US gun laws and Bump Stocks

brughahaha

I'd imagine , like most on this site, I'm thankfully unfamiliar with guns ...automatic semi automatic etc etc ..they're all just guns to me
Im so unfamiliar around guns (Ive fired one maybe 3 times and an air rifle twice ) that I find armed Police when I travel slightly disconcerting

So as a result of my Gun aversion I found the below article fascinating. Not only are the US gun laws bonkers , but their only saving grace , no machine guns, is easily legally circumvented for just a few dollars

The article explains how the Las Vegas shooter managed to convert his Guns into automatic firing ........machine guns essentially

Some P.iesters might find it of interest

Mods , difficult to find the correct forum for this so move if you wish

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-las-vegas-shooters-accessories-bump-stocks

Cahal

As much as I support more regulations on guns, the Problem in America isn't just guns it there society as a whole.

statsman

I'd imagine , like most on this site, I'm thankfully unfamiliar with guns ...automatic semi automatic etc etc ..they're all just guns to me
Im so unfamiliar around guns (Ive fired one maybe 3 times and an air rifle twice ) that I find armed Police when I travel slightly disconcerting

So as a result of my Gun aversion I found the below article fascinating. Not only are the US gun laws bonkers , but their only saving grace , no machine guns, is easily legally circumvented for just a few dollars

The article explains how the Las Vegas shooter managed to convert his Guns into automatic firing ........machine guns essentially

Some P.iesters might find it of interest

Mods , difficult to find the correct forum for this so move if you wish

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-las-vegas-shooters-accessories-bump-stocks
It's an insane country, with insane laws based on an entirely out-of-date constitution and a dangerous worship of 'self-reliance'. They need to tear everything up and start again, as an actual society.

'orebel

It's an insane country, with insane laws based on an entirely out-of-date constitution and a dangerous worship of 'self-reliance'. They need to tear everything up and start again, as an actual society.
Whilst the insanity was always there the country has changed utterly since September 2001 and there's no going back. Not a very nice place anymore.

statsman

Whilst the insanity was always there the country has changed utterly since September 2001 and there's no going back. Not a very nice place anymore.
And it appears to be getting worse by the day. Collapse point will be reached eventually, and it promises to be very nasty when it arrives.

Franzoni

It never ceases to amaze me the ingenuity people of obvious intelligence put into designing things to kill their fellow human beings at a quicker pace or on a mass scale...

Could these fookwits not put their efforts into designing an electric car with a longer range on the battery between charges or something else useful to humanity....?

firefly123

And it appears to be getting worse by the day. Collapse point will be reached eventually, and it promises to be very nasty when it arrives.
I feel sorry for the Canadians. Lovely people

Maybe they should build a wall?

former wesleyan

[video=youtube;9EH1G4EwljM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EH1G4EwljM[/video]

Jack Walsh

I have travelled the length and breath of it many times and love the place but it is now tearing itself assunder.
I still have faith that Trump will help wake them from their stupor, like a bad acid trip might jolt a causal drug user into sense.

I read Billy Connolly's American road trip on hols a few months out of boredom (was in foyer).
Harmless enough stuff as you'd expect but he made a good stab at the strangeness of it all once he entered the heartland.
Going through Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma he observed people appeared very decent, kind and hospitable.
But it was somewhat misleading
Within seconds they would casually bring up something totally unnecessary regarding God or their faith, followed by guns and inevitably in some cases, downright ugly white supremacy, and then it went full mental conspiracy theory BS.

I think what has depressed me most about Trump's emergence is my own miscalculation.
I knew there were many latent racists to supplement what were told was a "tiny minority of white supremacists" and I knew many of the above "decent evangelicals" were downright frauds, and I knew America (esp since 9/110 is awash with conspiracy loopers but I totally underestimated this segment.
I vastly underestimated the breadth of the apparatus online out there to pound these gullible simpletons
It, as we have seen, is huge, it is powerful, it is ugly and it is dangerous

Ironically, I see Trump as the potential saviour.
He is just so bad, so incomprehensibly useless, incompetent, erratic and petty, that he cannot pull the whole gig (turning America into backward inward looking, single race dominated superpower, whose, largely white population, irrespective of competence, enjoys a wealthy and prosperous life while the rest of the World suffers).

Trump cannot pull that off, and wont, it will fail dismally and hopefully die and people will sober up
In essence, the Bannons of the world had a plan but the guy they latched on to is (unfortunately for them) indeed "a fu*king moron"

Last edited:

brughahaha

There does seem to be , by European standards , a particularly nasty 'militia' culture , endorsed by the (big bucks) gun lobby that brooks no opposition and feels entitled to threaten (if not yet use) gun violence
All this wrapped in a political system that means money and lobbying can yield big results

It does rather seem a catastrophe waiting to happen

Im not sure 911 was the catalyst for the home militias increase in numbers/profile ...think that was Ruby Ridge, Waco and Oklahoma

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I lived there for many years during the 90's and it was fine. Went back around 2004 and it was very, very different.

I heard some halfwit talking about how people armed with concealed carry firearms can help to take out mass shooters on radio the other day, only got a bit of the piece but was suprised the host of the show didn't ask him the obvious question of how are people supposed to differentiate between a vigilante citizen and a mass shooter?

Mass shooter kills a few people, 1st NRA rambo starts firing at him, 2nd NRA rambo sees 1st rambo and shoots at him, a couple of kids cross their path after being herd that way by terror of mass shooter, 3rd NRA rambo gets involved.

We now have 4 people shooting off with innocent people running for safety.

Possibly one of the dumber things to come out of the land of Freedumb.

Bill

There does seem to be , by European standards , a particularly nasty 'militia' culture , endorsed by the (big bucks) gun lobby that brooks no opposition and feels entitled to threaten (if not yet use) gun violence
All this wrapped in a political system that means money and lobbying can yield big results

It does rather seem a catastrophe waiting to happen

Im not sure 911 was the catalyst for the home militias increase in numbers/profile ...think that was Ruby Ridge, Waco and Oklahoma
they should probably have a look at what a militia was understood to be by the men who drafted the US constitution and the second amendment

okibb

they should probably have a look at what a militia was understood to be by the men who drafted the US constitution and the second amendment
That's been challenged more than once.

Interpretation seems to depend on whether it's Democrats or Republicans in power/ in charge of Supreme Court.

I've never been to the US, so reticent to comment, but I think Canada has a similar gun ownership rate with a fraction of the deaths associated.

Don't see gun control coming to US any time soon.

former wesleyan

We're not.
No we're not and neither is America. Which is dead handy because if it was the repercussions would be felt everywhere.

statsman

That's been challenged more than once.

Interpretation seems to depend on whether it's Democrats or Republicans in power/ in charge of Supreme Court.

I've never been to the US, so reticent to comment, but I think Canada has a similar gun ownership rate with a fraction of the deaths associated.

Don't see gun control coming to US any time soon.
Switzerland, too. Which may indicate that US citizens can't be trusted with guns.

okibb

Switzerland, too. Which may indicate that US citizens can't be trusted with guns.
Visited Switzerland in the "80's, beautiful country.

Amazed to see military-type guns in a shop window one Sunday afternoon, in a tiny village.

On a side note, the Swiss look like they are holding a referendum on staying in Schengen next year, prompted by a restrictive new EU directive on firearms.

New Threads

Most Replies