• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

US Military Training Material Lists Catholics As Dangerous Extremists

General Urko

Army Reserve training material lists Catholics, evangelical Christians and some Jews in 'religious extremism' category along with the KKK, Hamas and Al Qaeda | Mail Online

Is this a bit extreme? I don't remember Catholics ever causing trouble in the States because they were Catholics. Is it down to a traditional fear of them that for example saw the presidential campaign of Al Smith bite the dust i.e. that they were puppets controlled by the Vatican and allowing them power meant Vatican control! This of course never happened in the ROI!:D Given that Latinos are on the way if not already there as the most important demographic and they are vastly predominantly Catholic, isn't it absurd?
Also Catholics are the largest single religious denomination there and among Christians worldwide!

Ren84

Well that's me fukked so. Maybe Ribeye was right about those drones and NDAA. :(

General Urko

Any further comments on this one?

neiphin

god bless america

derryman

He noted that the Army Chief of Chaplains has investigated the presentation and determined that it was 'an isolated incident not condoned by the Department of the Army.'

Might just be an abberation

Aindriu

America, in the main, is run by W.A.S.P.'s.

LamportsEdge

I don't see what the problem is. Most 'catholics' are name-only catholics but as with religious fundamentalists of any kind it is correct to view their loyalties with a certain amount of suspicion.

Anyone who thinks canon law outranks secular law or loyalty under oath to their country should certainly be viewed with suspicion.

The reason that the monarchy in the UK has a law against catholics being close to the throne is because of this fundamentalist notion among some catholics that loyalty to the pope outranks all other loyalties- it isn't because of lingering 'prejudice'.

If you have a religious sect which allows lying under oath if it is in the interests of that sect would you not be a bit daft to be cautious about these people.

You would think in Ireland we'd know a little about that by now what with a former Taoiseach declaring he was 'catholic before Irish'. In which case he should have resigned immediately or been forced to stand down.

wombat

Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
I wonder does he know?

Nemesiscorporation

Army Reserve training material lists Catholics, evangelical Christians and some Jews in 'religious extremism' category along with the KKK, Hamas and Al Qaeda | Mail Online

Is this a bit extreme? I don't remember Catholics ever causing trouble in the States because they were Catholics. Is it down to a traditional fear of them that for example saw the presidential campaign of Al Smith bite the dust i.e. that they were puppets controlled by the Vatican and allowing them power meant Vatican control! This of course never happened in the ROI!:D Given that Latinos are on the way if not already there as the most important demographic and they are vastly predominantly Catholic, isn't it absurd?
Also Catholics are the largest single religious denomination there and among Christians worldwide!

Any country that does not list Opus Dei and Knights of Columbanus along with Taliban and other religious extremists as a a security threat, is playing russian roulette with there entire countries security.

Hitch 22

America, in the main, is run by W.A.S.P.'s.
Remember that scene in The Good Shepherd where Matt Damon's CIA man meets Joe Pesci's mobster to recruit him to assist the government in return for avoiding deportation?

Joseph Palmi: We Italians, we got our families and we got the church. The Irish, they have the homeland. The Jews, their traditions. Even the n*ggers, they got their music. What about you people Mr. Carlson, what do you have?
Edward: The United States of America, the rest of you are just visiting.

Dame_Enda

While undoubtedly Islamist terrorism is an infinitely greater threat to US troops, the warmongering of the Christian Right indirectly threatens them by sending them into Muslim countries, which in turn makes the aforementioned problem worse. However I do sense a certain party-political element to this list, in terms of perhaps poking the GOP core vote in the eye.

Half Nelson

I wonder why the list doesn't include the Freemasons?

This sounds like the San Patricios episode all over again.

Astral Peaks

I am pleasantly surprised that nobody on here has as of yet queried why the Jews aren't on that list. And pleased they haven't, also.

As for Catholics in America, if you think that the older generation were conservative, wait till you see the newer younger generation of American Catholics. To many, Diarmuid Martin would be a dangerous liberal.

Juventutem, a movement for young Catholics who like the old ways, hasscores of activists in a dozen countries. They are media savvy, using blogs, websites and social media to spread the word—and to highlight recalcitrant liberal dioceses and church administrators.

Have a look at this:

http://catholicdefense.blogspot.ie/2011/08/why-are-young-believers-more.html

LamportsEdge

I wonder why the list doesn't include the Freemasons?

This sounds like the San Patricios episode all over again.
Any crew with the notion that they have loyalties above and beyond the society in which they live should be carefully watched. We have seen the damage such people are able to do in the grotesque mushroom cloud over Irish social policy in the last few decades. This is not an 'anti' anyone statement but I have to say that membership in an organisation which asks for loyalty in excess of that owed to your nation is automatically for me a warning sign of narrow fanaticism which sooner or later is going to cause an issue.

No civil or or public servant should ever be a member of any organisation which demands first call on that person's personal loyalties.

Hitch 22

Any crew with the notion that they have loyalties above and beyond the society in which they live should be carefully watched. We have seen the damage such people are able to do in the grotesque mushroom cloud over Irish social policy in the last few decades. This is not an 'anti' anyone statement but I have to say that membership in an organisation which asks for loyalty in excess of that owed to your nation is automatically for me a warning sign of narrow fanaticism which sooner or later is going to cause an issue.

No civil or or public servant should ever be a member of any organisation which demands first call on that person's personal loyalties.
Governments simply do not have the resources or the ability.

As an historical example Ireland the Irish Republican Brotherhood was a secret organisation that inserted itself into every Irish national political, religious, cultural and sporting organisation in Ireland. Front men of the likes of Douglas Hyde in the Gaelic League, Arthur Griffith in the Sinn Féin party, Eoin MacNeill who led the Irish Volunteers, the Irish Catholic hierarchy, W. B. Yeats and Lady Gregory who ran the Abbey were out of the loop. They were useful idiots for a tiny clique in America and Dublin and London who kept a low profile and were actually quietly pulling the strings for decades from the time of the Young Irelanders and the Fenian Rebellion until the foundation of the Irish Free State. The Irish Republican Brotherhood had a global reach from North America to South America, Europe to Australia and everywhere else Irish communities existed.

Presently the Muslim Brotherhood controls a whole spectrum of Muslim organisations throughout the world and operates much like the Bolsheviks and Trotskyites did in the 20th century.

Last edited:

LamportsEdge

Governments simply do not have the resources or the ability.

As an historical example Ireland the Irish Republican Brotherhood was a secret organisation that inserted itself into every Irish national political, religious, cultural and sporting organisation in Ireland. Front men of the likes of Douglas Hyde in the Gaelic League, Arthur Griffith in the Sinn Féin party, Eoin MacNeill who led the Irish Volunteers, the Irish Catholic hierarchy, W. B. Yeats and Lady Gregory who ran the Abbey were out of the loop. They were useful idiots for a tiny clique in America and Dublin and London who kept a low profile and were actually quietly pulling the strings for decades from the time of the Young Irelanders and the Fenian Rebellion until the foundation of the Irish Free State. The Irish Republican Brotherhood had a global reach from North America to South America, Europe to Australia and everywhere else Irish communities existed.

Presently the Muslim Brotherhood controls a whole spectrum of Muslim organisations throughout the world and operates much like the Bolsheviks and Trotskyites did in the 20th century.
Yes- this just emphasises the need for a proper balance and understanding among civil and public servants that really shouldn't require clarification.

Jezza

What about all the Protestant nutters who put the Book of Revelations above any duty to care for this World?

LamportsEdge

What about all the Protestant nutters who put the Book of Revelations above any duty to care for this World?
Basically some of them aren't nuts at all but make a healthy living out of pretending to believe the whole caper. Others just grew up in that environment and the brighter ones among them will say nothing but be in the background of the family photo. The thickest and most likely with the lowest educational attainment and ability might even believe it.

Same as any religious cult really.