage from the ME but in reality the US will not be able to - whether Obama or Rhodes wants to or not - because that is where they are postioned.

The rhinos in the parlour are OIL and ISRAEL.

The rest if the article was just one journo fascinated by another journo.

Analyzer

Au contraire. Obama would be fine were it not for the appointment of HRC as secretary of state in charge of directing Foreign policy.

HRC caused Benghazi and other failures. Obama has focussed on domestic policy.

Fractional Reserve

Au contraire. Obama would be fine were it not for the appointment of HRC as secretary of state in charge of directing Foreign policy.

HRC caused Benghazi and other failures. Obama has focussed on domestic policy.
Domestic policy , drivin the blacks to riot and go daft

darkhorse

I reckon after the Bush fiasco and considering what will come post-Obama that history will be kind to Obama.

He may not have lived up to the hype... but then no-one could... and the American political 'system' is a shambles...

And sure look at where all the 'experienced' eejits in the Bush administration got the world..? into a right f***in' mess.

Obama made gains with Cuba, Iran and various other countries... and Bin Laden was tackled on his watch too...

Libya was a disaster... Guantanamo is still open... and the red line in Syria threat proved to be nothing close to a red line... so there are positives and negatives all over the place...

But then how many Americans were killed in combat or terrorism during Obama's 8 years?

Not sure how you can say Iran and Cuba were gains when all he succeeded in doing was to strengthen the existing totalitarian regimes which is likely to prove disastrous for the local populations ....
Closing Guantanamo was another idiotic idea as it leaves the US with nowhere to house captured international terrorists

Sen. Ayotte: We need to have Guantanamo | On Air Videos | Fox News

maxflinn

Under Obama we've seen the destruction of Syria by way of backing Wahhabist terrorists to try to overthrow the regime and the destruction of Libya by way of backing similar types who overthrew the regime.

A handful of dead Americans, and what: upwards of 350,000 dead Muslims, and thousands of Christians, and seven or eight million people displaced, and a refugee crisis swamping Europe, and the rise of ISIS.

A coup in Ukraine that led to more death and destruction there and has left the country penniless and caused US/Russia relations to go back to cold war levels.

Yeah, Obama is some fu**ing dove alright...

maxflinn

Watch our jumped-up little leprechaun Prime Minister defend Obama's destructive, murderous actions here. He could get a job with the US State Department when we're finally rid of him:

[video=youtube;CnJCvKA-oEU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnJCvKA-oEU[/video]

Polly Ticks

US foreign policy has nothing to do with the politics of left or right. That's just power theatre for the masses. BS.

The USA is in a state of permawar because of demographics.

It is dominated by Anglo-Saxons and people of Germanic descent.

When that changes, when the dominance of British and Germanic traditions fade --and I give it a few generations-- the war-mongering will decrease.

Boy M5

I would have been a harsh critic of US foreign policy under the Obama administration. It seemed to me that complete morons were shaping global events for which we are now paying the price.

It turns out it was true. The foreign policy guru, not only shaping policy but leading a docile media by the nose, was some chancer who was a failed author.

Experience? Zip.
Degrees in foreign policy or politics? Nada.

This is downright scary. The least experienced president in decades and he chose someone who knew and had experienced even less than him:

The Aspiring Novelist Who Became Obama
Was this fella National Security Advisor?

owedtojoy

Absolutely.

The racists and obsessives who despise the President will never get over a black man becoming the most successful President since Ronald Reagan.

owedtojoy

Nah.

The thread is just another makey-up rant opportunity for the Obamaphobes.

Search around for the birther threads (there were at least three) and about another half-dozen "We hate Obama" threads.

There are a good laugh on one level, on another they gives a very poor impression of the intellectual capacity of the posters, except their capacity for sheer hatred.

maxflinn

I wonder how much 'hate' there would be for him if he butchered Jews instead of Muslims, Owedtojoy. I guess you wouldn't say critics were just racists then, eh..

Clanrickard

I wonder how much 'hate' there would be for him if he butchered Jews instead of Muslims, Owedtojoy. I guess you wouldn't say critics were just racists then, eh..
Post 15 from our resident anti-Semite in chief.

maxflinn

Or put another way: If a black American man went on a rampage and murdered 10 innocent Muslims, and people all around the world criticised him. Would they be racists?

No, they would be criticising the actions.

Obama is responsible for the death of thousands upon thousands of innocent Muslims. Hillary Clinton is responsible for the death of many innocent Muslims too.

You're not racist, you don't hate women, when criticising their crimes.

But then to many people killing innocent Muslims isn't a crime at all.

darkhorse

A 'Deputy' National Security Advisor - but a favourite of Obama's
He split the beans on how easy it is for them to manipulate the press and what low regard the Administration holds them

Orbit v2

“All these newspapers used to have foreign bureaus,” he said. “Now they don’t. They call us to explain to them what’s happening in Moscow and Cairo. Most of the outlets are reporting on world events from Washington. The average reporter we talk to is 27 years old, and their only reporting experience consists of being around political campaigns. That’s a sea change. They literally know nothing.”

In this environment, Rhodes has become adept at ventriloquizing many people at once. Ned Price, Rhodes’s assistant, gave me a primer on how it’s done. The easiest way for the White House to shape the news, he explained, is from the briefing podiums, each of which has its own dedicated press corps. “But then there are sort of these force multipliers,” he said, adding, “We have our compadres, I will reach out to a couple people, and you know I wouldn’t want to name them — ”

“I can name them,” I said, ticking off a few names of prominent Washington reporters and columnists who often tweet in sync with White House messaging.

Price laughed. “I’ll say, ‘Hey, look, some people are spinning this narrative that this is a sign of American weakness,’ ” he continued, “but — ”

“In fact it’s a sign of strength!” I said, chuckling.

“And I’ll give them some color,” Price continued, “and the next thing I know, lots of these guys are in the dot-com publishing space, and have huge Twitter followings, and they’ll be putting this message out on their own.”

This is something different from old-fashioned spin, which tended to be an art best practiced in person. In a world where experienced reporters competed for scoops and where carrying water for the White House was a cause for shame, no matter which party was in power, it was much harder to sustain a “narrative” over any serious period of time. Now the most effectively weaponized 140-character idea or quote will almost always carry the day, and it is very difficult for even good reporters to necessarily know where the spin is coming from or why.
"Ventriloquizing" and "weaponized 140-character ideas". Contemptuous and scary stuff.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Funnily enough I can recall a time when the western press used to dismiss the Soviet Pravda for exactly the same techniques.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies