• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

US Getting Around to Inventing an Excuse to Intervene in Syria?

Nedz Newt

The US has confined itself to supply-and-support assistance for rebels in Syria so far - though the rationale for supporting the rebels at all (when judged against US interests) is not obvious.

To actually intervene, and probably settle things, the US needs some sort of game-changer such as use of chemical weapons by the Assad regime.

And what do you know......! "Evidence" of just this very thing is beginning to emerge. Invasion ahoy (after a suitable "WMD style" soften up), get the popcorn ready...

US - Syria used chemical weapons on a small scale - RTÉ News

P Ryan

I came across this the other night, pretty poignant when compared with the present day, considering in this tale a banking crisis kickstarts the crisis in the middle east :)

[video=youtube;knSSUEdLcvg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knSSUEdLcvg[/video]

Grizzly

What a load of crap.

Sixteen Syrian government troops died in the chemical weapon attack on a village under their control. The 'rebels' had previously uploaded a video of them testing chemical weapons on rabbits and at the time were in control of Syria's only chlorine gas factory.

The Syrian government forces are currently wiping the floor with the rebels, and if the pace keeps up they'll be finished by Christmas. Ad to this the fact that Hezbollah has gotten sick and tired of these 'rebels' lobbing mortars into their areas and has in the space of a week overrun the FSA in most villages close to the border. The FSA are finished and without US airforce help won't last much longer.

Will the US be stupid enough to help this latest batch of Islamic extremists without thinking of the consequences this funding will have years down the line?

Dame_Enda

To be fair the British and French are saying the same thing.

darkknight

video evidence of chemical attacks in Syria - this one from is from Aleppo

[video=youtube;_GsIIBroxK0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GsIIBroxK0[/video]

The Field Marshal

To be fair the British and French are saying the same thing.
Whats happening in Syria is tragic civil war.

The Jihadists and Al Qeuda terrorists have sided with the rebels.

All foreign govts should stay out of the conflict.

Any armed assistence to the rebels will inevitably strenghten these terrorists.

YongHoi

Shaving foam?

Brian Foley

This Merry-go-round again, WMD was the excuse they used against Iraq still havent found any, never was any, just a lie to invade Iraq. This latest fermentation against Syria is designed to further threaten Iran, Syrias ally. When America and NATO eventually get around to invading Iran I got a feeling it wont be the cakewalk they expect. I only hope Israel gets a well deserved drubbing.

NYCKY

This Merry-go-round again, WMD was the excuse they used against Iraq still havent found any, never was any, just a lie to invade Iraq. This latest fermentation against Syria is designed to further threaten Iran, Syrias ally. When America and NATO eventually get around to invading Iran I got a feeling it wont be the cakewalk they expect. I only hope Israel gets a well deserved drubbing.

Leaving aside the WMD/Iraq issue, how do you feel about the people of Syria?

TheWexfordInn

Is there any actual evidence of chemical weapons being used? I don think that video constitutes evidence. On BBC radio this morning they said that this latest claim about chemical weapons has come from a non-governmental source in Israel who hasn't made any evidence public. Apparently Netanyathu didn't raise this topic during Obamas recent visit to Israel which surely he would have if he was sitting on a pile of evidence.

It all smells fishy to me and will so until someone makes some convincing evidence public, if the evidence is there why not publicise it? I don't think people will accept innuendo and gossip as evidence after the WMD in Iraq debacle.

Crazy horse 6

The US has confined itself to supply-and-support assistance for rebels in Syria so far - though the rationale for supporting the rebels at all (when judged against US interests) is not obvious.

To actually intervene, and probably settle things, the US needs some sort of game-changer such as use of chemical weapons by the Assad regime.

And what do you know......! "Evidence" of just this very thing is beginning to emerge. Invasion ahoy (after a suitable "WMD style" soften up), get the popcorn ready...

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Crazy horse 6

It's long overdue thats for sure.

parentheses

The FSA are finished and without US airforce help won't last much longer.
Yes. The Americans are now desperate to find an excuse to begin bombing to save the rebels

sic transit

Andy4571

To weaken both Iran and Hezbollah. Not to clued up on ME politics are you.

Ribeye

Evidence???

I saw a piece on this on Newsnight last night,

Lional Hutz wouldn't submit this unfounded sh1te as evidence,

Who collated it, "iceman",

Welcome to the prelude to WW3 boys and girls,

Spanner Island

"US Getting Around to Inventing an Excuse to Intervene in Syria?"

Nah... on the contrary I reckon they're looking for any excuse NOT to intervene in Syria...

Of course if McCain had his way they'd be stuck in already... but then thankfully McCain isn't in office...

One thing is likely however... there will be significant 'blow back' around the world if/when this conflict is resolved and regardless of the result...

There's a lot of Syrians who feel abandoned and betrayed by the world...

Last edited:

Andy4571

Evidence???

I saw a piece on this on Newsnight last night,

Lional Hutz wouldn't submit this unfounded sh1te as evidence,

Who collated it, "iceman",

Welcome to the prelude to WW3 boys and girls,
Full evidence was not on show.

Ribeye

Full evidence was not on show.
Rubbish,

And even if they had anything solid, they have no authority under the Constitution to intervene,

None,

GDPR

To weaken both Iran and Hezbollah. Not to clued up on ME politics are you.
The US, and I would reckon the international community at large, also have a more general interest in strengthening the norm against chemical weapons use, for example by ensuring negative consequences for the user.

I can recommend the following article (blog post, actually) for anyone interested in this stuff:

Jeffrey Lewis • Syria and Sarin