US military intelligence agencies have influenced over 1,800 movies and TV shows

silverharp

Not a secret Im sure but interesting to note the reach the US military have in red or green lighting movies and also script changes to suit. Their involvement make the military look good to future recruits so its almost free advertising. Not sure if movies can act a propaganda though. Anyone think their views have been changed because of some line in a superhero movie?

https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/exclusive-documents-expose-direct-us-military-intelligence-influence-on-1-800-movies-and-tv-shows-36433107c307

Tom Secker and Matthew Alford report on their astonishing findings from trawling through thousands of new US military and intelligence documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.

The documents reveal for the first time the vast scale of US government control in Hollywood, including the ability to manipulate scripts or even prevent films too critical of the Pentagon from being made — not to mention influencing some of the most popular film franchises in recent years.

This raises new questions not only about the way censorship works in the modern entertainment industry, but also about Hollywood’s little known role as a propaganda machine for the US national security apparatus.

....Another one-line quip that was censored by the DOD came in the James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies.

When Bond is about to HALO jump out of a military transport plane they realise he’s going to land in Vietnamese waters. In the original script Bond’s CIA sidekick jokes ‘You know what will happen. It will be war, and maybe this time we’ll win.’

This line was removed at the request of the DOD.

Similarly Fields of Fire and Top Gun 2 were never made because they couldn’t obtain military support, again due to politically controversial aspects of the scripts.

This ‘soft’ censorship also affects TV. For example, a planned Louis Theroux documentary on Marine Corps recruit training was rejected, and as a result was never made.

gleeful

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

I guess its the same in other military cultures - like Russia and China.

Old Mr Grouser

As I understand it the Chinese military is most definitely under the control of China's national leaders.

I'm not so sure about the situation in the USA.

gleeful

As I understand it the Chinese military is most definitely under the control of China's national leaders.

I'm not so sure about the situation in the USA.
I'm sure it goes both ways, just as in the US. "Military-Industrial-congressional complex"

This is interesting:

"In a very different kind of film, the hugely popular romantic comedy Meet the Parents, Brandon requested that they change a scene where Ben Stiller’s character discovers Robert De Niro’s (Stiller’s father-in-law to be) secret hideaway. In the original script Stiller finds CIA torture manuals on a desk, but Brandon changed that to photos of Robert De Niro with various dignitaries."

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Doesn't surprise me at all. There have been too many icky moments in Hollywood films where certain scenes and lines look crowbarred into the script.

One good thing I have noticed over the past twenty years or so in the occasional burst of catching up with films is that there is more truth emerging about the American Dream and its dark side.

It is as if there are two camps in the creative industries there- the Republican side which cannot bear any negativity about America and another side that is by far the more interesting where often auteurs creep through some interesting and questioning films, series and so on.

I think I became aware of the power of television in the US propaganda business with that loveably ridiculous programme 'CHiPs' where you had two motorcycle policemen patrolling the highways of California solving crime and generally having a whale of a time off duty with beach-houses patrol cops can only dream about and every consumer toy imaginable from dune buggies and sportscars.

if any two highway cops had the sort of lifestyle these boys had the internal affairs people would have been all over them:)

I thought the Hunt for Red October was an interesting film where Hollywood film began to explore the psychology of the 'other side' of the Cold War and to comment on it with some rare insight.

eoghanacht

This is news?

What do people think TV is for?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
This is news?

It is alright as long as you are aware of it. I used to enjoy listening to Radio Free Europe and Radio Moscow alternately for laughs in bed at night when I was in my early teens and had a decent radio for christmas.

Television as a medium is always going to carry propaganda. Although increasingly difficult to find decent propaganda now amid the schlock of reality TV and lowest common denominator turgid nonsense.

Mad as Fish

No surprises there, but it's good to have a number on it.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I think one of the worst cases of propaganda directed at kids I've ever seen was that whole 'Anastasia' thing with picture books based on turning one of the Romanov children into some kind of princess-heroine being chased down by the evil people of Russia.

My small niece was in the back of a car and me being in the front passenger seat she was agitating for me to read the story to her from a picture book- it was a sort of Disneyfication of the Russian revolution and the pictures in it showed this fairy tale princess attempting to escape the ugly mob of people who had been turned on the royal family by wicked people.

I could hear myself faltering in reading it. It was just blatant American nonsense based on a particular worldview and aimed at distorting real history. It was something of a shocker that children were being told this Disneyfied version of real history.

Like Orwell's 1984 with cartoon drawings.

RasherHash

And Nazi Germany.

RasherHash

This is news?

Exactly, and the way rte rows in with the latest requirements of the Anglo-US military-industrial complex.

And people wonder why they are so well paid.

eoghanacht

It is alright as long as you are aware of it. I used to enjoy listening to Radio Free Europe and Radio Moscow alternately for laughs in bed at night when I was in my early teens and had a decent radio for christmas.

Television as a medium is always going to carry propaganda. Although increasingly difficult to find decent propaganda now amid the schlock of reality TV and lowest common denominator turgid nonsense.
The docs on Netflix are very good, saw one recently about media suppression in the aftermath of Hulk Hogan's sex tape law suit.

eoghanacht

I think one of the worst cases of propaganda directed at kids I've ever seen was that whole 'Anastasia' thing with picture books based on turning one of the Romanov children into some kind of princess-heroine being chased down by the evil people of Russia.

My small niece was in the back of a car and me being in the front passenger seat she was agitating for me to read the story to her from a picture book- it was a sort of Disneyfication of the Russian revolution and the pictures in it showed this fairy tale princess attempting to escape the ugly mob of people who had been turned on the royal family by wicked people.

I could hear myself faltering in reading it. It was just blatant American nonsense based on a particular worldview and aimed at distorting real history. It was something of a shocker that children were being told this Disneyfied version of real history.

Like Orwell's 1984 with cartoon drawings.
Sher feudalism especially Russian absolute Monarchy feudalism was great craic.

eoghanacht

If you think propaganda in films is bad, look at the military propaganda in blockbuster video games. And these are all geared towards young boys who will soon be at army recruitment age.

And everyone must remember BONO's little investment in the video game "world in flames" where the plot involved deposing an evil dicktator in Venezuela and taking back control of the oil for 'merica (f*ck yeah!). What utter horsesh*t!

As for China being as bad, rubbish. Chinese cinema does not have remotely the all encompassing reach of hollywood around the globe.

The effect of propaganda in US military propaganda laced through most of our movies and TV series is HUGE. It helps define and reinforces most people's stereotypical pro US anti russia/Iran/china/NK political outlook. Which is why these monsters get away with invading sovereign countries, slaughtering hundreds of thousands of people, and turning them into failed states, with minimal pushback from the sleepwalking populations.

Team America, for all its faults is a good satire of all that.

Durkka, durkka jihad.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
In fairness you would have to counter as well with a number of films that would have been subversive to the American mind being produced by Hollywood as well- in particular the rash of films based on the Vietnam war which questioned the lunacies of that era.

Even films which crept close to the bone- comedy leavened with a serious undertone such as 'Good Morning Vietnam' deserve plaudits for asking the questions.

'Wall Street' which questioned something close to the bedrock of American consumer ideology was another.

'Falling Down' also with Michael Douglas was another interesting comment on the American way and the fallout of the wrong side of the American Dream.

Analyzer

This is news?

There is a very clear explanation as to why the results of television can be described as PROGRAMMING.

RasherHash

LISTOWEL MAN

" i spoke with president Trump by telephone last week, it was a short call "

-Leo Varadkar
July 05, 2017

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies