US Imperialism in 2016, US forces in over 60% African countries.I

Kommunist

https://theintercept.com/2016/12/31/u-s-special-operations-numbers-surge-in-africas-shadow-wars/

AFRICA HAS SEEN the most dramatic growth in the deployment of America’s elite troops of any region of the globe over the past decade, according to newly released numbers.

In 2006, just 1% of commandos sent overseas were deployed in the U.S. Africa Command area of operations. In 2016, 17.26% of all U.S. Special Operations forces — Navy SEALs and Green Berets among them — deployed abroad were sent to Africa, according to data supplied to The Intercept by U.S. Special Operations Command. That total ranks second only to the Greater Middle East where the U.S. is waging war against enemies in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and Yemen.

I think it's genuinely disturbing how far reaching the role of the United States military has expanded since the collapse of the USSR. There are bases everywhere, troops everywhere, control, everywhere. History has also shown (Venezuela, Cuba, Ukraine, etc) that demonstrations to governments which don't tow the line always happen to be organized from US embassies and originate (EuroMaidan) in the areas where the US embassy is located.

I think that if Ireland had socio-economic changes occur that would not be favourably disposed to tax evasion, multinationals and US-NATO-EU foreign policy we too would see a conspiracy emerge by the "opposition" organized by the vast resources of the US Foreign Affairs presence in Ireland.

What do people think? Is it appropriate for one country to have hundreds of bases? Is it correct for one country to dispatch thousands of soldiers to other countries so regularly?

Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, but to name a few are countries that have had pretty direct interventions from the United States and the results have been devastating and chaotic. Thousands of deaths, refugees and the rise of Islamic Fundamentalist (also ironically receiving huge money from the United States).

Clanrickard

https://theintercept.com/2016/12/31/u-s-special-operations-numbers-surge-in-africas-shadow-wars/

I think it's genuinely disturbing how far reaching the role of the United States military has expanded since the collapse of the USSR. There are bases everywhere, troops everywhere, control, everywhere. History has also shown (Venezuela, Cuba, Ukraine, etc) that demonstrations to governments which don't tow the line always happen to be organized from US embassies and originate (EuroMaidan) in the areas where the US embassy is located.

I think that if Ireland had socio-economic changes occur that would not be favourably disposed to tax evasion, multinationals and US-NATO-EU foreign policy we too would see a conspiracy emerge by the "opposition" organized by the vast resources of the US Foreign Affairs presence in Ireland.

What do people think? Is it appropriate for one country to have hundreds of bases? Is it correct for one country to dispatch thousands of soldiers to other countries so regularly?

Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, but to name a few are countries that have had pretty direct interventions from the United States and the results have been devastating and chaotic. Thousands of deaths, refugees and the rise of Islamic Fundamentalist (also ironically receiving huge money from the United States).
*warning* Conspiraloon website!

Armchair Activist

Kommunist

"I don't like facts"

Analyzer

ShowBama. Because it was all for show.

Analyzer

Kommunist

Only CNN and BBC tell the truth.

Spanner Island

Any reliable links or is this just a case of if something is said enough by enough people it eventually becomes fact in our post truth world?

Chances are increased percentages of US deployments in Africa are due to reductions in places like Afghanistan, Iraq etc... and in the case of Africa... are possibly a reaction to China buying up that continent.

Plus is the US invading these countries? Are they sending troops without the local government's knowledge or against their wishes..?

Sadly for you most countries welcome such deployments which are not regarded as hostile... other than by Putin apologists and their ilk.

Do you really? Fascinating.

'Appropriate' has nothing to do with it. If countries wish to co-operate with the US which may or may not include the deployment of US troops and equipment then it's up to them... whether you like it or not.

Afghanistan was justified. Iraq was not. Libya was a mess predominantly led by Britain and France. The US was reluctant to commit much there at all... as it has also been in Syria... allowing Putin to do whatever the f*** he wants there... and not a whimper out of lefties about it...

No demos. No marches. No f***in' nothing.

Kommunist

Afghanistan was justified.
Not even gonna bother dignifying this with a response to be honest

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Good. So we can turn over and go back to sleep so. Nothing to see here.

Myers Mimnagh

That's great news, the good guys are in there keeping us safe.

Rock on.

EUrJokingMeRight

over 60%?

I take it that that means 69%?

Over 60% sounds less bad than under 70%!

HarshBuzz

I take it we are OK with what China is up to in Africa (and South America for that matter)?

Kommunist

What are they up to in Africa?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies