• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

US healthcare system

ManOfReason

Under-insured couple discover that paying out of pocket for blue ribbon cancer treatment in another state is astronomically expensive and are baffled they don't get charged the same rates as massive insurance organisations.

gerhard dengler

A former neighbour of mine while visiting his daughter in the USA, suffered a very serious heart attack.

The cost of his treatment in the USA eventually cost him his home back here in Ireland and that was
in the early 1990's.

mothball

A former neighbour of mine while visiting his daughter in the USA, suffered a very serious heart attack.

The cost of his treatment in the USA eventually cost him his home back here in Ireland and that was
in the early 1990's.
Obviously an honest man because he could have flown home and there is little they could have done to him if he had chosen not to pay.

mhagain

...and this is what Mary Harney wanted for us. This is what happens when market forces, "competitiveness" and supply-side economics are given precedence over public welfare. I await Keith M/etc's comments on this with eager anticipation.

SilverSpurs

The reality is that if you want the best healthcare in the world then you either pay for it at the point of use, pay for your own insurance policy, pay tax into a social insurance fund...............or vote for a politician that promises healthcare paid for by somebody else *er cough* "free healthcare".

Ulster-Lad

What would the story be if a Yank came to Donegal for the Gathering and had a heart attack? What would his chances be of survival and what would his cost be if he was not insured by some high dollar policy?

dizillusioned

What would the story be if a Yank came to Donegal for the Gathering and had a heart attack? What would his chances be of survival and what would his cost be if he was not insured by some high dollar policy?
I can tell you what happens when a Yank ends up in A&E in Ireland from a flight. 9 hours waiting to see a doctor and is seen "first" due to bad image being portrayed.

Hospital bill is never sent (despite no actual care being given) to US address, instead a collection agency based in Switzerland contacts him for 1000euro.

His advice, never ever get sick in Ireland.

CavanFF

There is no such thing as free healthcare or free GP care. Somebody is paying! Dr O'Reilly is being disingenuous about free GP care. The only way I see it happening is that your GP visit is free but nothing else including your drug bill is.